"Larry Eagleburger ... wise, no-nonsense counsel" - President George H. W. Bush

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2011

      2006: From left: Harold Brown, Lawrence S. Eagleburger, James A. Baker III, Colin L. Powell, James R. Schlesinger, Donald H. Rumsfeld, Vice President Dick Cheney, President. Bush, Condoleezza Rice, George P. Shultz, Melvin R. Laird, Robert S. McNamara, Madeleine K. Albright, Alexander M. Haig Jr., Frank C. Carlucci, William J. Perry and William S. Cohen.

      President Obama and former President George H.W. Bush are paying tribute to former Republican Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger, who died today at age 80.

      Eagleburger, the only career diplomat who rose to become Secretary of State, served as President Bush's top diplomat in 1992; before that, he was deputy secretary of state during the tumultuous end of the Cold War.

      Obama's statement:
      With the passing of former Secretary of State Lawrence Eagleburger, our nation has lost a distinguished diplomat and public servant.

      Through more than four decades of service, first in the Army and then as a dedicated foreign service officer and statesman, Lawrence Eagleburger devoted his life to the security of our nation and to strengthening our ties with allies and partners.

      As Deputy Secretary and then Secretary of State under President George H. W. Bush, he helped our nation navigate the pivotal days during the fall of the Berlin Wall and the end of the Cold War. Our nation is grateful for Secretary Eagleburger's lifetime of service, and our thoughts and prayers are with his family, especially his three sons.
      Former President George H.W. Bush also paid tribute:
      Larry Eagleburger was one of the most capable and respected diplomats our foreign service ever produced, and I will be ever grateful for his wise, no-nonsense counsel during those four years of historic change in our world.
      During one of the tensest moments of the Gulf War, when Saddam Hussein began attacking Israel with scud missiles trying cynically and cruelly to bait them into the conflict, we sent Larry to Israel to preserve our coalition. It was an inordinately complex and sensitive task, and his performance was nothing short of heroic.

      For this and so many other reasons, Larry was the real deal -- a tireless patriot, principled to the core, selflessly devoted to America and his duty.
      Barbara and I mourn the loss of a true friend. He was a good man, and he will be missed.

      Lawrence S. Eagleburger, center, served as a foreign policy adviser to presidents and as secretary of state for the first President George Bush. He specialized in crises, specifically in the Balkans.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Eagleburger

      "Condoleezza Rice for President in 2012. Join this group of supporters from everywhere on the world wide web."