Rough Sketch -RR #4-

  • richie41269
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 1, 2008
      Well, it appears to be another rough sketch of early Richie. This one
      #4, and it's interesting to see some of the changes made. These are
      not the prelims, they are the very rough ideas of the concept, or
      conceptual sketch. I looked closely at the actual cover next to this
      sketch, and saw many differences. The most notable being the water or
      drink pitcher with the 'R' in place of the gum ball machine.Also, note
      the chair legs, and the diamonds embedded in the fabric, not coins.
      The side notes also are interesting. Mark A and I both agreed after
      looking at much of this stuff (4 hours at the Cartoon museum yesterday
      finalizing the selections for the show,) that these are indeed the
      rough sketches. This will probably zoom out of my budget, as the last
      piece went for almost $1400, but I will have a crack at it anyway.
      Here's the link:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140238010754
    • Phillip Carpenter
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
        looks cool, but it nowhere worth $1400+ in my opinion.

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
          --- In ri

          ...So I guess this person - the Beverly Hills one ( sounds kind of
          rich himself !!!!!!!!! ) - put together these
          collages/installations , of original art and scraps ?
          Could the subscription pitches be " original art " ?
          The now-seller doesn't seem to know what ( I guess . original art -
          the Lotta page - is .

          chierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Carpenter <brca12000@...>

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
            --- In ri

            ...Frankly , couldn't the Richie drawings be later-years "
            convention sketches "/drawings by the original or another harvey
            name ???????????
            Please pardon me if I'm repeating someone else's sentiments , I
            haven't read every post in this line .

            chierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "jgbook2007" <jgbook2007@...> wrote:

            > --- In ri
            >

            > ...So I guess this person - the Beverly Hills one ( sounds kind of
            > rich himself !!!!!!!!! ) - put together these
            > collages/installations , of original art and scraps ?
            > Could the subscription pitches be " original art " ?
            > The now-seller doesn't seem to know what ( I guess . original
            art -
            > the Lotta page - is .
            >

            > chierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Carpenter <brca12000@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > looks cool, but it nowhere worth $1400+ in my opinion.
            > >
            > > richie41269 <richie41269@> wrote: Well, it appears to
            > be another rough sketch of early Richie. This one
            > > #4, and it's interesting to see some of the changes made. These
            are
            > > not the prelims, they are the very rough ideas of the concept, or
            > > conceptual sketch. I looked closely at the actual cover next to
            > this
            > > sketch, and saw many differences. The most notable being the
            water
            > or
            > > drink pitcher with the 'R' in place of the gum ball
            machine.Also,
            > note
            > > the chair legs, and the diamonds embedded in the fabric, not
            coins.
            > > The side notes also are interesting. Mark A and I both agreed
            after
            > > looking at much of this stuff (4 hours at the Cartoon museum
            > yesterday
            > > finalizing the selections for the show,) that these are indeed
            the
            > > rough sketches. This will probably zoom out of my budget, as the
            > last
            > > piece went for almost $1400, but I will have a crack at it
            anyway.
            > > Here's the link:
            > >
            > > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140238010754

          • Mark R.
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
              I considered this at first but the notes on the cover would rule out a convention sketch. Plus this second packet contains more original art and paste ups (or whatever you call the multiple use logos and such).
              See my earlier post for an image that I enlarged and darkened up and you can see the note, etc. better.

              Mark3

              My Comics Shop
              Largest online inventory without the
              mile.. err... sky high prices.
              http://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=237671P01

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
                I agree with Mark R. on this one. Since neither of the listed
                sketches so far have been neither prelim or cover art, they were
                probably sold off years ago as rough sketches for a low price, not
                considered (at the time) to be worth much. They are obviously the very
                rough idea sketches to what would become the final art. How many steps
                were in between these to the final covers, who can say. Also, I would
                be more suspect if they were just by themselves, but it seems pretty
                apparent that this seller got his hands on a very cool little package
                indeed as there is other original art listed with these pieces.Also,
                like I have said before, I have quite a bit of this stuff and it looks
                just like these sketches. I think they are cool, because like many of
                my rough sketches and prelims, they are like having an alternate
                cover. Plus, I always like seeing the creative 'idea' process involved
                in this stuff! This cover would just not have been the same if they
                went with the drink pitcher in lieu of the gumball machine. Again,
                this is only my opinion.

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
                  --- In ri

                  ...Given how many comic book arrtists of old tened to think " Ah ,
                  it's just commercial hackwork " , or , anyway , " a gig " , or
                  similar , it seemes unusually preniscent ( rite spulling ????? )
                  for - Harvey????? - to have saved a 1956-or-earlier rough sketch ,
                  for a comic book character who , although sucessful , did not
                  become " real world "-known ( e. g. - on TV ) 'til nearly 25 years
                  later !!!!!!!!!
                  You will forgive my expression of skepticism/" Devil's Advocate "-
                  ing ( Hey , the Vatican doesn't use one anymore !!!!! ) .

                  chierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "richie41269" <richie41269@...>

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
                    >>>Also,<<<
                    >>>like I have said before, I
                    have quite a bit of this stuff and it looks<<<
                    >>>just like
                    these sketches.<<<

                    You wouldn't want to adopt a 44 year old Beach Bum, would you?

                    Mark3

                  • Roland Schama
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
                      Hey, at least you're on the beach! I am 44 and in Cleveland!

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
                        Hey, feel free to come hang out any time!-If anyone can make it out to
                        the S.F. show, like Mark A. said, we can accommodate on lodging. You
                        can crash at my place for a month tops! My only request is you bring
                        your comic collection, and be prepared to work on THFT#71!! :O)~

                        > You wouldn't want to adopt a 44 year old Beach Bum, would you?
                        >
                        > Mark3

                      • richie41269
                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 2, 2008
                          Ha!-This is why I love the Vault-The colorful characters!!
                          --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, Roland Schama <rnschama@...>
                          wrote:

                          > Hey, at least you're on the beach! I am 44 and in Cleveland!

                          > > looks<<<
                          > >
                          > > You wouldn't want to adopt a 44 year old Beach Bum, would you?
                          > >
                          > > Mark3

                        • Mark R.
                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                            Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say Cleveland rocks!

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                              That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland rocks!

                              --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@...> wrote:

                              > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                              Cleveland rocks!

                            • Mark R.
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                Livin' in sin with a safety pin 'cause Cleveland Rocks!

                                It's one of the opening themes from The Drew Carey Show by The Presidents of the United States!

                                Mark3

                                That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland rocks!

                                --- In richierichsvault@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@.. .> wrote:

                                > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                                Cleveland rocks!

                              • Rat
                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                  It's the theme song from the Drew Carey Show.

                                  --Robyn

                                • thft@att.net
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                    Thank Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople for that one.

                                    --
                                    Regards,

                                    Mark Arnold
                                    http://funideas.home.att.net

                                    From: "richie41269" <richie41269@...>

                                    > That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland rocks!
                                    >
                                    > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                                    > Cleveland rocks!

                                  • Mark R.
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                      Ah! Thanks Mark.
                                      The vault really is a plethora of combined knowledge.

                                      Mark3

                                      From: "richie41269" <richie41269@ yahoo.com>

                                      > That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland rocks!
                                      >
                                      > --- In richierichsvault@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@.. .> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                                      > Cleveland rocks!

                                    • jgbook2007
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                        --- In ri

                                        ...A post-Mott solo , I believe .
                                        I believe he first recorded it as an " England Rocks " song , ( note
                                        the " safety pin " ref. , topicially referring to the 1977 original punk
                                        explosion/craze , and the then-so-shocking safety pins ) then re-
                                        recorded it for a USA-released LP release.........

                                        chierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, thft@... wrote:

                                        > Thank Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople for that one.
                                        >
                                        > --
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Mark Arnold
                                        > http://funideas.home.att.net

                                        > From: "richie41269" <richie41269@...>
                                        > >
                                        > > That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland
                                        rocks!

                                        > > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@>
                                        wrote:

                                        > > > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                                        > > Cleveland rocks!

                                      • jgbook2007
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                          --- In ri

                                          ...A post-Mott solo , I believe .
                                          I believe he first recorded it as an " England Rocks " song , ( note
                                          the " safety pin " ref. , topicially referring to the 1977 original punk
                                          explosion/craze , and the then-so-shocking safety pins ) then re-
                                          recorded it for a USA-released LP release.........

                                          chierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, thft@... wrote:

                                          > Thank Ian Hunter and Mott the Hoople for that one.
                                          >
                                          > --
                                          > Regards,
                                          >
                                          > Mark Arnold
                                          > http://funideas.home.att.net

                                          > From: "richie41269" <richie41269@...>
                                          > >
                                          > > That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland
                                          rocks!

                                          > > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@>
                                          wrote:

                                          > > > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                                          > > Cleveland rocks!

                                        • jgbook2007
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                            --- In ri

                                            ...There's S. F.'s Ocean Beach...has its charms , definitely , but a lil'
                                            chilll...Not in the sense that " th' keyy-aads " use it...

                                            wrote:

                                            > Hey, at least you're on the beach! I am 44 and in Cleveland!

                                            > > looks<<<
                                            > >
                                            > > You wouldn't want to adopt a 44 year old Beach Bum, would you?
                                            > >
                                            > > Mark3

                                          • jgbook2007
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                              --- In ri

                                              ...Me too !!!!!!!!!

                                              wrote:

                                              > Hey, feel free to come hang out any time!-If anyone can make it out to
                                              > the S.F. show, like Mark A. said, we can accommodate on lodging.
                                              You
                                              > can crash at my place for a month tops! My only request is you bring
                                              > your comic collection, and be prepared to work on THFT#71!! :O)~
                                              >
                                              > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@>

                                              > looks<<<
                                              > >
                                              > > You wouldn't want to adopt a 44 year old Beach Bum, would you?
                                              > >
                                              > > Mark3

                                            • Roland Schama
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                Yeah, but where are they? Not in my neighborhood!

                                                What's that Honey? Ouch! Sorry.

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                  A good song by Ian Hunter!

                                                  On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:46 AM, richie41269 wrote:

                                                  That's gotta be from a song. Which one? I have heard Cleveland rocks!

                                                  --- In richierichsvault@ yahoogroups. com, "Mark R." <jstockbu@.. .> wrote:

                                                  > Yeah, but all the little chicks with their crimson lips say
                                                  Cleveland rocks!

                                                • Roland Schama
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                    C'mon Guys!
                                                    Ian Hunter.
                                                    Most of you are close to my age. You should remember the battle for location of the Rock 'n 'Roll hall of fame.
                                                    Ian Hunter's Cleveland Rocks was played all the time (well maybe in Cleveland).

                                                    On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Rat wrote:

                                                    It's the theme song from the Drew Carey Show.

                                                    --Robyn

                                                  • richie41269
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 3, 2008
                                                      Oh Man! That's funny Roland!!