Re: [rich-scot-nc] Wright and Pate

  • Ted and Freda Noble
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
      Dear Kate, some time ago, you wrote to me about your Christian Pate
      Wright. I am just now getting to my Pate record. Do you know which
      Thoroughgood Pate was the father of Christian Pate Wright? I have
      several but not the names of their children. Whom did she marry?

      I also research the Wright family that is closely connected with the Pates.

      Will be happy to send you what Pate data I have. Freda

      >Freda,
      > Christian Pate Wright (daughter of Thoroughgood Pate) was my great
      >grandmother! She was the mother of Carrie Wright born 1876 (Caroline Virginia
      >Pate) who married John Wesley Walters in Scotland County. She was buried in
      >the old Hillside cemetery. I have other info on her, but I'll have to pull
      >it out. I will forward it to you soon. I have been trying to find something
      >on my Grandfather John Walter's family for years. I knew one day I would turn
      >on my computer and find that someone had some info on the Pate's and
      >Wright's.
      >Thanks!!!
      >Kate Walters-Pinotti

      >The Richmond-Scotland County Historical-Genealogical Societies are
      >actively seeking new members. Please consider joining any of these
      >societies, your small subscription fee will help the cause of
      >Historical Preservation and Genealogical Research.

      Researching my Southern Families: Roberson/Robertson/Robinson,Bonner,
      Blakely,Wright, Sills, Thornton, Canterbury, Godbold, Solomon, Pate,
      Grice, Herron, Regan, Sims, Boles, Jones.
    • KJPinotti@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
        Freda,
        I have been working just about nonstop on researching this family. I have
        actually paid big bucks by joining several online search sources so I could
        compare data. I have traced "my" family line back to the pates in 1500
        England, and beyond. However, I shared this info with a few other "Pate"
        researchers, and some did not agree with me.
        I could find absolutely NOTHING concrete to tie my Thoroughgood in
        with the Thomas Pate that I have, other than the fact that Thoroughgood's
        father was named Thomas Pate and his wife called M. (Hester) or Ester in my
        grandmother's family bible, and it made mention of cousins and uncles named
        John, Thomas, and Samuel". My grandmother told me her Grandfather carried an
        old family name from England and he was named after his daddy, bit they
        called him...as spelled in her bible...Thurgood. I have also seen old letters
        that was hardly legible that talked about a Col. Thoroughgood, and my
        grandmother Carrie told me stories she knew as a child about her grandfather
        fighting Indians with a shovel, him being taken prisoner during the war,
        hiding the "good china" down the well when Sherman came through Laurel Hill,
        and being a first cousin to James and Z.V. Pate. I also know that my
        great-great grandmother (Christina McNeil) that married Thoroughgood Pate was
        from Scotland/England. They are on the 1850 census. He was killed in the
        Civil War. He is not shown on the 1870 census, and her name is listed as
        "Christian" instead of Christina. She had a twin sister and their family
        still lives in Scotland. I was also told they owned property on the Pee Dee
        River a long time ago. According to the dates of my Thoroughgood Pate and his
        father and so on, I am convinced I have the proper lineage correct. The info
        you sent me helped tremendously!
        I read all those documents I referred to earlier after my grandmother
        died when my father was going through her belongings, and I have tried to
        locate them over the past few years, but no one seems to know what happened
        to Grandma Carrie's bible. I grew up hearing stores of how heroic my "Pate"
        granddaddy was, and how ruthless some of the people in his family were where
        their land was concerned. I also heard that some of her family of affluent
        "Pates" did not like my grandfather Archibald Wright, but my grandmother
        Carrie snubbed her nose at the "family," and married him anyway. Archibald
        Wright is also a distant cousin and descendent of Sabre Pate. His family did
        not believe in slavery and most of his family fought for the Yankees during
        the Civil War. I imagine that might have been some of the reason for
        animosity, but it is just conjecture.
        Freda, I am sorry about the long letter. But I have worked so hard,
        spent oodles of money, and spent hours researching documents to come up with
        all this info. I did it strictly for pleasure, and cannot remember now where
        I got some of the information. Unfortunately, I did not keep good records.
        However, I am in the process of retracing my steps, but it will take a while.
        Most of it came from searching historical documents one by one (very tedious
        and slow process), via paid access through Ancestry and genealogy.com. I was
        so tickled when I found a connection. Now, it irritates me that others
        question my work, or downright tell me I am wrong. I believe with all my
        heart that I am correct, (based on relentless research),and I will not
        concede until PROVEN otherwise. I also believe that the name Thoroughgood
        originated from one of the Pates marrying a woman wither kin to or was
        herself a Thurgood in England. The Thurgood family very affluent and ran in
        the same circles as the Pates and Skipwith's. I found many documents where
        both a Pate and a Thurgood witnessed procedures, which caused me to come to
        this conclusion. I also believe the name Thoroughgood was not a stand-alone
        name, as there are many Thomas Thoroughgood's, John Thoroughgood's, Charles
        Thoroughgood's, etc. The first name was often forgotten and dropped, and only
        referred to sometimes in family bibles. Now that part is purely conjecture.
        ha! However, sometimes that's all we have to go on, isn't it? Anyway, again,
        I apologize for the length of this letter. I would LOVE for you to look over
        everything and let me know what you think, or disagree with. You are the ONLY
        person who's opinion I trust, as I feel you are also interested in just
        finding out as much as you can, and maybe together we can put together the
        pieces. I am not opposed to making corrections. I merely want to be correct.
        I would truly appreciate any insight you have to offer. I will send you
        everything I have if you will give me an address to mail it to. I do not know
        how to attach it to an email, and besides, it is a very large file. In
        answer to your only question though, My "Thomas" Thoroughgood Pate was born
        about 1820. His father was Thomas Thoroughgood, son of Samuel Pate (Brother
        to Col. Thoroughgood) and wife, Martha Sweeney. Samuel's father was Thomas
        Thoroughgood and Winnifred Stewart, whose father was Thomas Thoroughgood
        (wife unknown), whose father was T-good and Sarah Chevin, whose father was
        Capt. Thomas Pate and Isabell Todd. This is the first bonifde reference to
        the name Thoroughgood in 1618, that I have found. Isabell Todd's mother was
        and unknown Thurgood. It makes perfect sense to me that the name Thoroughgood
        was spelled differently in the 1700's, and it came from Isabell's mother's
        maiden name. I am still researching this aspect. If you can shed any light on
        this, I would appreciate it. Oh yes. Capt. Thomas Pate's father was Thomas
        (1594) and Margaret Jones. His brothers were John, William, & Edward. Please
        let me know what you think. I am not nuts, just passionate! Ha! Thanks for
        listening. Any help would be so appreciated.
        Kate (Pate, Walters) Pinotti

      • Ted and Freda Noble
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 15 11:21 PM
          In my search to identify the parents of my gggrandmother Elizabeth
          Thornton, Sills, born 1795, who was married in Sampson County, N.
          Carolina, in 1818, I found the will of Francis Hill, dated ca 1800.
          Francis Hill mentions his daughter Martha Hill who married John
          Thornton.

          Elizabeth Thornton Sills's son Lee Sills married Sarah Ann Lee.
          Elizabeth named a daughter Martha.
          Elizabeth's daughter Sally Sills married a John Thornton.
          The Sills were close to the Lee, Westbrook and Hill families.
          Francis Hill had a son Bennett Hill. Elizabeth Thornton Sills'
          grandson was named Alfred BENNETT Roberson.

          Could my Elizabeth Thornton Sills be the daughter of Martha Hill and
          John Thornton? I would be grateful for any info on these people.

          Freda Roberson Noble
          Gualala Ca