Re: [Richie Rich's Vault] Van Doughs In Sad Sack Comics #7

  • Mark Arnold
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      Thanks for posting this! I own this issue too but didn't have time to
      dig it out. Now that I see it, I can tell you that this is a reprint
      of the "Sad Sack" Sunday comics feature that ran in newspapers during
      the 40s and 50s, written and drawn by George Baker. Although Baker was
      a close friend of the Harveys (and was Godfather to some of his sons),
      I'm sure he didn't have Richie Rich or Reggie in mind when saying "Van
      Dough" in this strip, as this strip was first printed well before 1953.

      More likely, Alfred Harvey probably remembered the name and when
      Richie Rich's universe started to be expanded in the mid-50s, they
      used the same name for Reggie's surname.

      Unfortunately, there's no way to officially confirm this except
      through Sid Jacobson or Alan Harvey, but they would probably be
      speculating as well.

      -Mark.

      --- In richierichsvault@yahoogroups.com, coleporter <coleporter@...>
      wrote:

      > I happened to have scans of Sad Sack 7 on my computer and so I
      posted the
      > page in question in the group's photo section. Kevin
      >
      > On 1/28/07, Mike Bryant <yogibearlives@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > In Antwort Auf:
      > >
      > > harveyrichie60 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com <no_reply%40yahoogroups.com>>
      > > wrote: Mark,
      > >
      > > I recently aquired Sad Sack #7 (Sept 1950) And in one panel Sad
      Sack is
      > > invited to a party at Mr And Mrs. Van Dough (Strictly Formal). Is this
      > > the first mention of Reggies family in a Harvey Comic by George Baker?
      > > Did George invent the Van Doughs? Or more likely is this just a
      > > coincidence. (sp?) Just weird to see this early in a book that name.
      > >
      > > Mrs Van Dough looks a little like Mrs. Rich except she has white hair
      > > and Mr. Van Dough looks like one of Sacks Army buddies. Any thoughts?
      > >
      > > Sincerely, Robin
      > >
      > > P.S. You snuck out the latest THFTs on me. A pleasant surprise when
      > > opening the mailbox.
      > >
      > > Crikey, mate! Ya GOTTA scan some shots of said mag when ya getta
      chance,
      > > eh?
      > >
      > > Mike Bryant
      > >
      > > YogiBearLives@... <YogiBearLives%40yahoo.com>
      > >

      > > "And just what the hell does all this laughter have to do with the
      making
      > > of Animated Cartoons?" - EDWARD "EDDIE" SELZER (1893-1970); Producer
      > > [Serving 1944-1957] for WARNER BROTHERS Animation Division, upon
      confronting
      > > Senior Director CHUCK JONES & his artistes & writers guffawing at a
      > > storyboard..

    • Mike Bryant
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
        In Antwort Auf:

        Mark Arnold <thft@...> wrote: Thanks for posting this! I own this issue too but didn't have time to
        dig it out. Now that I see it, I can tell you that this is a reprint
        of the "Sad Sack" Sunday comics feature that ran in newspapers during
        the 40s and 50s, written and drawn by George Baker. Although Baker was
        a close friend of the Harveys (and was Godfather to some of his sons),
        I'm sure he didn't have Richie Rich or Reggie in mind when saying "Van
        Dough" in this strip, as this strip was first printed well before 1953.

        More likely, Alfred Harvey probably remembered the name and when
        Richie Rich's universe started to be expanded in the mid-50s, they
        used the same name for Reggie's surname.

        Unfortunately, there's no way to officially confirm this except
        through Sid Jacobson or Alan Harvey, but they would probably be
        speculating as well.

        -Mark.

        Elementary, My Dear Sherlock...WATSON opines that YOUIR deductive skills & prowess have indeed ascertained the CORRECT theory!

        Mike Bryant

        YogiBearLives@...