Gathering ideas for research topic

  • Chris H.
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009
      I'm interested in hearing any and all reasons why people read comics, what benefits they derive from the reading of comics? Does comic book reading satisfy certain needs in the reader? What do people get out of reading comics?
    • Mike Bryant
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009
        To put it simply, IMHO, comics are a pleasant (and in most cases humourous) diversion to the humdrum everyday of the disturbing current events we all must contend with on a daily basis. No different than, say, tuning into a humour (sitcom) programme on the telly...except in this case, it's the printed medium....where one can admire the intriguing graphic blandishment (artwork) of the various craftsmen of the trade..

        Just my tuppence, m8...

        Mike Bryant

        "Experience is a great thing; It helps you recognize a mistake when you make it again." - FRIZ FRELENG (1906-1995), Legendary LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES Ditector

        I'm interested in hearing any and all reasons why people read comics, what benefits they derive from the reading of comics? Does comic book reading satisfy certain needs in the reader? What do people get out of reading comics?

      • Phillip Carpenter
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009
          Are you asking why people STILL read comics or are you asking why they started to read them in the first place?
          for me, comics were an extension of Dr. Seuss books and cartoons. Now I read them because they are sentimental and they provide a strong nostalgic force for me. It is really that simple. I want things that remind me of my childhood and the initial moments where the bonds developed. In this case, the question bends into why are there some people that are hooked by nostalgia more than others? Nostalgia defines your past and is  a form of reminiscing. It is intrinsic to what makes us human.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009
            Hear, hear.....I totally agree and concur, m8.....

            Mike Bryant

            "Experience is a great thing; It helps you recognize a mistake when you make it again." - FRIZ FRELENG (1906-1995), Legendary LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES Ditector

            In Antwort Auf:

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 8, 2009
              If you were to present this paper at a conference, if I were the discussant, the first thing I would ask is if you made a distinction between people who actually read comics and those who merely buy them. If you are doing an ethnography of comic book readers, you would certainly want to exclude those whose issues go straight from the store and get boarded, bagged, and boxed.

              I would caution you further that you have posted this on a group that collects a defunct comic book. There have been no Richies since 1994, and there was very little new material in what was issued after 1982. Therefore, we have less reason than most to actually read what we buy; it is almost entirely stories that we have already read, if we ever did.

              I can answer your question from the vantage point of someone who actively read and bought comic books from 1971 to 1978. I enjoyed reading the stories, particularly in settings where reading an actual book was not feasible (e.g., in the car). I was always into the so-called "kid's comics" and didn't care much for adventure comics. I wasn't even that crazy about the Richie Rich adventure stories (e.g., Vault$ of Mysteries). In the earlier years, I read a lot of different comics, but eventually collected Richie nearly exclusively. I think part of this was the sheer volume of Richie material that the publisher started to issue; by the mid-1970s, there were 33 issues of 32 different Richie titles in a two-month cycle. (In this period, the publisher practically quit issuing anything besides Richie.)

              I quit reading comic books at age 13 because it seemed childish. I didn't start collecting again until I was over 30, and as I alluded to above, I rarely read what I buy now.

              I occasionally take a look at comics at the newsstand and am greatly impressed by how much more vivid the color is today. Those early 90s Richies were retreads, but they looked superb.

              Tony

              --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Chris H." <badgetothebone55@...> wrote:

              > I'm interested in hearing any and all reasons why people read comics, what benefits they derive from the reading of comics? Does comic book reading satisfy certain needs in the reader? What do people get out of reading comics?

            • Mark Arnold

                I'm interested in hearing any and all reasons why people read comics, what benefits they derive from the reading of comics? Does comic book reading satisfy certain needs in the reader? What do people get out of reading comics?

                Regards,
                MARK ARNOLD
                Fun Ideas Productions - P. O. Box 2616 - Saratoga, CA 95070

                Buy my Book: "The Best of The Harveyville Fun Times!" -
                http://www.amazon.com/Best-Harveyville-Fun-Times/dp/1847283683

              • Chris H.
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 11, 2009
                  --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Tony" <tlh@...> wrote:

                  > If you were to present this paper at a conference, if I were the discussant, the first thing I would ask is if you made a distinction between people who actually read comics and those who merely buy them. If you are doing an ethnography of comic book readers, you would certainly want to exclude those whose issues go straight from the store and get boarded, bagged, and boxed.
                  >
                  > I would caution you further that you have posted this on a group that collects a defunct comic book. There have been no Richies since 1994, and there was very little new material in what was issued after 1982. Therefore, we have less reason than most to actually read what we buy; it is almost entirely stories that we have already read, if we ever did.

                  Thanks for bringing up that distinction and in fact one or two other people have cautioned me on the same sort of point.

                  Yeah sadly I know Harveys haven't been published for some time. I was an avid Harvey reader in the early 60s and would sit and read through a whole pile with my friend Hassan, and we'd trade books - you know, the way it was supposed to be! I've put together a reasonable little collection of Harveys again, for nostalgia's sake but also because I really like the art, especially the covers, and also the messages underlying the stories.

                  I was very impressed by the article that was published online in ImageText a couple of years ago, doubtless by members of this group:

                  http://www.english.ufl.edu/imagetext/archives/v3_3/jackson/

                  From my own perspective I find this to be one of the best comic book articles around. Harvey comics had a profound influence on my own value system, added to by reading DC and Marvel Comics when I graduated from Casper around 1963-4. I think the impact of early post-code comic book morality on readers is a rich vein that has further research potential.

                  Anyway, I thank you and all others in this group for your input with my current research topic. I just had an article about Charlton Comics published in the online arts journal SCAN:

                  http://scan.net.au/scan/journal/display.php?journal_id=131

                  and previously the first chapter in a very recent book about Captain America:

                  http://www.amazon.com/Captain-America-Struggle-Superhero-Critical/dp/0786437030/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244724860&sr=8-1

                  in case y'all are interested.

                  Any and all further input on the question as to what people get out of reading comic books would be most appreciated.

                  Chris.