Condi @ the UN: Our Gaza goals: true calm, prevent rearmament of Hamas (VIDEO & transcript)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 6, 2009

      New group link -

      Gaza: Condoleezza Rice. Our Gaza goals: true calm, prevent rearmament of Hamas
      Condi addressed the United Nations Security Council on January 6th, 2009 on the situation in Gaza and Israel's military offensive against Hamas rocket attacks.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=R425OVezmYw

      United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speaks during ...

      TRANSCRIPT OF THE VIDEO

      "The United States is of course deeply concerned about the situation in Gaza which is clearly worsening.

      We have been working around the clock to try and end the violence there.

      The ongoing attacks against Israel and the decision that Hamas made not to respect the previous period of calm shows us that when this ends there must be new arrangements in place not a return to the status quo ante.

      It is imperative that any cease fire is durable and sustainable and that it ensures the safety and security of Israelis and Palestinians alike.

      The situation before the current events in Gaza was clearly not sustainable. Hundreds of thousands of Israelis lived under the daily threat of rocket attack and frankly no country, none of our countries would have been willing to tolerate such a circumstance.

      Moreover the people of Gaza watched as insecurity and lawlessness increased and as their living conditions grew more dire because of Hamas's actions which began with the illegal coup against the Palestinian authority in Gaza.

      A cease-fire that returns to those circumstances is unacceptable and it will not last.

      We need urgently to conclude a cease-fire that can endure and that can bring real security.

      This would begin a period of true calm that includes an end to rocket, mortar and other attacks on Israelis and allows for the cessation of Israel's military offensive and it must include also an end to the smuggling into Gaza and a re-opening of crossings so that Palestinians can benefit from humanitarian goods and basic supplies.

      The November 2005 agreement on movement and access provides a basis for the re-opening of these crossings.
      We must find a way, with the consent and full co-operation of like-minded governments to prevent any arms or explosives from entering Gaza and the tunnel systems that have allowed re-armament of Hamas must be prevented from re-opening.

      Our goal must be the stabilisation and normalization of life in Gaza.

      This will require a principled resolution of the political challenges in Gaza that re-establishes ultimately the Palestinian Authority's legitimate control and facilitates the normal operation of all crossings.

      The November 26th Arab League statement will serve as an important guide in these efforts that are lead by Egypt and the international community should adopt an intensive reconstruction initiative perhaps through a donors' conference that would complement the efforts of the Palestinian Authority in Gaza because the Palestinian Authority actually devotes 58% of its budget to Gaza; there should be an effort to reconstruct Gaza.
      As we strive for a cease-fire, the United States remains deeply concerned about innocent Palestinians and Israelis who are suffering. In that regard, let me assure you that we understand the urgency of an end to the fighting and that we are working around the clock to bring it into being.

      In this regard, we are pleased by and wish to commend the statement of the President of Egypt to follow up on that initiative but we also are very concerned about the humanitarian situation in Gaza.

      I have had from people on the ground - American partners on the ground - detailed reports about the difficult circumstances in Gaza. I have discussed these in detail with Prime Minister Olmert and with Foreign Minister Livni and the Prime Minster has informed me that as of tomorrow, Israel will open a humanitarian corridor so that there can be some relief for the people of Gaza.

      This is something that we will follow up on but we will also help you Mr Secretary General to follow up on this through UNRA because the problem as I understand it is that even if goods get in to Gaza, it is not possible to distribute them within Gaza and so the United States will actively work to relieve this circumstance."
      Moreover the United States which has already provided in the last year 85 million dollars for humanitarian work in Gaza will contribute more emergency aid if that is needed.

      We need very much to find a solution to this problem in the short term but it really must be a solution this that does not allow Hamas to use Gaza as a launching pad against Israeli cities.

      It has to be a solution that does not allow the rearmament of Hamas and it must be a solution that finds a way to open crossings so that Palestinians in Gaza can have a normal life.

      Just three weeks ago, we sat in this chamber to vote on a UN Security Council resolution 1850. It described the principles to chart a better future for Israelis and Palestinians alike. Resolution 1850 noted that lasting peace can only be based on an enduring commitment to mutual recognition, freedom from violence, incitement and terror, and the two states solution building upon previous agreements and obligations.

      I think that the members of this council know that President Bush and I personally have been very dedicated to this goal.

      We remain dedicated to this goal and the United States of America will remain dedicated to this goal because we know that the time has long since come when Palestinians who deserve to live in their own state should get that state and when Israelis who will live in peace and security when they have a peaceful neighbour should have that peace and security.

      I do not mean in any way to diminish the dangers, the urgency, the challenges of this moment in Gaza.

      This is a crisis that we must resolve and resolve urgently; but we must also stay focused on creating the conditions that will ultimately lead to a real peace between Israelis and Palestinians. Thank you."

      The above transcript was by Peter Dow, Owner Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Official State Department transcript -

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2009
        New group link

        Gaza: US abstains on UN Gaza cease-fire resolution. Condoleezza Rice explains. (VIDEO)
        Meeting at 21.25 New York Time on January 8, 2009 (which was 02.25 GMT January 9, 2009), the UN Security Council passed resolution 1860 by 14 votes for, no votes against and 1 abstention by the United States of America cast the US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice. After the resolution was passed, Condoleezza Rice addressed the Security Council.
        http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykw67gVczHU

        Remarks At the UN Security Council Session On the Situation in the Middle East

        Secretary Condoleezza Rice
        United Nations Headquarters
        New York, New York
        January 8, 2009

        U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, right, abstains from ...
        U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, right, abstains from voting, as Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit, left, and Israeli Ambassador to the U.N. Gabriela Shalev observe, at a United Nations Security Council meeting on the situation in Gaza, at U.N. headquarters, Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009.(AP Photo/John Marshall Mantel)

        SECRETARY RICE: Thank you, Mr. President, and thank you, Mr. Secretary General. I am pleased to join the members of the Council for this important discussion tonight. It is obviously a very serious situation in Gaza. And while our goal must be the stabilization and normalization of Gaza through the implementation of a durable and fully respected ceasefire and an end to all terrorist activities, I think that this resolution shows that the Council and the United Nations is indeed seized of the matter.

        This resolution is a step toward our goals. It reflects the international community’s concern about the circumstances in Gaza and its desire for a sustainable peace in Gaza.

        I want especially to note that while much work remains to be done, there is important work underway. In that regard, the work of the Egyptian president, President Mubarak, in the mediation efforts of Egypt are to be not just applauded, but supported. I believe that it is those efforts that will ultimately help to lead to a durable ceasefire and that will not only lead to a durable ceasefire but to a sustainable peace in Gaza, and we must all support the Egyptian efforts.

        Obviously, there are many tasks to be done to root out the causes of the hostilities, including to deal with the provision of rockets and the smuggling of weapons, to secure the borders so that we can lay the basis for the reopening of crossings based on the principles of the 2005 Agreement on Movement and Access, and to provide security for the Israeli people and a better life for the people of Gaza.

        We must establish an international consensus that Gaza must never again be used as a launching pad for rockets against Israeli citizens, because it is important to remember how this crisis began. Violence in Gaza was instigated by Hamas, a terrorist group that called for the destruction of Israel. Eighteen months ago, Hamas took over the Gaza Strip in a coup, and since then, thousands of guns and rockets and mortars have been smuggled into Gaza. Hamas refused to extend the tahadiya and continued armament is a root cause of the current situation and it has gravely endangered the residents of both Gaza and southern Israel. Hamas’s commitment to violence is not only an attack on Israel, but also on the two-state solution.

        We require principled resolution of the situation in Gaza, and the Security Council resolution that we are passing tonight, in fact, gives us a basis on which to do this.

        Of course, it is not just a matter of resolving the situation on the ground. There will need to be a principled resolution also of the political challenges in Gaza that reestablishes the Palestinian Authority’s control, including over borders; and facilitates the normal operation of Rafah and Kerem Shalom crossings, as the resolution recognizes; and in time, the opening of other crossings.

        And we support President Abbas as he carries out his responsibilities both with respect to governance and in negotiations to establish a state of Palestine. Regional states have previously recognized the importance of this, notably in the November 26 Arab League resolution.

        As we strive for a sustainable ceasefire, the United States remains deeply concerned about the innocent Palestinians who are suffering in Gaza, and the United States will undertake, maintain, and continue the humanitarian efforts that we are taking to support UNRWA and the other nongovernmental organizations that are working there.

        Let me say, too, that the United States recognizes the right of Israel, like other states, to exercise its right of self-defense. And we have said to Israel that it is obligated to take feasible steps to minimize the impact of any actions on civilians.

        Ladies and gentlemen, I want to remind the Council also that Hamas continues to hold IDF soldier Gilad Shalit, and he must be released.

        Finally, let me just note that while we are dealing with the current situation in Gaza, we must keep our eye on the goal of Resolution 1850, which we passed in this chamber a short time ago. That is the goal of establishing an enduring commitment to mutual recognition; freedom from violence, incitement, and terror; and a two-state solution, building upon previous agreements and obligations. All UN member-states bear a responsibility to promote these principles and to help the parties toward the establishment of a state of Palestine to live in peace, side by side with the state of Israel.

        Ladies and gentlemen, the United States thought it important to see the outcomes of the Egyptian mediation efforts in order to see what this resolution might have been supporting, and that is why we chose to abstain tonight. But after a great deal of consideration, we decided that this resolution, the text of which we support, the goals of which we support, and the objectives that we fully support, should indeed be allowed to go forward. I believe in doing so, the Council has provided a roadmap for a sustainable, durable peace in Gaza.

        Thank you very much.

        Israeli Ambassador to the United Nations Gabriela Shalev, left, ...
        Israeli Ambassador to the United Nations Gabriela Shalev, left, greets U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in the United Nations Security Council after a resolution vote on the situation in Gaza, at U.N. headquarters, Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009.(AP Photo/John Marshall Mantel)

        U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, left, confers with ...

        U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, left, confers with Egyptian Foreign Minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit during a United Nations Security Council meeting on the situation in Gaza, at U.N. headquarters, Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009.(AP Photo/John Marshall Mantel)
        2009/024
        U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, left, abstains from ...
        U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, left, abstains from voting as Vietnamese representative Le Luong Minh votes for the resolution during a United Nations Security Council meeting on the situation in Gaza, at U.N. headquarters, Thursday, Jan. 8, 2009.(AP Photo/John Marshall Mantel)