Music Video, Photos - Condi's tribute to Benazir Bhutto, martyr for Pakistan. + DON'T RISK CONDI!

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
      New group link -

      Bhutto. Condi's tribute to Benazir Bhutto, martyr for Pakistan
      Condoleezza Rice, US Secretary of State, signs the book of condolences at the Pakistan Embassy in Washington upon the assassination and martyrdom of Benazir Bhutto, former Prime Minister of Pakistan and leader of the Pakistan People's Party. News video of mourners vigils and clips of Benazir Bhutto speaking too. Set to music. "Golden Brown" by the Stranglers.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TIScjm7JGVc

      United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (R) pays her ...
      United States Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (R) pays her respects before signing a book of condolence at the Pakistan Embassy for former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto in Washington, on December 28, 2007. Bhutto was killed in a gun and bomb attack as she left an election rally in the city of Rawalpindi on Thursday.(Kevin Lamarque/Reuters)

      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is accompanied by Pakistan's ...

      The condolence book for slain Pakistan opposition leader Benazir ...

      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speaks to reporters after ...

      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speaks to reporters after she signed a condolence book for slain Pakistan opposition leader Benazir Bhutto, Friday, Dec. 28, 2007, at the Pakistan Embassy in Washington. Bhutto was assassinated Thursday in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, by an attacker who shot her after a campaign rally and then blew himself up.(AP Photo/Charles Dharapak)

      SECRETARY RICE: Let me just say that I wanted to come to express personally, and also on behalf, of course, of the American people, our deep sympathies with the Bhutto family, with her -- supporters of Benazir Bhutto and, of course, with the Pakistani people. This is a day of great tragedy, great mourning. She was a champion for democracy. She was a courageous woman. In my conversations with her, her commitment and her dedication came through very clearly, and most especially her love for her people and for her country. And I believe that her legacy will be one of being remembered for that dedication. And as the President said yesterday, the way to honor her memory is to continue the democratic process in Pakistan so that the democracy that she so hoped for can emerge.
      Thank you.
      QUESTION: Madame Secretary, should the elections continue on January 8th?
      SECRETARY RICE: We are in contact with people in Pakistan , all of the parties. But obviously, it's just very important that the democratic process go forward.
      Thank you very much.

      DON'T RISK CONDI!

      Eric  -

      It is not Foreign Secretaries job to get themselves killed on behalf of their country.

      It IS the job of political supporters to "watch the back" of their politician and make sure that they are not being led into unacceptable danger.

      Same goes for officials, diplomats etc. - another US diplomat killed recently in Sudan I see.

      We are throwing away our best people for no gain.

      If we need a presence in the worst trouble spots then let the Embassies there be staffed purely by military personnel, including technicians who can set up video conferencing equipment, so that if any foreign representative wants to get in touch, and their video/internet equipment is not up to the job then they can visit the Embassy.

      "Capitalizing" or "picking up the pieces" would be best done by getting smarter - insisting that the only satellites broadcasting to Pakistan or the rest of the Muslim world are only broadcasting pro-Western propaganda and never the crap that Bin Laden puts out. Blast enemy satellites to bits or lazer zap them or something! Also shut down terror websites.

      That would be smart - whereas getting our best people killed is dumb.

      Nor should we bet the whole future of civilisation on the wisdom of Musharraf.  He has already made things bad enough for Pakistan, and things CAN get worse still particularly if WE trust him to be competent, when he has proved that he isn't competent (at best).

      I say "whole future of civilisation" because Condi  is no ordinary Secretary of State, but I believe she carries with her the hopes, dreams and prospects of a better future for all mankind.  We simply CANNOT RISK CONDI!

      To lose Condi to assassination would be the greatest crime since they nailed one Jesus of Nazareth to a cross, and history would never forgive us  if we allowed it to happen.

      - Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Eric and Kathy Craft <thecrafts@...> wrote:
      The jobs of the US Secretary of State and the British Foreign Minister are not always safe.  It is their job to go into risky parts of the world to try to bargain deals with people who are sometimes, really bad people.

      Musharraf is no fool.  He knows that if the US loses a Secretary of State or Ambassador or if the UK loses a Foreign Minister or Ambassador in Pakistan, things would get very bad for Pakistan.  Odds are that the US and UK have long ago sat over a map of Pakistan with representatives from India to work out a "Plan B" to get control of Pakistan's nuclear weapons if Pakistan ever got to unstable to deal with and Musharraf knows it.

      Bhutto was not the smartest or most honest politician to ever walk the Earth, but she had guts.  As sad as the situation is, Bhutto's death has now created a martyr for moderate Muslims.  Odds are that Bhutto could have never governed in Pakistan the way that the nation is right now if she was elected.  However, she has now gone from a gutsy, but mediocre politician to a martyr and all around rallying cry for moderate Muslims to use against Islamo-Fascists.

      She knew that there was a better chance of her getting killed than getting elected if she returned to Pakistan.  She also knew that her name carried a lot of weight in Pakistan and knew what would happen if she got killed.  Bhutto gave her life for her country and now her followers are going to turn that nation on it's ear going after the terrorist scum who killed her.  It would be a crime for the US and UK to not have our embassies there to capitalize on her sacrifice and to help pick up the pieces after everything has played out.

      Eric...

      Peter Dow wrote:
      Don't risk our Condi in Pakistan!

      Peter Dow comments -
      People, there is a war on terror on - and in a war, you don't - you SHOULDN'T - send your leaders into the front line for enemy skirmishers to assassinate.

      So it was foolish for Benazir Bhutto expose herself to risk at a political rally as if it was peace-time or something.

      Musharraf  has not secured Pakistan. Not only are "the tribal areas" not secure, one wonders if anywhere in Pakistan is secure.

      Is it wise to continue to have an American, British and Allied Embassies over there?

      In the age of internet, can we not do all our diplomacy over the internet, with video conferencing?

      Why risk the lives of unarmed diplomats or politicians? We are sorry to lose Benazir Bhutto and that is a set back for the war on terror.

      If Condi  gets assassined,  then maybe we might start losing the war on terror.  So don't risk it. Keep Condi safe!

      Dangerous Pakistan is more dangerous for us than even dangerous countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, where we have lots of American and allied military for protection.

      Musharraf has blocked American military pursuing Taliban from Afghanistan into Pakistan. He has refused to hand over his nuclear experts to say who else they have passed over expertise to (Iran?, Al Qaeda?) to make nuclear weapons.

      At best, Musharraf is grossly incompetent - and unable to secure even Pakistan's political leaders - at worst, he is speaking in bad faith and conspiring with elements in his own security services to obstruct the war on Al Qaeda.

      The suspicion is that military dictatorships like Musharraf, and absolute monarchies like Saudi Arabia, have a symbiotic relationship with terrorism - each provides a pretext for the continuation and support of the other, - so neither can afford to eliminate entirely the other - and so each end up secretly defending each other while pretending to be serious about opposing the other.

      We can't trust Musharraf or much of the Pakistan military it seems so we better have a military plan B.

      - Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Sent from Yahoo! - a smarter inbox.
    • Eric and Kathy Craft
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2008
        Getting killed while in service to one's country most certainly is a risk of being a diplomat.  Soldiers are not diplomats.  Military is used where diplomacy is pointless.

        The Russians, Chinese and the Europeans would not take kindly to the US blasting their satellites out of the sky over the Middle East.  That would truly be bad diplomacy and put a great big target on our satellites.  Odds are that any "terrorist website" that is out there is read by the CIA as things are posted on them.  Where would the US stop at shutting down websites that spew enemy propaganda anyway, Al Jazera, BBC, DW, CBC, CNN, MSNBC, Reuters?  That would become the "slippery slope" argument from Hell.

        It is extraordinarily unlikely that Condi is going to get killed on the job in Pakistan or anywhere else.  It is also a bit over dramatic to say that the future of humanity is in her hands.  She is retiring from politics in January, 2009.  She has only publicly shown interest in two jobs after she retires from politics; Commissioner of the NFL and Fox News political correspondent.  Neither of those jobs have any clout in the future of humanity.  Condi has led a very busy life.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condoleezza_Rice
        I have a feeling that after January, 2009, Condi is going to kick back and start enjoying her life.

        Eric...