Johnny Reb statue in Laurinburg

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
      Something just dawned on me. I had always presumed that the statue in
      front of the old Courthouse was the Johnny Reb statue, but looking at some
      old photos, I now realize that it was a simple obelisk and not the statue
      of the soldier.
      This was well before my time and I guess I never paid attention.

      Now, my question is, where was the Johnny Reb statue originally located?

      Thanks,
      Bill Meacham
    • George Phillips
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
        Bill, I renenbered one also, and I think it too was in front of the courthouse.  If I remember correctly, there wer 2 statues.

        George Phillips
        Something just dawned on me.  I had always presumed that the statue in
        front of the old Courthouse was the Johnny Reb statue, but looking at some
        old photos, I now realize that it was a simple obelisk and not the statue
        of the soldier.
        This was well before my time and I guess I never paid attention.

        Now, my question is, where was the Johnny Reb statue originally located?

        Thanks,
        Bill Meacham

        The Richmond-Scotland County Historical-Genealogical Societies are actively seeking new members.  Please consider joining any of these societies, your small subscription fee will help the cause of Historical Preservation and Genealogical Research.

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2001
          At 08:01 PM 09/02/2001, you wrote:
          Bill, I renenbered one also, and I think it too was in front of the courthouse.  If I remember correctly, there wer 2 statues.

          George Phillips

          With a little help from Hugh Bostick, I noticed on a photo that the Johnny Reb statue sat way to the right and therefore doesn't necessarily show up in all photos.
          I'm curious now about when and why it was erected?  Any ideas?

          Thanks,
          Bill
        • George Phillips
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2001
            Bill, I don't have any information, only remember it as a child.  It was on the premises until the courthouse was demolished and I never heard what became of the statues.  If you should find any information, please let me know.
            George