Bostick at Ellerbe?

  • WDBostick@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 22, 2003
      Hello,

      I hope to visit Richmond County next week, searching for traces of the
      BOSTICK-COVINGTON kin.

      The old Bostick family "manor" was said to be along old Clayton Carriker Road
      in Ellerbe - does anyone know where along the road I should look?

      Also, the Bostick schoolhouse project - can anyone give me directions (will
      likely be coming from 220)?

      Also, is there a description of the boundaries of the old "Wolf Pit" census
      district (once rife with Bosticks and Covingtons, especially the latter!).

      Thanks,

      Bill Bostick
      Oak Ridge, TN
      wdbostick@...

    • Bill Vincent
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22, 2003
        Bill Bostick,
        Suggest you get the book, "Our Native Heath", a collection of Richmond Co. record transcripts by Myrtle N. Bridges, as it mentions about 164 Covingtons and about 44 Bostics or Bosticks. The Wolf Pit muster ground during the Revolution and later the central election place for the district was on the East side of US 1 about 2 miles South of Rockingham.
        My ancestor, John McAlister and his first cousin, Angus Gilchrist were the county surveyors for old Richmond and old Robeson Counties, respectively, and I suspect they learned the trade from Gen. Benjamin Covington who had been a previous surveyor for Richmond Co. My John Macalister and Benjamin Covington were both veterans of the Revolution and John bought the old Gen. Henry William Harrington home in 1802 which was between the Covington and Rev. Ledbetter homes on the north side of the old road to Haley's Ferry over the Pee Dee River, with Hitchcock Creek in the rear. Nothing of this segment of the old road (which lay west of US1 and near the Wolf Pit) and these homes survive today, but I read somewhere that parts of the interior of the Covington home were now in a museum somewhere up north, possibly Philadelphia.
        My John later acquired the tract of land called the Wolf Pit, which reportedly got it's name for a Scot who built a pit to catch wolves that were a serious threat to livestock prior to the Revolution, but he only succeeded in trapping his mule.
        When in Ellerbe, suggest you visit Dr. Rankin's museum and the Ellerbe Springs Inn. Someone there may be able to direct you to the Bosticks' home places.
        Bill in Baltimore

        I hope to visit Richmond County next week, searching for traces of the
        BOSTICK-COVINGTON kin.

        The old Bostick family "manor" was said to be along old Clayton Carriker Road
        in Ellerbe - does anyone know where along the road I should look?

        Also, the Bostick schoolhouse project - can anyone give me directions (will
        likely be coming from 220)?

        Also, is there a description of the boundaries of the old "Wolf Pit" census
        district (once rife with Bosticks and Covingtons, especially the latter!).

        Thanks,

        Bill Bostick
        Oak Ridge, TN
        wdbostick@...

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        The Richmond-Scotland County Historical-Genealogical Societies are actively seeking new members. Please consider joining any of these societies, your small subscription fee will help the cause of Historical Preservation and Genealogical Research.

      • WDBostick@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
          Thanks to all who responded to my request for info re: Bostick at Ellerbe.
          Fortunately, I was able to hook up with the Sherrills, who were most gracious
          hosts. I got a personal tour of the Bostick one room scoolhouse, and they
          also took me to the Old Saron Church cemetery, where ancestors William
          Bostick I and Naomi Sproles, and William Bostick II and Naomi Townsend, were
          buried. Again, the Sherrills and many others have done an excellent service
          to the community in cleaning up and restoring the markers, etc. Woodford and
          Lillian also took me to visit Ms Earline McRae Blake of Ellerbe, who had a
          great deal of information on the Bostick family.

          I did have an opporunity to tour the excellent Rankin museum; they have LARGE
          copies of the 1886 Richmond County map for sale ($20), showing the census
          districts, and the locations for many of the larger land owners (still some
          Bosticks and many Covingtons at that time, although my direct ancestors, Mary
          Covington Bostick and her son William, had left for Tennessee in the early
          1870's).

          So I had a brief but very nice visit, thanks to the Sherrills. Again, thanks
          for all the suggestions.

          Bill Bostick
          125 Indian
          Oak Ridge, TN 37830

        • WDBostick@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2 3:00 PM
            (Not sure that this went through the first time)