"Light in the Piazza" Harvey Comics Appearance

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
      I watched a movie at the Stanford Theater as I typically do, every so often. The two movies I watched were "Come September" (1961), a good Rock Hudson-Gina Lollobrigida romantic comedy. Also on the bill was "Light in the Piazza", another romantic comedy starring Yvette Mimieux and George Hamilton, along with Olivia de Havilland. Both were good movies. I preferred "September", but "Piazza" was good for another reason: Harvey Comics!

      Mimieux's character was supposed to be emotionally disturbed and also she hadn't really grown up. To show this, they showed her reading comic books. Highly visible was an issue of "Little Max", that Mimieux actually read. I believe it was issue #51, but couldn't completely tell. It was a yellow cover. I also think a copy of "Little Dot" was visible, but I really couldn't see the cover at all.

      "September" is on DVD, but unfortunately "Piazza" has never been released to home video in any form, else I would post a screen capture here in the Vault.
    • Ben Samuels
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
        That's really cool. I love Little Max comics! Has Max been featured in many back issues of THFT? My favorite stories are the longer pieces that "adapt" childrens stories or fairy tales. I am very proud to own the artwork to "Little Max Sambo":
        http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=48468

        -Ben

        --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <funideas.mark@...> wrote:

        > I watched a movie at the Stanford Theater as I typically do, every so often. The two movies I watched were "Come September" (1961), a good Rock Hudson-Gina Lollobrigida romantic comedy. Also on the bill was "Light in the Piazza", another romantic comedy starring Yvette Mimieux and George Hamilton, along with Olivia de Havilland. Both were good movies. I preferred "September", but "Piazza" was good for another reason: Harvey Comics!
        >
        > Mimieux's character was supposed to be emotionally disturbed and also she hadn't really grown up. To show this, they showed her reading comic books. Highly visible was an issue of "Little Max", that Mimieux actually read. I believe it was issue #51, but couldn't completely tell. It was a yellow cover. I also think a copy of "Little Dot" was visible, but I really couldn't see the cover at all.
        >
        > "September" is on DVD, but unfortunately "Piazza" has never been released to home video in any form, else I would post a screen capture here in the Vault.

      • Shad Daly
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2010
          On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Ben Samuels <ben@...> wrote:

          > That's really cool. I love Little Max comics! Has Max been featured in many back issues of THFT?

          I don't believe there's ever been much about Little Max (or Humphrey
          or Joe Palooka) in THFT.  The closest I can remember is some
          discussion about the early Richie Rich stories that appeared in Little
          Max as backups and were never reprinted anywhere else...

          --
          Shad Z.                      ^Q^
          My Blog: http://www.livejournal.com/~shadzane/