Washington Monument: From the mountain top to the promised land

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2011

      "Condoleezza Rice for President in 2012. Join this group of supporters from everywhere on the world wide web."

      President Barack Obama, center, his daughter Malia Obama, left, and Harry Johnson, President and CEO of the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Foundation, to his right, look up at the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial, as King family members and the first family look on Sunday, Oct. 16, 2011, on the National Mall in Washington. From right are Marion Robinson, first lady Michelle Obama and Sasha Obama.

      Peter Dow of Rice for President Yahoo Group comments -

      Good job Mr President. When we come to honour and remember Condoleezza Rice we will need to build a monument in proportion to her greatness. Something like this perhaps.

      Condolezza Rice Washington Monument Photoshop

      Condoleezza Rice:
      It's really wonderful for the United States. Obviously the election of, now, President Obama was a giant leap in that direction and I think it said something to the world that America is, in fact, what it claims to be. It's a place where circumstances matter less; where you came from doesn't determine where you're going.

      I think it showed that we have had this painful, painful history with race going back to the original birth defect of slavery and yet, step by step, little by little, we've overcome it to have first, black secretaries of state and black C.E.O.s of major Fortune 100 companies ... and now all the way to an African American as President of the United States.

      It's quite a journey and I always found that when I went around the world it was important to put this into context for people that if you are striving to build democracy in places that are tough or where there hasn't be democracy before, it's always a work in progress. It isn't ever full-blown; it isn't ever something that you stop working at.
      Condoleezza Rice:
      We didn't just focus on the threat of 9/11 but also tried to look to deal with root causes so the international compassion agenda which had to do with doubling foreign assistance for Latin America, quadrupling foreign assistance in Africa, tripling it world wide. The President's emergency AIDS relief programme, the Malaria initiative, girls' education.

      These were elements of a foreign policy agenda that while not directly responsive to 9/11 were responsive to the idea that you had to make a better world that failed states, hopelessness among people were among the causes of what happened to us and so I am pleased that we were able to do that.

      I have a feeling sometimes when I look back over the headlines that it was a bit swamped by 9/11.

      Condoleezza Rice:
      We know we have to deal with the world as it is but we do not have to accept the world as it is.

      Imagine where we would be today if the brave founders of French liberty or of American liberty had simply been content with the world as it was.

      They knew that history does not just happen; it is made. History is made by men and women of conviction of commitment and of courage who will not let their dreams be denied
      .

      WASHINGTON - JANUARY 12, 2009: U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speaks during a news conference at the Department of State January 12, 2009 in Washington, DC. Rice attended the news conference of the release of 'The President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief 2009.'

      BBC: Obama unveils Martin Luther King statue in Washington

      US President Barack Obama has dedicated a new memorial to the assassinated civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, at a ceremony in Washington.

      Addressing the crowd, Mr Obama said that Dr King was now among the founders of the American nation.

      The 30 ft (9m) granite statue lies near the spot where Dr King delivered his famous "I have a dream" speech in 1963.

      The ceremony had been due to take place in August but was postponed due to Hurricane Irene.

      'Draw strength'

      President Obama toured the monument with his wife, Michelle, and his two daughters.
      Speaking to an audience of tens of thousands, he said Americans were right to celebrate Dr King's dream, and vision of unity.

      "On this day, in which we celebrate a man and a movement that did so much for this country, let us draw strength from those earlier struggles," he told the crowd on the National Mall in the US capital.

      "When met with hardship, when confronting disappointment, Dr. King refused to accept what he called the 'is-ness' of today. He kept pushing for the 'ought-ness' of tomorrow," Mr Obama said.

      "In this place, he will stand for all time, among monuments to those who fathered this nation and those who defended it."

      The statue is situated between the memorials for Presidents Thomas Jefferson and Abraham Lincoln.

      Born in Atlanta, Georgia, in 1929, Martin Luther King was a clergyman and leading figure in the US civil rights movement.

      He was assassinated in 1968 during a visit to Memphis, Tennessee, aged 39.