nbc4.com Video: Condi's workout schedule - awesome!

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006

      Intro by Peter Dow

      "OK the video clip from today's broadcast with Condi-in-the-gym is clickable from that link above. She's on it for about the first 2minutes 50 seconds of the 4 minute video clip.

      Awesome - not to be missed by Condi fans."

      NBC4.COM story -

      Talking Fitness With Condoleezza Rice

      Secretary Of State Discusses Healthy Living

      POSTED: 6:23 am EST March 1, 2006
      UPDATED: 9:02 am EST March 1, 2006
      WASHINGTON -- Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is a woman who meets with princes and prime ministers but never misses a date with her personal trainer.
      She's learned that it takes work to stay in shape -- both mentally and physically.
      This past weekend, Rice invited News4's Barbara Harrison for a workout at the State Department gym and showed how she manages to fit fitness into her busy schedule.
      Her trainer, Tommy Tomlo, is a former Marine. Rice said he is a tough coach but starts her workouts easy.
      "We've got two minutes of easy spinning," he said during the start of Rice's workout with Harrison. "You don't have to break any speed records here."
      Slideshow: Images From Workout
      Rice said her cardiovascular workouts are what she shoots for daily, no matter where she is.
      "I'll work out with an elliptical and treadmill -- I have both at my home. I put in a little gym at my apartment," she said. "I'll go every morning for 40 to 45 minutes on that."
      Rice prefers low-impact exercises.
      "I'm ... a little bit over 50," Rice said with a smile. "I spent a lot of years as a figure skater, banging my legs and knees against the ice, and so I've decided that I'm going to speedwalk and walk hills instead of running."
      Her trainer also favors walking over running.
      "I believe that walking is a very important tool that is underutilized for people," Tomlo said. "I'm a big believer in walking -- for the heart and the way it shapes the body and the lack of impact."
      Rice gets up at 4:30 a.m. every day, and no matter where she is in the world, she gets in a workout.
      On this day, she just got home from a 15-hour flight from the Middle East the night before.
      "When I'm on the road, I absolutely schedule time to get in my exercise first," she said.
      "I was very fortunate to have a father who was a really great athlete who introduced me to sports," Rice said. "He stopped exercising and had all sorts of health problems. It was a real lesson to me and showed me that you really have to keep exercising your entire life."
      Watch Part 1 of the three-part series again Wednesday on News4 at 4 p.m.
      Thursday on News4 at 5 a.m., Rice reveals the one time when her weight got out of control and what she did about it.