"Extraordinary, Ordinary People" by Condoleezza Rice. Published by Crown Publising Group

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 27, 2010

      Condoleezza Rice Reveals Details of First Memoir

      Readers who await Condoleezza Rice's reflections on her years in the White House of George W. Bush will have to wait for memoir No. 2: on Tuesday, Ms. Rice, the former secretary of state and national security adviser, and her publisher, the Crown Publishing Group, said that the first release in a two-book deal signed by Ms. Rice last February would discuss her growing up against the backdrop of the civil rights movement.

      In a news release Crown said that the book, called "Extraordinary, Ordinary People," would chronicle Ms. Rice's childhood in Birmingham, Ala., from the "seemingly placid 1950s, when Birmingham blacks lived in a segregated parallel universe," through "the shockingly violent '60s when Rice saw girlhood friends lose their lives to the bloodshed." The book would also emphasize Ms. Rice's role models, including her parents, John and Angelena.

      Condoleezza Rice, her mother Angelena Rice and her father John Wesley Rice in 1982

      In a statement Ms. Rice said: "After I left Washington it seemed important to write about how my very special parents, my extended family and so many mentors shaped me for the challenges that lay ahead. I decided that was the story I wanted to tell first."

      Crown, an imprint of Random House, said "Extraordinary, Ordinary People" would be released on Oct. 12. An edition of the book for young-adult readers is also planned by Delacorte Press, a division of Random House Children's Books.

      In this interview with Nina Easton, the Washington Editor of Fortune in September 2009, at Fortune's "Most Powerful Women Summit" Condoleezza Rice speaks about her forthcoming new books -

      Peter Dow comments - "Ms" Rice? "Ms"?
      What happened to "Secretary Rice"? "The Honorable Condoleezza Rice"? "Dr Rice"?
      The New York Times should show more respect for our world leader!

      Rice for President Yahoo Group

      "Condoleezza Rice for President in 2012. Join this group of supporters from everywhere on the world wide web."