Re: [rich-scot-nc] Wright and Pate

  • Joyce
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 16, 2002
      Freda,

      Stopped by the courthouse today without you notes and tried to remember who
      to look for.

      I did not see GW Wright 12 Feb 1918, nor James P. Wright 5 Dec 1917. I can
      check again if I get time this week.

      I did find:

      William T. Wright b. 16 March 1862, died 19 June 1934 Parents: George Wright
      and Maranda Williamson, wife Emma J. Buried Wright Cemetery.

      George Watt Wright b. 30 April 1858 (64yrs. 11 mo. 14 das) d. 14 April 1923,
      parents: George Wright & Marinda Williamson, buried Wright Cemetery.

      Joyce
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 16, 2002
        Dear Joyce,
        can't believe I am actually writing to someone who goes to the
        courthouse. How I wish we lived close to real sources! Thank you.
        The names that you found are my Wrights and Williamsons, so I have
        new data to add to my genealogy.

        Will tell you our real mystery. You may see something that will
        help us when you are working in the courthouse.

        Issac Williamson, born in 1755, died in Richmond County, N.C.,
        married Sarah Woodle, had ten children, and maybe eleven. In his
        will, he remembered "his daughter Chloe.

        ("After deducting the commissions and vouchers from the above amount
        and two hundred and fifty dollars paid to Thomas Williamson by order
        of the
        will we find a balance of two thousand and thirty-six 14/100 dollars to
        be divided amongst the heirs (viz.) Chloe, Rebecca, Mary, Wilson, John,
        Nancy, Sarah, Thomas, Elizabeth and Isaac, children..
        Now, Chloe is the mystery, I think Chloe was Isaac's
        daughter-in-law, that she married Issac's unknown child who died in
        1834.

        >Chloe is buried in Old Hundred, near the Scotland County line.
        >Tombstone is inscribed: Sacred to the Memory of Chloe Williamson, b.
        >June, 1795; d. Aug. 22, 1866. Age 71 yrs 2 mos 15 days. Peace to
        >her ashes.

        Chloe had a son, John Washington L. Williamson who married into my
        Solomon family, Amanda Mariah Solomon. In a Monroe County, Alabama,
        newspaper, John Washington L. Williamson is listed with his
        half-brother, John Wright. Since Chloe is also called Chloe Wright, I
        think Chloe was married to a Wright before she married Isaac
        Williamson's unknown son.

        I do appreciate your looking up my names for me. Thank you so much. Freda

        >Freda,
        >
        >Stopped by the courthouse today without you notes and tried to remember who
        >to look for.
        >
        >I did not see GW Wright 12 Feb 1918, nor James P. Wright 5 Dec 1917. I can
        >check again if I get time this week.
        >
        >I did find:
        >
        >William T. Wright b. 16 March 1862, died 19 June 1934 Parents: George Wright
        >and Maranda Williamson, wife Emma J. Buried Wright Cemetery.
        >
        >George Watt Wright b. 30 April 1858 (64yrs. 11 mo. 14 das) d. 14 April 1923,
        >parents: George Wright & Marinda Williamson, buried Wright Cemetery.
        >
        >Joyce

      • Ted and Freda Noble
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
          Dear Kate, some time ago, you wrote to me about your Christian Pate
          Wright. I am just now getting to my Pate record. Do you know which
          Thoroughgood Pate was the father of Christian Pate Wright? I have
          several but not the names of their children. Whom did she marry?

          I also research the Wright family that is closely connected with the Pates.

          Will be happy to send you what Pate data I have. Freda

        • KJPinotti@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 1, 2003
            Freda,
            I have been working just about nonstop on researching this family. I have
            actually paid big bucks by joining several online search sources so I could
            compare data. I have traced "my" family line back to the pates in 1500
            England, and beyond. However, I shared this info with a few other "Pate"
            researchers, and some did not agree with me.
            I could find absolutely NOTHING concrete to tie my Thoroughgood in
            with the Thomas Pate that I have, other than the fact that Thoroughgood's
            father was named Thomas Pate and his wife called M. (Hester) or Ester in my
            grandmother's family bible, and it made mention of cousins and uncles named
            John, Thomas, and Samuel". My grandmother told me her Grandfather carried an
            old family name from England and he was named after his daddy, bit they
            called him...as spelled in her bible...Thurgood. I have also seen old letters
            that was hardly legible that talked about a Col. Thoroughgood, and my
            grandmother Carrie told me stories she knew as a child about her grandfather
            fighting Indians with a shovel, him being taken prisoner during the war,
            hiding the "good china" down the well when Sherman came through Laurel Hill,
            and being a first cousin to James and Z.V. Pate. I also know that my
            great-great grandmother (Christina McNeil) that married Thoroughgood Pate was
            from Scotland/England. They are on the 1850 census. He was killed in the
            Civil War. He is not shown on the 1870 census, and her name is listed as
            "Christian" instead of Christina. She had a twin sister and their family
            still lives in Scotland. I was also told they owned property on the Pee Dee
            River a long time ago. According to the dates of my Thoroughgood Pate and his
            father and so on, I am convinced I have the proper lineage correct. The info
            you sent me helped tremendously!
            I read all those documents I referred to earlier after my grandmother
            died when my father was going through her belongings, and I have tried to
            locate them over the past few years, but no one seems to know what happened
            to Grandma Carrie's bible. I grew up hearing stores of how heroic my "Pate"
            granddaddy was, and how ruthless some of the people in his family were where
            their land was concerned. I also heard that some of her family of affluent
            "Pates" did not like my grandfather Archibald Wright, but my grandmother
            Carrie snubbed her nose at the "family," and married him anyway. Archibald
            Wright is also a distant cousin and descendent of Sabre Pate. His family did
            not believe in slavery and most of his family fought for the Yankees during
            the Civil War. I imagine that might have been some of the reason for
            animosity, but it is just conjecture.
            Freda, I am sorry about the long letter. But I have worked so hard,
            spent oodles of money, and spent hours researching documents to come up with
            all this info. I did it strictly for pleasure, and cannot remember now where
            I got some of the information. Unfortunately, I did not keep good records.
            However, I am in the process of retracing my steps, but it will take a while.
            Most of it came from searching historical documents one by one (very tedious
            and slow process), via paid access through Ancestry and genealogy.com. I was
            so tickled when I found a connection. Now, it irritates me that others
            question my work, or downright tell me I am wrong. I believe with all my
            heart that I am correct, (based on relentless research),and I will not
            concede until PROVEN otherwise. I also believe that the name Thoroughgood
            originated from one of the Pates marrying a woman wither kin to or was
            herself a Thurgood in England. The Thurgood family very affluent and ran in
            the same circles as the Pates and Skipwith's. I found many documents where
            both a Pate and a Thurgood witnessed procedures, which caused me to come to
            this conclusion. I also believe the name Thoroughgood was not a stand-alone
            name, as there are many Thomas Thoroughgood's, John Thoroughgood's, Charles
            Thoroughgood's, etc. The first name was often forgotten and dropped, and only
            referred to sometimes in family bibles. Now that part is purely conjecture.
            ha! However, sometimes that's all we have to go on, isn't it? Anyway, again,
            I apologize for the length of this letter. I would LOVE for you to look over
            everything and let me know what you think, or disagree with. You are the ONLY
            person who's opinion I trust, as I feel you are also interested in just
            finding out as much as you can, and maybe together we can put together the
            pieces. I am not opposed to making corrections. I merely want to be correct.
            I would truly appreciate any insight you have to offer. I will send you
            everything I have if you will give me an address to mail it to. I do not know
            how to attach it to an email, and besides, it is a very large file. In
            answer to your only question though, My "Thomas" Thoroughgood Pate was born
            about 1820. His father was Thomas Thoroughgood, son of Samuel Pate (Brother
            to Col. Thoroughgood) and wife, Martha Sweeney. Samuel's father was Thomas
            Thoroughgood and Winnifred Stewart, whose father was Thomas Thoroughgood
            (wife unknown), whose father was T-good and Sarah Chevin, whose father was
            Capt. Thomas Pate and Isabell Todd. This is the first bonifde reference to
            the name Thoroughgood in 1618, that I have found. Isabell Todd's mother was
            and unknown Thurgood. It makes perfect sense to me that the name Thoroughgood
            was spelled differently in the 1700's, and it came from Isabell's mother's
            maiden name. I am still researching this aspect. If you can shed any light on
            this, I would appreciate it. Oh yes. Capt. Thomas Pate's father was Thomas
            (1594) and Margaret Jones. His brothers were John, William, & Edward. Please
            let me know what you think. I am not nuts, just passionate! Ha! Thanks for
            listening. Any help would be so appreciated.
            Kate (Pate, Walters) Pinotti

          • Ted and Freda Noble
            Message 5 of 12 , Aug 15 11:21 PM
              In my search to identify the parents of my gggrandmother Elizabeth
              Thornton, Sills, born 1795, who was married in Sampson County, N.
              Carolina, in 1818, I found the will of Francis Hill, dated ca 1800.
              Francis Hill mentions his daughter Martha Hill who married John
              Thornton.

              Elizabeth Thornton Sills's son Lee Sills married Sarah Ann Lee.
              Elizabeth named a daughter Martha.
              Elizabeth's daughter Sally Sills married a John Thornton.
              The Sills were close to the Lee, Westbrook and Hill families.
              Francis Hill had a son Bennett Hill. Elizabeth Thornton Sills'
              grandson was named Alfred BENNETT Roberson.

              Could my Elizabeth Thornton Sills be the daughter of Martha Hill and
              John Thornton? I would be grateful for any info on these people.

              Freda Roberson Noble
              Gualala Ca