Harvey comics calendars/promo posters

  • Paul Merolle
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
      Does anyone else collect these posters? For those of you unfamiliar with
      them, Harvey sent them to newsstands to promote their mags with the idea
      that they might get additional visibility, better newstand position, and
      increased news-dealer orders if the dealer liked the poster or used the
      calendar on it. I'm a recent Harvey collector, but I've been collecting
      comics since the early 70's and have always picked up nice Harvey books when
      I've seen them at the right price. I've also always picked up these
      posters, but have found very few. Recently, though, I've been actively
      searching for them. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any for sale, or
      even if you could spare scan of what you might have so I know what I'm
      looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
    • Mark Arnold
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 5, 2004
        Typically I have seen them for sale on Ebay. I don't know much more about
        them than what you stated and the fact that they were produced on a monthly
        basis for about 30 years.

        It was just basically a promotional gimmick for Harvey.

        -Mark.

        At 10:08 AM 9/5/04, you wrote:
        >Does anyone else collect these posters? For those of you unfamiliar with
        >them, Harvey sent them to newsstands to promote their mags with the idea
        >that they might get additional visibility, better newstand position, and
        >increased news-dealer orders if the dealer liked the poster or used the
        >calendar on it. I'm a recent Harvey collector, but I've been collecting
        >comics since the early 70's and have always picked up nice Harvey books when
        >I've seen them at the right price. I've also always picked up these
        >posters, but have found very few. Recently, though, I've been actively
        >searching for them. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any for sale, or
        >even if you could spare scan of what you might have so I know what I'm
        >looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • coolnesspark
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2004
          Mark pretty much summed up the history below. There are tons of
          these calendar posters right now on Ebay for sale. I bought a
          boatload of them back in 2001 but they aren't the same ones being
          offered now.

          I've always wondered why they kept producing these for as long as
          they did. Did distributors or newsdealers really pay any attention
          to them or post them where they could be seen? I tend to think not
          as newstand space was generally pretty limited. They certainly make
          great additions to any existing Harvey collection.

          --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Merolle"
          <psmerolle@v...> wrote:
          > Does anyone else collect these posters? For those of you
          unfamiliar with
          > them, Harvey sent them to newsstands to promote their mags with
          the idea
          > that they might get additional visibility, better newstand
          position, and
          > increased news-dealer orders if the dealer liked the poster or
          used the
          > calendar on it. I'm a recent Harvey collector, but I've been
          collecting
          > comics since the early 70's and have always picked up nice Harvey
          books when
          > I've seen them at the right price. I've also always picked up
          these
          > posters, but have found very few. Recently, though, I've been
          actively
          > searching for them. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any for
          sale, or
          > even if you could spare scan of what you might have so I know what
          I'm
          > looking for. Any help would be appreciated.
        • underthebigw1
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 25, 2004
            Somehow, I missed your post. Thanks for the response. Any chance
            you would be willing to send me scans of the posters you have?
            They're so tough to find info on, I'd like to even know what I'm
            looking for. If not, could you send me a list of the numbers and
            characters on them? Any help would be appreciated. I have just
            over 20 of them, the oldest being a year-long calendar from 1953.

            --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, coolnesspark