Re: [Richie Rich's Vault] Harvey Covers at Comic-Covers.com

  • coolnesspark
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 10, 2009
      The problem with those covers around '76-forward was two fold. They
      had the cover and then added the word balloons which were silly for
      the most part and very unnecessary. It's like they had to explain
      the cover gag to us. Eventually it seems as if they'd come up with
      the word balloons first (still pretty silly), and then design the
      cover to match it. Then the titles were enlarged and took up close
      to half of the cover space which didn't help. Like Phil, I can't
      think of too many covers after '75 that were memorable.

      --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Arnold" <thft@...>
      wrote:

      > FYI: The cover logos were designed by Otto Pirkola until 1970.
      > Thereafter, they were designed by Ken Selig...
      >
      > -Mark.
      >
      > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, harveyrichie60 <no_reply@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > -Yeah, it seems by the end of 1975 the covers(fonts) started
      looking
      > > hand drawn instead of the flawless titles from the beginning,
      > > especially when all the comics (except PLRB) titles took up so
      much
      > > space on the cover!
      > >
      > > Robin
      > >

      > > -- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Carpenter
      > > <brca12000@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Cool. It is amazing to see the slow, but progressive
      degeneration
      > > in quality and creativity of the Dollars and Cents covers. Same
      for
      > > other Richie RIch covers. The early ones are great, but the stuff
      at
      > > the end of the run is a disappointment to me. Poor artwork and
      second
      > > rate puns. I stopped buying this stuff at the store around 1977
      > > because of this. I remember missing all of the "adventure covers"
      and
      > > those covers with actual word captions on them. I think the first
      > > word caption Richie cover is Success #43 where Richie turns into
      > > monster. Is this right?
      > > > Oh by the way, I drove to South Carolina and met Sid And Ruth
      > > Couchey today. We met at their son Brian's house. Sid did a
      wonderful
      > > Richie Rich
      > > > collage for me and we were thinking of writing up a little
      story
      > > with some show and tell for the Harveyville Fun Times. What do ya
      > > think?
      > > > The collage is a 3' by 2' painting of a bunch of my favortie
      Richie
      > > Rich cover images. And there is nothing from post 1975!

      Covers.com

    • Mark Arnold
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 10, 2009
        I always thought the post-'75 covers were very n-ice covers....

        -Moderator Mark.

        --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, coolnesspark <no_reply@...>