9/11: Condoleezza Rice in the White House. Crisis controlled. (VIDEO)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2010
      9/11: Condoleezza Rice in the White House. Crisis controlled. (VIDEO)
      September 11 2001. Al Qaeda terrorists hijack US airplanes and crash them into high value targets. With the President in Florida, National Security Advisor, Condoleezza Rice must try and stop the chaos spiralling out of control. Condoleezza Rice tells the President in a raised voice that he cannot come back to the White House yet and hangs up. Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is AWOL surveying the damage of the attack on the Pentagon and helping the wounded when he should be in the Pentagon Command Center co-ordinating the military response. Neither the President, his chief of staff nor Condoleezza Rice can contact Rumsfeld at a critical time. The US military forces raise their alert level to DEFCON 3, the highest state of war readiness since the Cuban missile crisis but Condoleezza Rice keeps her head and uses the hot line to call the Kremlin to stop a cold-war-style of escalating alerts. Edited extracts from a documentary, partially dramatised for British Channel 4. 14 minutes 2 seconds.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMp4jcGUbvc

      Partial transcript of highlights from this video.

      September 11 2001.

      Commentary:
      "Condoleezza Rice, National Security Advisor responsible for the continuity of government in a crisis.
      The White House is an obvious target and Rice is inside it."

      Condoleezza Rice:

      "The President got on the phone and said 'I'm coming back'.
      I said 'You cannot come back here. The United States of America is under attack. You have to go to safety. We don't know what is going on here.'
      and he said 'I'm coming back', I said 'You can't'.

      I said to him in a raised voice, and I had never raised my voice to the President before. I said 'You cannot come back here'. The President was quite annoyed with me to say the least."

      Andrew Card, White House Chief of Staff, Sarasota, Florida
      Commentary.
      "Card is Bush's right hand man."

      Andrew Card:
      "The President was trying to track down Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld. I was trying to help track him down too. I wasn't just the President, there were others trying to track him down."

      A.W.O.L. Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense, The Pentagon.

      Commentary:
      "Donald Rumseld, Secretary of Defense, tries to organise a military response while his own headquarters is under attack. Rumsfeld has to choose: head for the command bunker or help the wounded?
      300 yards from the explosion, Rumsfeld decides to see the damage for himself.

      Donald Rumsfeld.
      "I was told where it was and immediately ran down the hall."

      Commentary:
      "Donald Rumseld is surveying the crash site surrounded by injured staff".

      Donald Rumsfeld.
      "I got down there very early and there were people helping people out of the building."

      Condoleezza Rice:
      "I tried to reach Don Rumsfeld. He was needed in the command center and I couldn't. I looked behind me and a plane had hit the Pentagon."
      Commentary:
      "With the President in Florida, National Security Advisor, Condoleezza Rice must try and stop the chaos spiralling out of control."

      9.45 Staff have been leaving the White House since 9.20. After the attack on the Pentagon, they're told to run. Within the hour, the UN building in New York and the Sears Tower in Chicago are also deserted and all of lower Manhattan is evacuating.

      But below the White House's East Wing, a world war 2 era bunker is packed with top officials.

      Condoleezza Rice:
      "There are so many people in the bunker that the oxygen level started dropping and the secret service came in and said 'We've got to get some people out of here'. They literally went around telling people that they weren't essential and they had to leave."

      Commentary:
      "Condoleezza Rice and Vice President Cheney remain, struggling to maintain some structure in government."
      Al Qaeda's attack on America triggers cold war protocols. The US military raises its defence readiness position to DEFCON 3. It's only been higher during the Cuban Missile crisis."

      Condoleezza Rice:
      "I knew that our forces were going up on alert, our military forces and I had been schooled and taught about the spiral of alerts: American military forces alert - Russian forces alert - we alert - they alert - and pretty soon you're at DEFCON 1 and near war just on the basis of alerts."

      Commentary:
      "With the President somewhere over Louisiana, Rice decides to pick up the hot line to the Kremlin herself.

      Condoleezza Rice
      "So I called President Putin and I said 'Mr President our forces will be going up on alert'. He said 'I know we've seen them. Ours are coming down. We've cancelled an exercise. You don't have to worry about us. Is there anything else that we can do?'

      and for one moment, I had this moment of refection, I thought 'The cold war's really over, it is really over'.

      As I've reflected now on what the passengers and crew of 93, flight 93 did. First of all there is a sense of personal gratitude that they may well have saved my life, me personally. I also think of what they did for the country because had another plane hit the White House or the Capitol, I just don't think we had much more capacity to absorb greater shock than we already had.

      My calendar for that day I have since retrieved and there are lots of things on it and my secretary when it happened, just put a large X through it and said 'America attacked, 9/11' and that said it all. Nothing else that we were going to do that day, nothing else that we were ever going to do after that day was ever the same."

      US National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice briefs the press September 19, 2001 on the outline of President George W. Bush's address to a joint session of Congress on September 20. Bush will not declare war, but will inform the nation on his plans to combat terrorism.

      National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice discusses the war on terrorism November 18, 2001 on NBC's ''Meet the Press'' during a taping at the NBC studios in Washington, DC.

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2010
        That was Very impressive !
        I've always noticed how Rice has kept her cool in different situations...but 9/11 was  surely the acid test for keeping a clear, calm, rational mind.
        Thank you for bringing this in !

        Maybe Condoleezza plans to run in 2012 but is keeping it under wraps till sometime in 2012.......I can hope....

        Suzan