I have written to abuse@facebook.com about this false Condi page on Facebook

    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2008
      Here is the text of my email to Facebook about their false Condi page -

      If anyone else would like to write in similar or their own terms that might be helpful too.

      What would be really nice would be for Condi to authorise me to run her own official page on Facebook.

      I would love to do that for Condi and I am sure I would do a good job for her and for all Condistas.

      I think I will forward this to the State Department to see if any of the State Dept. officials will say anything about this.

      - Peter

      Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 00:25:24 +0100 (BST)
      From: Peter Dow <peterdow@...>
      Subject: Facebook Page impersonating Condoleezza Rice
      To: abuse@...

      There is a page on Facebook
       which is spelled

      "Condoleeza Rice" with one "z"

      Condoleezza Rice's true name is spelled with 2 "z"s and that is I guess how the Page Admin got round your system.

      Now it is clearly an attempt to claim to be the duly authorised Page on Facebook on Condoleezza Rice and I object. This is abuse!

      What is more, your help system says this -

      To report a Page for content that violates our Terms of Use, please click on the "Report this Page" link found in the bottom, left corner of every Page. We do not allow Pages to impersonate any entities and will remove any that attempt to do so.
      Yet there is no such "Report this Page" link to be found on this bogus, fraudulent, false page!

      Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Peter Dow <peterdow@...> wrote:
      UPDATE - additional comment, also posted on that "Condoleeza Rice Page on Facebook"

      Peter Dow wrote
      at 11:58pm
      The other thing to note, is that if you go through the help system to find out what to do about abuse, you find this -

      Abuse
      What do I do when I see a Page with offensive content or a Page that is pretending to be an artist or business that it's not?

      To report a Page for content that violates our Terms of Use, please click on the "Report this Page" link found in the bottom, left corner of every Page. We do not allow Pages to impersonate any entities and will remove any that attempt to do so.

      OK but WHERE IS THE "Report this Page" link?

      I can't see it anywhere? Can anyone see the "Report this Page" link?

      Where is it? How do you complain? How do you even get it discussed with management? What is the email to write to about this?

      HELP!

      - Peter Dow

      Peter Dow wrote
      at 11:53pm
      In fact the give away that this page IS INDEED NOT OFFICIAL is that they have spelled Condi's name wrong.

      The Page Admin has spelled Condi's name as "Condoleeza" with one "z" when in fact Condi's name is spelled with two "z"s as in "Condoleezza" .

      Now to investigate this, I tried to see if the system here would allow just anyone to set up a page with Condi's real name "Condoleezza Rice" but the system wouldn't allow that name - fair enough.

      So maybe Facebook have got a list of forbidden names for pages - for famous people for whom no duly authorised representative has come forward.

      It looks like Facebook are blocking "Condoleezza Rice" but are allowing pages with mis-spells of her name to be set up.

      Come on Facebook - let's have a bit of honesty here.

      - Peter Dow

      Peter Dow <peterdow@talk21. com> wrote:
      ALERTING ALL CONDISTAS!

      I don't know how many people here are familiar with Facebook?

      I haven't used it much though I note there are quite a number of Condi fans and groups over there on Facebook now - more than even on Yahoo perhaps.

      So I was just setting up a Rice for President Yahoo Group on Facebook group
      when I discovered that Facebook has such things as "Pages" which are supposed to be run by THE ONE AND ONLY true representative of the person or business concerned.

      So there is only ever going to be one "Condoleezza Rice" page. The question is, who is running the one and only Condi page on Facebook? Is it being run by Condi's representatives? Who is running it, if it is not Condi's representative? Who are Facebook putting in charge of Condi's reputation?

      I think we need to know the answers to these questions my fellow Condistas!

      So, who on earth is running this? The Facebook Condoleezza Rice page?

      I have posted a wall message and a discussion topic on that Facebook page as well, as follows -

      Hello I am relatively new to Facebook; I am just learning about "Pages" on Facebook and how the rules of Facebook state that the Page Admin must be an authorised representative of the person profiled.

      I am checking to see that this is the case for this Condoleezza Rice page. I don't know for a fact that the Page Admin here is, in fact, as he or she claims, a representative of Condoleezza Rice.

      Well neither am I but I do care deeply that Condi is not being misrepresented or worse, a "False Flag" operation is being operated here - in an attempt to discredit Condoleezza Rice.

      I note for example, that one of the so called "Fan photos" here is a "VIETRAQ" image.

      So who is the Page Admin here?

      What is his or her credentials from Condoleezza Rice?

      Who from Facebook administration has checked those credentials with Condoleezza Rice to make sure this page is bona fide - true - and not, in some sense, a fraud?

      Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      So I hope loyal Condistas will understand my concern.

      Facebook has "groups" and anyone can set up a Condi group of their own - and their are loads.

      But someone has set up THE ONE AND ONLY Condoleezza Rice page and that person must have claimed to be a representative of Condi to get permission from Facebook to do that.

      So I think that everyone who is concerned that Condi should not be misrepresented should be investigating this Facebook page to discover who is really behind it.

      Why for example, is this image one of the "fan photos"?

      It is not the sort of thing that a real fan would post - so why has it not been deleted by the Page Admin on Facebook?

      Either this "Condoleezza Rice Facebook Page" is a false flag operation or the person doing the Page Admin is too busy to do a good job and delete malicious content?

      Anyway, I think we Condistas REALLY need to find out what is going on over on Facebook with this "Condoleezza Rice" page.

      - Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
      A Smarter Email.