Condoleezza Rice on the Death of Margaret Thatcher

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 10, 2013
      Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice issued the following statement following the passing of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

      "I am deeply saddened by the news of the passing of Baroness Thatcher. There was no more potent force in the defense of freedom than this remarkable woman. Her unshakable belief in the universal appeal of liberty helped to steer the free world through treacherous times until communism was defeated and Europe emerged whole, free and at peace.

      I was honored to know her and to be inspired by her. Baroness Thatcher will be missed but generations will draw strength from the memory of her passion for freedom."

      Comment by Peter Dow of Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Well as a Scot and a Briton, I actually lived under this woman's (Margaret Thatcher's) rule and I didn't like her much to be honest, with certain economic and social policies differences, though I did agree with retaking the Falkland Islands, not giving up nuclear weapons and other fellow hawk defence issues at the time.

      But Thatcher's voice grated on my ear for some reason. So I can't be a hypocrite and say I was inspired by her just because Condi was because frankly I wasn't.

      Some Americans have said "Condi is our Maggie Thatcher". Well to me they are like chalk and cheese.

      Nevertheless, from what Condi says in tribute, it must be heaven not hell for Maggie.

      Oh well, Margaret Thatcher in heaven can have a lot of fierce arguments with Bobby Sands, the Irish republican hunger-striker and his comrades who starved themselves to death in one of Her Majesty's prisons seeking political recognition status for himself and his comrades from the UK, which Thatcher refused, who will be waiting in heaven to give Maggie a warm welcome no doubt. That'll keep her happy. She liked a good argument!