Re: [Richie Rich's Vault] Harvey Art Show in NY

  • coolnesspark
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
      Phil, I have to agree with you about some of the strange bidding
      patterns I've seen in the Heritage Auctions. Here's what I've
      noticed: In some of their weekly auctions I've been the high bidder
      on some items that frankly I thought would be bid up higher. At the
      last second I lose (which I know does legitimately happen) but then
      two weeks later the exact same item is being auctioned off on the
      Heritage E-bay listings. Now my first thought was, "oh the high
      bidder must not have fullfilled his obligation" so they are listing
      it again. But then I noticed it happening with some frequency. It's
      almost as if Heritage thought it should sell for more in their weekly
      auction and it doesn't, then there is this mysterious last minute bid
      so it can be re-listed on ebay weeks later. I am probably one of the
      most trusting people there are to a fault and I don't want to think
      this type of transaction is taking place, but I will tell you I'm
      becoming more and more skeptical of this because I see it quite
      often. And furthermore, in those instances where the high bidder
      does not follow through on one of their weekly auction listings, why
      aren't they going back to the next highest bidder and offering the
      item to them? At least Ebay has this option.

      P.S. I don't blame you for paying whatever you did for the cover to
      RR # 14. Probably the best cover of the entire series. I share the
      experience with you of having paid considerably more than market
      value for an item I cherished and had wanted for a long time. I
      didn't care what the "value" was, I wasn't buying it for that
      reason. I'm sure you felt the same.

      --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Carpenter
      <brca12000@...> wrote:

      > I have never seen a file copy Little Dot 8 and am not sure if one
      is even out there. Does anybody know? I know the first 7 are out
      there. I know that #1 is easier to find than others like #6. And that
      is saying something, cause #1 is hard to find. I find issues like #10
      also very hard to find. I am just looking for the originals to some
      of the early Little Dot stories, like "Crime Does Not Play" from
      Little Dot 5 and "From Richie to Rags" from Little Dot 13. I am
      waiting for Heritage to unleash them, but they keep telling people
      that they do not have any of this stuff. We'll see. They have sold
      alot of stuff surrounding these issues.

      > Adam Harvey is the person and I think that he is a grandson. HIs
      ebay name is iceman got it or something like that.

      > Geppi is bidding on Heritage stuff to run the prices up, no doubt.
      That is my uninformed opinion and I have no basis in fact for knowing
      this. To me there can only be one reason. Geppis ebay name is
      mamanook. Why else would he bid on these things? It is not clear
      who owns what although I know that Geppi has bought alot of things
      through Heritage. Notice that Diamond Galleries hardly sells their
      own file copies!

      > Heritage plays all sorts of games with things. Take a look at the
      original Barks oil paintings that keep selling on some weird merry go
      round. Remember that their own employees can bid on things that the
      company sells. How many people know this? Talk about a conflict of
      interest. They just set up side businesses in their names and then
      use that to bid on something at Heritage. Dont ever think that an
      auction house is totally straight up. They are in the business of
      greed and they operate with a
      > cloak of anonominity (sic). That is what I think. You cant even
      tell who is bidding on a Heritage auction! Only the number of
      bidders. With that being said, if you want something from an auction
      house, you have to assume that you will pay the highest price for it.

      > I recently bought the original artwork to Richie 14 from Heritage.
      The price kept going up and up and up and when it hit the floor
      during the waning minutes, a "floor bidder" was suddenly the high
      bidder. But obsession is the hand that fits with the glove of greed
      and so I ended up with it, but I am certain that I paid an additional
      $1,000 on top of the real price. During this time, I was selling a
      bunch of CGC HArvey books, so as far as I am concerned, I made a
      trade for the artwork. The CGC books can always be re-acquired. Im
      not too worried because it is one of a kind; there will be no other
      item like this so I will not get the "file copy" surprise that some
      people have been experiencing. (This was very predicatable). So who
      was the floor bidder? No clue, but I would bet it was somebody that
      works with Heritage. And if they ended up being the high bidder?
      Well, they would just keep it aside like they have done so many other
      things. They would
      > proabably "buy" it but they sure wouldnt pay the 19.5% comission
      would they? Or maybe they would pop it back into an auction in the
      next year. They have time. There are alot of shenanigans like this.
      BUt I just had to have the cover to Richie RIch #14, one of my
      favorite covers. My childhood dreams have never died and when I saw
      RR # 14, the famous comic book cover, I had to get it. And so getting
      ripped off like this, assuming it is even true, was par for the
      course. I have no data to back this story up, but I wasnt born
      yesterday and have been collecting Harveys since 1975! Nothing is
      new under the sun in this business.

      > How many times have you seen Heritage auction the cover to Little
      Dot #6 and why does it hammer and a similar price each time? And who
      owns it now? Well, it is on Jim Halperin's web site and he is the
      owner of Heritage. Hmmmmmmm. CAse in point. Watch for it to come
      back in a future Heritage auction.

      > I usually make it to Wondercon each year, some expcetions, but I am
      sure that I have been to most of the recent ones. We'll meet as I
      dont ever see myself not interested in Harvey, particularly Richie
      Rich and Spooky....

    • Phillip Carpenter
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
        Q, I have also noticed this. Usually I just pass it off by saying that they got a new copy. Heritage has auctioned 5 copies of SPooky #27 in CGC 9.4 (Not sure about variations in page quality). Although I cannot rule this out, I agree that it is suspicious. Heritage never lists the CGC serial number which is the only real way to determine if it is the same thing. I wonder if they get more money on ebay when they do this? THey lose the outrageous 19.5% commission too.
        As for the artwork, I am certain that in most cases, I am going to be the end user to this stuff. And I am happy with that. Richie #14 is one of the best, but #39 is pretty hard to beat as well. Havent seen that one yet! There are some others that I am waiting to see. But they have to look good. The #10 that Is on Heritage looks terrible to me. I wouldnt buy it. Paste up stuff on the cover, xerox copy logo, and alot of that mysterious rubber cement stuff that I cannot figure out why they out this on the edges of the artwork. Does anybody know this?

      • Darrylheine@aol.com
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
          The Harvey Art Show in NYC has nothing to do with this weekend's New York Comic-Con in NYC.
          darrylh60067
        • thft@att.net
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2009
            You are probably thinking about the MoCCA, which actually will have a booth at the NYCC, so they may mention Harvey.

            --
            Regards,

            Mark Arnold
            http://funideas.home.att.net