Cole/McRae

  • John Ussery
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2001
      Hi Larry,

      Yes, William Berrygrove McRae was married in 1857, in fact he had two children by that time. He was probably married sometime around 1853 as best as I can determine.  There is no question but that the Coles fit into the picture somehow.

      It looks like the father of William Berrygrove McRae was Willima D. McRae who is found in the 1830 census in Anson County, NC and the 1840 census in Chesterfield, SC.  He was deceased by 1850. His  wife's name was Mary.

      I have found another letter that offers a few more clues.  This letter is also written by the same daughter of William Berrygrove McRae.  She has again visited "Old Aunt Hattie" McRae. Hattie has 3 daughters, one named Mary is bed confined but sits up and talks to Alice and tells her that she (Mary) and Alice's grandfather are "First Cousins". This Hattie McRae lived in Ellerbe Springs and I believe she is Catherine McRae who was b. in Scotland abt. 1792.  Her husband is also deceased by the 1850 census. Mary, I believe is the Mary McRae that taught at one time at the Ellerbe Academy in Ellerbe Springs.

      I'll let you know if I find anything else. Thanks so much for your interest and help.

      John