Welcome Bart Bush!

  • coolnesspark
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 2, 2005
      Bart, welcome to this site. It's been many moons since I logged on
      this page as new entries weren't being posted very often.

      It's nice to see so many new members and discussion of various
      Harvey Comics.

      Bart, Mark Arnold, in the early 90's, was kind enough to provide me
      with copies of your Harvey newsletter (six I think there were) from
      the late 70's and early 80's. I found those newsletters to be
      informative and for their time, very well done. You certainly were
      one of the earliest "champion" for Harvey Comics because even as
      late as 1979 dealers, conventions, etc. laughed when asked if they
      had any back issues (or at least that's what I experienced).

      I remember your commenting about the sudden price increase for
      Richie Rich # 1 that began in 1979 and lasted through 1982. You
      made a statement back then that I've always remembered and
      ultimately think it was part of the downfall of Harvey Comics. I
      think it was something like "Apparently master Richie owns the
      Harvey Universe". At the time you wrote that it was indeed the case
      as virtually all other characters had gone by the wayside and there
      certainly wasn't any development of new characters on the horizon.

      After reading your newletters I became increasingly interested in
      the Felix the Cat issues that Harvey published. I've since picked
      up those issues and indeed the stories contained in them are
      excellent.

      Spooky has always been my favorite Harvey character and I
      appreciated the issue where you pointed out the various artists that
      worked on these books. I am curious however if you know how long
      that Post worked on Spooky. Was he the artist throughout the entire
      run until the reprints began in 1973?
    • davidrmerrill
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 12, 2005
        --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, coolnesspark <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:

        > I remember your commenting about the sudden price increase for
        > Richie Rich # 1 that began in 1979 and lasted through 1982. You
        > made a statement back then that I've always remembered and
        > ultimately think it was part of the downfall of Harvey Comics. I
        > think it was something like "Apparently master Richie owns the
        > Harvey Universe". At the time you wrote that it was indeed the case
        > as virtually all other characters had gone by the wayside and there
        > certainly wasn't any development of new characters on the horizon.

        Hey, what about Billy Bellhops?

        Actually, the big question I have is, did Harvey ever publish a comic
        starring "Adam Awards", or was that a bad idea that never made it to
        print (unlike Billy Bellhops?)

        I think Jackie Jokers was the last great original Harvey character. I
        mean, a 10-year old kid who behaves like a 50 year old comedian;
        what's not to like?
      • funtimes95070
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 12, 2005
          Adam Awards never made it into print except for that single panel ad
          that ran in the late 70s (Richie Rich presents Adam Awards...He helps
          everyone). The story behind each of these characters is that Alfred
          Harvey asked his sons to create a new character. Alan Harvey created
          Komix Kidd (which finally was published in an ashcan edition by Alan
          in the 90s), Adam Harvey created Adam Awards, and Russel Harvey
          created Billy Bellhops which appeared in the "Richie Rich and Billy
          Bellhops" one-shot as well as on the cover of "Richie Rich Jackpots"
          #8. I don't think Eric Harvey created anything as he was younger.

          Why no other new Harvey characters were created at this point is
          mainly due to internal squabbles that led to Alfred Harvey being
          deposed from his own company in 1977. That the company continued on
          for another five years is somewhat remarkable considering what went
          on.

          It is worth noting that the focus of the company transitioned to the
          dramatic expansion of the Richie line, which reached its peak in
          1979, when the famous "32 titles every two months" phrase first
          appeared. Amazingly, that phrase was really only accurate for about
          two months as the ability for Harvey to maintain that output on a
          consistent basis was not very good.

          The only other new characters created in these latter years, were
          those that were linked to the Richie Universe, such as Mr. Cheepers,
          the Stone-Age Riches, Dr. Blemish, Timmy Time, etc.

          -Mark.

          --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "davidrmerrill"
          <davidrmerrill@y...> wrote:
          > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, coolnesspark
          <no_reply@y...>
          > wrote:
          >

          > > I remember your commenting about the sudden price increase for
          > > Richie Rich # 1 that began in 1979 and lasted through 1982. You
          > > made a statement back then that I've always remembered and
          > > ultimately think it was part of the downfall of Harvey Comics. I
          > > think it was something like "Apparently master Richie owns the
          > > Harvey Universe". At the time you wrote that it was indeed the
          case
          > > as virtually all other characters had gone by the wayside and
          there
          > > certainly wasn't any development of new characters on the
          horizon.

          > Hey, what about Billy Bellhops?
          >
          > Actually, the big question I have is, did Harvey ever publish a
          comic
          > starring "Adam Awards", or was that a bad idea that never made it to
          > print (unlike Billy Bellhops?)
          >
          > I think Jackie Jokers was the last great original Harvey
          character. I
          > mean, a 10-year old kid who behaves like a 50 year old comedian;
          > what's not to like?
        • coolnesspark
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2005
            Adam Awards never appeared anywhere in the actual stories that were
            published. I think it was an idea that started and then fizzled
            before it ever got going.

            As for Billy Bellhops, well...he of course had a short life, but did
            you know that RR & Billy Bellhops # 1 is not Billy's first
            appearance? He actually showed up on an RR cover in late 1973, RR
            Jackpots # 8.