Re: [Richie Rich's Vault] Harvey File Copies

  • coolnesspark
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
      The Richie Rich # 1 & 2 CGC 9.6 and the original art pages from
      Richie Rich # 1 were sold by Heritage but those were placed with
      Heritage to sell by a private party. Neither were part of the
      inventory they received from Diamond Galleries.

      I was never fortunate enough (plus I wouldn't have had the funds
      anyway) in the early 80's to purchase any of those files that leaked
      out but I do remember reading about the fact many of the key # 1's
      had been robbed from the Harvey warehouse.

      I also suspect with the original artwork Heritage purchased they
      were fully aware of what that consisted of. The files copies from
      Diamond however are another story. I've spoken with two reputable
      dealers in Maryland who toured the warehouse where the Harvey files
      were housed, and they acknowledged seeing literally several trailers
      full of Harveys that Diamond hadn't gone through yet and
      catalogued. This was in the mid 90's so it could very well have
      been looked at by now but I'm thinking we've not yet seen everything
      that is out there. I'm doubtful that there are any early key # 1's
      because I think most of them had been stolen by that point.

      If that material is out there, it could also be Harvey files that
      Diamond later purchased from Comics and Stories in New Jersey in the
      early 90's. When Harvey sold the files not all of them were sold to
      Diamond. Comics and Stories bought a boatload of them as well
      because I purchased quite a few from them one year when they had a
      blowout sale.

      Phil, maybe you know about this since original Richie Rich art is
      your interest; have you seen any of the orignal artwork for the
      unused RR covers from late 1982 that were undoubtedly completed but
      not used because of the company folding at that time? There have to
      be at least two issues of each of the RR titles being published at
      that time that the covers were never used,given how far ahead they
      prepared the comics. I do know there were unpublished stories as I
      own some of those but I've never seen the unused covers to date and
      I suspect they are out there somewhere. I'm also pretty sure they
      weren't used later when Harvey returned in '86 because Selig did
      most of those covers. The only cover from '82 I'm sure they did use
      in '86 was the cover to RR Digest Magazine # 1. That would have
      been the cover to RR Treasure Chest Digest # 4 back in '82 had it
      been published. Any insights you have here would be appreciated.

      --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, Phillip Carpenter
      <brca12000@...> wrote:

      > Well, the truth is that Harvey files have been sold off SLOWLY
      since the mid 1980s, making it a 20 year bleeding process. That
      doesnt even mention the "stolen wherehouse" comics that came around
      in 1980 on the convention circuit etc. Anybody remember a man named
      Chuck Wheeler from Ohio who used to sell file copies of early Dots
      and Richies in the Buyer's Guide? So, with that in mind, the supply
      has been building up. It is all about the demand at this point. As
      somebody who has been following HArvey very closely since 1975, I
      can tell you some particulars about the file copies and how Geppi
      came to own them and the art as well. Geppi sold off the artwork to
      Alexander Estevido of Alexander Gallery. Alex, as some may know, has
      been a big fan and advocate of thigns like Frank Frazetta
      and "Hudson Valley Paintings" etc. So comics are kind of a side gig
      and Harvey is no exception. He sold the HArvey art that he got from
      Geppi around 2003 and Heritage has been selling them off
      > ever since. As for what Heritage has etc: apparently Richie
      covers are scarce, especially before 1973 ish. And for the original
      Richie Rich artwork: Heritage has sold off alot of this stuff under
      the table to some of their better customers and they apparently dont
      have alot of early original Richie Rich from Little Dot and a big
      part of the reason is that I already have it! They probably have
      some more stuff, but all of the claims about how they havent gone
      through everything is a bit ridiculous. Do you think they would make
      a deal with Alexander Gallery and not know what exactly they were
      getting? OK, I will sell you a bunch of boxes of things in brown
      envelopes that contain some Harvey stuff that I dont have a list for
      or an idea of what it is worth? Totally ridiculous. And if they
      didnt have a list, then Heritge does now! It has been a while.
      Notice that they found the original to Richie Rich #1. THey swore up
      and down that it was "missing" (In the hands of
      > someboyd in the Harvey family) and hten it popped up a year
      later. It is to Hertage's advantage to keep things a mystery, to
      keep you guessing. And the longer they hold it, the more likely they
      will make money on the back end too. You dont want to sell all of
      your stuff for $500 only to find that you have nothing left to sell
      when (and if) it climbs to $5,000. And with comic book artwork
      being such an amazing phenomena, they are holdong out on some things
      for sure. Did you know that somebody like Paul Allen paid $250,000
      for the cover to Zap #1? With stuff like this happening, there are
      more buyers than ever now. And with the shitty dollar, Europeans
      and Australians etc think that this stuff is really cheap. So what
      does Heritge really have left? They have already gotten rid of their
      best stuff: Litlte Dot 2, Little Dot 6 cover, Richie Rich 1, CAsper
      #20 first Wendy, CAsper #1, Casper #10 with Spooky first appearance,
      plus alot of othe rnice things like Audrey #1 cover.
      > I guess we are waiting for the Harvey Hits 3, 9 and early Richie
      Rich covers?
      > Phil
      >
      > thft@... wrote:
      > Just FYI. I know Heritage (and Geppi for that matter)
      love to dole out all of their Harvey stuff verrrrryyyy
      sloooooowwwwwlllly. They don't want to miss out if any of this stuff
      really skyrockets, which it always could, and if they dump it all at
      once on the market, the prices could plumet. Nothing necessarily
      wrong with the way they're doing it, but in talking with Heritage
      before, they have always told me that there is a lot of stuff that
      they just haven't gotten to yet due to the overwhelming amount of it
      all. Sort of like my personal collection ;-D

      > This doesn't mean that there's a hidden cache of 1000 mint "Little
      Dot" #1's just waiting to be released, but you never know.

      > I do know this, in 2006, Heritage told me that they have literally
      dozens of Richie Rich originals housed away that haven't even been
      cataloged yet as there's just so much to go through. I'm sure it
      hasn't changed much in the intervening year or so.

      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Mark Arnold
      > http://funideas.home.att.net

      > From: Phillip Carpenter <brca12000@...>
      > >
      > > Has anybody noticed the huge selection of CGC graded Harvey file
      copies in the
      > > Nov 15-16 Heritage Auction? This, in conjunction, with the
      previous auctions
      > > that have been heavy in CGC Harvey books, shows how many high
      grade Harvey files
      > > are out there. Nobody knows the answer, but it is alot,
      especially for things
      > > early 1960s and up. (the file copies of early and key books like
      Dot 1 and HH3
      > > and Richie 1 were stolen from Harvey around 1979 and passed
      around in
      > > collector's circles long before the files were made available
      originally through
      > > Geppis Comic World and later in the form of Diamond) I know for
      a fact that
      > > there are over 200 copies of some issues. Apparently, Geppi is
      selling alot of
      > > stuff through Heritage and the rumors about the large cost
      overruns with his
      > > museum in Baltimore have created the unusual condition for him
      to sell alot of
      > > things. That is why there are some very high end Carl barks
      paintings in the
      > > auction too. Why he isnt going through his own Diamond
      > > Galleries to do it is beyond me. Although with this being said,
      it is still
      > > true that early Little Dots and other issues from this era are
      very hard to
      > > find, especially in high grade. Little Dot #1 is still one of
      the very toughest
      > > books, although there are two on ebay today and there was one
      last week. All low
      > > grade books.
      > >
      > > Mark Arnold <thft@...> wrote: I don't know if there is a
      particular
      > > "name" for the font, but I will
      > > say that this logo was first used on the cover on "Richie Rich"
      #1,
      > > but it may have been used on stories earlier, but I doubt it. The
      > > "Little Dot" stories had a more "frilly" type logo (check
      the "Richie
      > > Rich" book on individual stories reprinted from the early "Little
      > > Dots" to see what I mean.)
      > >
      > > In any case, I can say that any logos at Harvey from 1940-1970
      were
      > > designed by Otto Pirkola. Those from 1971-1989 were designed by
      Ken
      > > Selig. Both were Art Directors at Harvey. From your comments, it
      seems
      > > you prefer Pirkola's work, which is fine. Though Selig is an
      excellent
      > > draftsman, he was never the equal of Pirkola in logo design.
      > >
      > > -Moderator Mark.
      > >
      > > --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, harveyrichie60
      <no_reply@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Just one more thing...(said in best Columbo voice) Does anyone
      know or
      > > > recall when Richie's font got switched to the classic one
      Richie Rich
      > > > #1 cover to be sure (although #2 looked closer) and what font
      that is?
      > > > It would make a great one to have. I know the first issues
      were
      > > > reprints (even page 1) When did the font change? Also I
      remember one
      > > > issue 79 perhaps when they changed the logo/font for one issue
      and then
      > > > changed it back. I never liked the way the titles took over in
      the
      > > > later 70s, but I guess it was to make it easier to see among
      the other
      > > > guys there. Okay I'll stop posting for awhile, think I got it
      out of
      > > > my system.
      > > >
      > > > Just my quarters worth,
      > > >
      > > > Robin

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
        Anybody know what happened with the lawsuit filed against Geppi for
        selling stolen Sad Sack art?

        http://www.tcj.com/3_online/n_sadsack.html
      • Phillip Carpenter
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
          I dont know for certain about the specific unused covers from 1982, but I am sure they are around, i think you should ask quenten clem about this as he collects the unused stuff as far as i can remember.
          I used to talk to Rusty Smith all the time about the early Harvey files. I bought my first ones from Diamond/Geppi in 1986 and I still have some of the receipts. File copy RR Millions #1 for $60? What a deal, but I couldnt afford much at the time, so I sold off an AF15 in VGF and bought a big load of Richie Rich files!
          I also bought from Comics and Stories (Mannarino), but I also got some file copies from Sparkle City Comics. They had the early Dots and Richies. I bought a CCG 9.4 Richie #1 for a whopping $440, the price in guide at the time.
          So, I also heard that the Richie Rich #1 did not come from the Geppi wherehouse, but rather from the harvey family. I guess this is also true for the Richie Rich #4 cover? I say this because I heard the same for this cover and it was also offered for sale before Heritage bought the Harvey art from ALexander Gallery. Remember, that it was offered for sale but didnt hit reserve and then it sold a year later.
          Phil

          #20 first Wendy, CAsper #1, Casper #10 with Spooky first appearance,

          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 1, 2007
            Short answer. Alan Harvey lost due to the Statute of Limitations. He filed his claim far too late to do anything about it.

            --
            Regards,

            Mark Arnold
            http://funideas.home.att.net

            From: "Mark" <jstockbu@...>

            > Anybody know what happened with the lawsuit filed against Geppi for
            > selling stolen Sad Sack art?
            >
            > http://www.tcj.com/3_online/n_sadsack.html

          • harveyrichie60
            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 5, 2007
              --- I bought several of those in the mid 90's from Diamond (as i
              live in Maryland I got my order right away) Many from my first order
              (which came with that great color catalog) were in heavy protective
              covers and the condition was astounding. Many orders later the covers
              were in regular mylar. I still remember the prices on there and
              wished I'd won a lottery as I would go right to Timonium with a truck
              and load up.
              Gotta go see if I can find that catalog again now.

              Robin

              In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, coolnesspark <no_reply@...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > #1,
              > > > but it may have been used on stories earlier, but I doubt it.
              The
              > > > "Little Dot" stories had a more "frilly" type logo (check
              > the "Richie
              > > > Rich" book on individual stories reprinted from the
              early "Little
              > > > Dots" to see what I mean.)
              > > >
              > > > In any case, I can say that any logos at Harvey from 1940-1970
              > were
              > > > designed by Otto Pirkola. Those from 1971-1989 were designed by
              > Ken
              > > > Selig. Both were Art Directors at Harvey. From your comments,
              it
              > seems
              > > > you prefer Pirkola's work, which is fine. Though Selig is an
              > excellent
              > > > draftsman, he was never the equal of Pirkola in logo design.

            • Phillip Carpenter
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 6, 2007
                ROBIN,
                you are talking about the 1994 catalog and our own Mark Arnold wrote some blurbs for it too! I bought hundreds and hundreds of file copies from Diamond and Geppi from 1986-1997. Sparle City too. There are alot of these around, but I will still say that the early Little Dots are pretty hard to find, especially in grade. I am very happy that I sold them off and bought hundred of pages of early Richie Rich artwork from heritage and Alexander Gallery. I can always go back and get the file copies, but I cannot go and get the artwork again.

                As for covers, I am a big fan of those coverrs that appealed to me as a kid. For example, I remember seeing a beat up Richie #1 at a comic convention in 1875 for a buck and so the cover really resonates with me. But my favorite of all: Richie Rich Fortunes #23, word balloon and all. It is the first comics I remember seeing and it is what hooked me onto Harvey and Richie Rich in the first place. I have a 1950s comic rack with alot of these early books that I bought placed in the holders. It is like the 1970s all over again.

                I took about 40 classic covers and comissioned Sid Couchey to do a collage painting of them. Thanks to Mark, he got me connected to Sid and Sid agreed to do it. It should be ready next summer. The only things worth really collecting to me are those things that remind me of those times chasing Richie Rich and Harvye comics and this painting will be a trip down memory lane.
                See everybody at Wondercon in Feb 08,
                Phil