Rice's views - Issues Quotations. (Thanks AfR!)

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi Ryan and a warm welcome to Rice for President Yahoo Group,

      Well good question,

      Condi's views on foreign policy, the war on terror, Iraq and so on are so well known, but we don't hear quite so much about Condi on the domestic issues. Well little snippets here and there when she asked in one of her many interviews.

      Well I found a good page that maybe answers some of your questions on Americans for Rice, 4Condi website.

      I've added in a new link to the group's links section
      Issues Quotations. Americans for Rice quote Condi.
      Condi quoted on Abortion, Cuba, On being a Republican, Affirmative Action, Education and Environment, Immigration, Faith, Free Trade, Foreign Policy, Health Care, Human Rights, Middle East, National Defense, Second Amendment, Taxes, Terrorism,
      http://www.4condi.com/issuequotation.htm

      But I think I'll copy and paste the contents of that page in here as well.

      Issue Quotations
      We cannot speak for Dr. Rice, nor would we want to, that's why we have political campaigns.  However, Dr. Rice's statements on a variety of subjects are a matter of public record and we're going to list them here.
      Abortion
      Editor's note: This is undoubtedly the issue that generates the most e-mail.  When Dr. Rice's statements on abortion are examined in their entirety, and not just oft-quoted sound bites of "reluctantly" or "mildly pro-choice," we believe that Dr. Rice's position IS pro-family and pro-life.  Although she has not supported a constitutional amendment banning all abortions, which is not a political reality for the foreseeable future; her positions have a real potential for being enacted and will reduce abortions in our country sooner, and to a greater degree, than any other proposal with a realistic chance of becoming the law of the land.

      The following are taken from Dr. Rice's interview that appeared in the Washington Times, March 11, 2005:
      "I'm very comfortable with the president's view that we have to respect and need to have a culture that respects life. This should be an issue pretty infrequently because we ought to have a culture that says that, ‘Who wants to have an abortion? Who wants to see a daughter or a friend or, you know, a sibling go through something like that?’ And so I believe the president has been in exactly the right place about this, which is, we have to respect the culture of life and we have to try and bring people to have respect for it and make this as rare a circumstance as possible.”

      I've called myself at times mildly pro-choice.....That's what that means. I think that there are a lot of things that we can unite around, and that's where I would tend to be.

      "...kind of Libertarian on this issue, and meaning by that that I have been concerned about a government role in this issue. I'm a strong proponent of parental choice, of parental notification. I'm a strong proponent of a ban on late-term abortion. These are all things that I think unite people and I think that that's where we should be."  (Emphasis ours.)

      "What I do think is that we should not have the federal government in a position where it is forcing its views on one side or the other. So, for instance, I've tended to agree with those who do not favor federal funding for abortion, because I believe that those who hold a strong moral view on the other side should not be forced to fund it.”   (Emphasis ours.)
      Now, let's look at these statements.  By banning late-term abortions (this would include "partial birth" procedures) coupled with a "Libertarian" viewpoint and a limited federal role, Roe vs. Wade would have to be overturned, or its implications drastically reinterpreted.  Considering Dr. Rice's conservative political background and second amendment "absolutist" position (see below); she can be relied upon to nominate conservative judges that would be open to this.  And as we all know -- for better or worse, it is the judges, not the president, that will decide the future of Roe vs. Wade.  Also, in other abortion-related issues where the President plays a more direct role, Dr. Rice's positions are pro-life and pro-family -- against federal funding of abortions and for parental notification.  With a Republican congress, Dr. Rice's policies could be enacted quickly.

      Cuba
      Cuba Libre
      Only oppression should fear
      the full exercise of freedom. - José Marti

      For more information on José Marti or Cuba, visit the Florida International University's Free Cuba Foundation website.

      "This is a transitional period for the Cuban people. We are going to stand with them for the proposition that there should not simply be the return from -- the end of one dictatorship and the imposition of another dictatorship. And we are working with partners in the international community to send that message very strongly. But our role will be to help the Cuban people when the time comes to have a peaceful and stable democratic transition."
      August 6, 2006

      "It is because Americans believe that liberty and freedom and the right to live in human dignity are not America's gifts but gifts from the Creator that we place so much emphasis and so much effort on the promotion of democracy around the world. And we will not rest until this hemisphere is the best example of a hemisphere united in freedom and democracy. We cannot do that until there is a free Cuba."
      July 28, 2005

      "To this day, Cuba continues to demonstrate a universal political truth: abandoning the rule of law for the whim of rulers only leads to the oppression of innocent people."
      April 27, 2005

      "We would start to try to improve U.S.-Cuban relations if they would just start to move on a democratic path, have parliamentary elections that were free and fair. And Castro responded to that by cracking down again on dissidents."
      March 26, 2005

      "Today, when democratic members of the OAS meet, there is only one open seat at the table, and that seat will someday belong to a free and democratic Cuba."
      May 3, 2005

      On Being a Republican
      "I found a party that sees me as an individual, not as part of a group... In America, with education and hard work, it really does not matter where you come from - it matters where you are going."

      Affirmative Action
      At Stanford, Dr. Rice would -- in a move to achieve faculty diversity -- consider race as A factor in initially hiring new faculty, but not in evaluating job performance, or granting the coveted status of tenured faculty -- with higher pay and job security.  In a nutshell, race might help get you hired at Dr. Rice's Stanford, but it wouldn't substitute for job performance when making decisions for advancement, or in some cases, prevent you from losing your job if budgetary, or other considerations required it.  In fact, after firing a popular administrator, the highest ranking Chicana at the time, Dr. Rice stood up to campus protests that included Jesse Jackson. Some students even went on an ineffectual hunger strike about which Dr. Rice commented that she was not concerned, "I'm not the one who's not eating. ''

      Dr. Rice's position on affirmative action is also clearly illustrated by a 2003 statement related to a court case involving admissions policies at the University of Michigan.  The following statement was posted on the White House website.

      "When the President decided to submit an amicus brief, he asked for my view on how diversity can be best achieved on university campuses. I offered my view, drawing on my experience in academia and as provost of a major university. I agree with the President's position, which emphasizes the need for diversity and recognizes the continued legacy of racial prejudice, and the need to fight it. The President challenged universities to develop ways to diversify their populations fully. I believe that while race neutral means are preferable, it is appropriate to use race as one factor among others in achieving a diverse student body."

      "It is important to take race into consideration if you must, if race-neutral means do not work,"  (Emphasis ours.)

      Notice the "if's" in these statements.  In a perfect world, race-neutral means would be the standard and race would NEVER be a factor.  Unfortunately, we have not reached "perfect," yet.  Therefore, we summarize Dr. Rice's position on Affirmative Action as: Race-neutral wherever possible, Affirmative Action only if necessary.  For someone with Dr. Rice's personal experience on the receiving end of discrimination, segregation and racism this is certainly a reasonable position and one with which most Americans can agree.  As a child, she had a friend killed in a church bombing; and, due to segregation, she did not attend school with white children until she was ten.

      Education
      "....the one thing that I would say to you as future leaders is unless this is a hemisphere in which people have hope and optimism, then nothing else matters.  And hope and optimism comes from believing that you can control your future and controlling your future believes that -- means -- comes from having the tools.   Focus on education."
      Remarks at the Espacio USA Conference, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, DC, May 5, 2006.  (transcript)

      "Some people believe the arts should be the first things that are cut out of school budgets and I believe very strongly that the arts are wonderful things for children. And so if there's one area that I want to encourage people in school districts to work on, it's to keep funding the arts. I know that when I was growing up, particularly in the African American community, we had great bands. You know, the high school had great bands, the colleges had great bands. And I asked myself, when are these kids going to learn to play instruments that might get them diplomas, that might give them careers. So that's something I spend a lot of time on."
      Interview With Juan Williams of National Public Radio Secretary Condoleezza Rice En Route Palo Alto, California May 26, 2005. (transcript)

      Energy and Environment
      …addressing climate change requires a sustained effort by all nations over many generations. Developing and bringing to the marketplace transformational energy technologies will be key. To this end, the United States has launched five important multilateral partnerships:
      1. The International Methane to Markets Partnership;
      2. The International Partnership for a Hydrogen Economy:
      3. The Carbon Sequestration Leadership Forum;
      4. The Generation IV International Forum; and,
      5. The Global Earth Observation initiative.
      Testimony before the International Relations Committee, 109th Congress, February 17, 2005

      "We should be committed to developing cleaner and more secure sources of energy. This is essential for powering our nation's economy and for preserving our environment."
      Asia-Pacific Partnership On Clean Development & Climate, Washington, Feb., 9 2006. (transcript)

      "Growing economies need energy that is clean and protects the environment but also permits growth."
      Interview by Amitabha Chakrabarti of Doordarshan Television, July 15, 2005. (transcript)

      "Only democratic governments truly deliver on the popular desire for a clean environment."
      Council of Americas Annual Meeting, May 3, 2005. (transcript)

      "We [in the international community] need to pool our thinking, our technologies, and our ability to come up with reliable energy supplies--energy supplies that are hopefully environmentally friendly."
      Interview with Hamid Mir of GEO TV, March 17, 2005. (transcript)
      "...if anything has surprised me as Secretary of State, it is the degree to which the kind of search for hydrocarbons is distorting international politics. That means that the quicker we get about the business of reducing our reliance on oil, the better we're going to be."
      Interview on ABC This Week With George Stephanopoulos, April 30, 2006. (transcript)

      Immigration
      "It's not enough to just have immigration reform. When you're in America, you also have to be able to have the ability to access what is great about America. And what is great about America is that if you work hard and you have the tools, you can go as far as you want to go and that means you have to be educated, that means you have to speak the language."
      Remarks at the Espacio USA Conference, Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, DC, May 5, 2006. (transcript)

      The following was taken from "Secure Borders and Open Doors," January 17, 2006.  (Link)

      "I am committed to border security and to protecting our nation and I will make the necessary tough decisions to do so."

      "We must seek to use new information technology to renew America's welcome, making it as easy as possible for foreign visitors to travel to the United States and to do so securely and safely."

      "We must seek to create travel documents for the 21st century that can protect personal identity and expedite secure travel."
      "We must conduct smarter screening in every place that we encounter travelers, whether at a consulate abroad or at a port of entry into the United States."

      "It can't just be the case that to immigrate illegally is somehow considered proper.  It isn't."
      Remarks to Edward R. Murrow Journalism Program participants, April 21, 2006.

      Faith
      "My faith is a part of everything that I do. It's not something that I can set outside of anything that I do, because it's so integral to who I am." "And prayer is very important to me and a belief that if you ask for it, you will be guided. Now, that doesn't mean that I think that God will tell me what to do on, you know, the Iran nuclear problem.  That's not how I see it. But I do believe very strongly that if you are a prayerful and faithful person, that that is a help in guiding us, as imperfect beings, to have to deal with extremely difficult and consequential matters."
      Interview With Washington Times Editorial Board, March 11, 2005.  (transcript)

      Foreign Policy
      "Foreign policy is ultimately about security -- about defending our people, our society and our values, such as freedom, tolerance, openness and diversity."

      "We do need to remind everybody that tyrants don't respond to any kind of appeasement. Tyrants don't respond to negotiation. Tyrants respond to toughness. And that was true in the 1930s and 1940s when we failed to respond to tyranny, and it is true today."
      February, 2003

      Free Trade
      "We will eliminate all tariffs and subsidies that distort free trade -- as other nations do the same."
      September 17, 2005

      "Free trade is the key and our vision remains a free trade area of the Americas; the union of 800 million men and women from Northern Canada to Southern Chile, in the world's largest free trade community. "
      36th Annual Washington Conference of the Council of the Americas, May, 3, 2006

      "The United States believes very strongly in free and fair trade."
      Interview with WTOV-NBC Channel 9 Scott MacFarlane, May 3, 2006
      Health Care
      "I believe very strongly in investing in the people's health care. But we also believe in giving people the freedom to have their own lives and to really take the challenge of their own lives onboard. And so it shouldn't be. . . paternalistic [in] which people are [just] given health care. Governments need to be accountable to give people opportunity, to give people access. And those are the efforts at health care that always worked best.
      Interview with Juan Carlos Lopez, CNN Español, Fort Lauderdale, June 6, 2005 (transcript)

      "....what clearly had changed (about HIV/AIDS) was the ability to prolong life through anti-retrovirals. And the question came up, 'But if you cannot cure, should you try and prolong life?' And it really struck at my heart because when I was 15 my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer, but because of treatment she lived until I was 30. What a difference to have my mother that 15 years, to see me graduate high school and go to college and become a university professor. And so I said, 'Yes, the prolongation of life matters.' That maybe a mother or a father who might not have seen that child grow up will at least see that child grow up."
      U.S. Global Leadership Campaign’s 10th Anniversary Gala Dinner, Washington, DC, Nov. 8, 2005.  (transcript)

      Human Rights
      "The duty to defend human rights and to help spread democracies' blessings is especially great for the United States and other free nations."
      Briefing on the State Department's 2005 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices, March 8, 2006. (transcript)
      Middle East
      "For 60 years, my country, the United States, pursued stability at the expense of democracy in this region here in the Middle East -- and we achieved neither.  Now, we are taking a different course. We are supporting the democratic aspirations of all people."
      June 20, 2005

      "Peace must be nurtured by many hands if it is to flourish."
      London Conference on Palestine, March 1, 2005.

      "The Israeli people deserve a secure and peaceful future, free from the threat of terror and violence. The United States’ commitment to Israel and to its security remains strong."
      June 19, 2005

      For the United States, Rice contends, Israel is no less than "a moral commitment."
      "I've told you I'm a Realpolitiker, but this one is different."
      National Review, Article by Jay Nordlinger, August 30, 1999

      "Hamas is a terrorist group and it has to be disbanded."
      September 30, 2005, Princeton University

      "If we abandon the Iraqi people, we will show reformers across the region that America cannot be trusted to keep its word. We will embolden the enemies of democratic reform. We will leave the makings of a failed state in Iraq like Afghanistan in the 1990s and it could become a base of operation for terrorists yet again. And we should not assume for one minute that those terrorists will not come after us with renewed determination."
      April 19, 2006, Chicago Council on Foreign Relations, (transcript)

      National Defense
      "Protecting America from weapons of mass destruction requires more than deterrence and arms control treaties. We must also go on the offensive against outlaw scientists, black market arms dealers and rogue state proliferators."
      July 29, 2005

      I met some young sailors from the Naval Station, Great Lakes. They greeted me there at the airport. These young men and women arrived in northern Illinois as patriots. Soon, they're going to say goodbye to their families and join thousands of Americans like them who are protecting our nation across the globe. And ladies and gentlemen, these men and women are more than patriots. They are heroes. And America owes them and all of our young men and women in uniform an enormous debt of gratitude.
      April 19, 2006, Chicago, (transcript)

      Second Amendment
      "I also don't think we get to pick and choose in the Constitution. The Second Amendment is as important as the First Amendment."
      May 11, 2005

      "My father and his friends defended our community in 1962 and 1963 against white nightriders by going to the head of the community, the head of the cul-de-sac, and sitting there armed. And so I'm very concerned about any abridgement of the Second Amendment."
      May 11, 2005

      "I am a Second Amendment absolutist."
      Summer, 1999

      Taxes
      "We must keep taxation low. . . Citizens deserve [that which] is worthy of their hard-earned tax dollars."
      Remarks at Eurasian National University, Astana, Kazakhstan, October 13, 2005.  (transcript)

      "Tax payers' dollars have to be well spent. . . We owe the American taxpayers an accounting for the fact that its tax dollars are being used well."
      Press Briefing, Washington, DC, Sept. 9, 2005 (transcript)

      "[There must] be fair tax laws [or] you're not going to have [productive] entrepreneurship."
      Interview With Chris Matthews of MSNBC's Hardball, June 13, 2005.  (transcript)

      Terrorism
      "Securing America from terrorist attack is more than a matter of law enforcement. We must also confront the ideology of hatred in foreign societies by supporting the universal hope of liberty and the inherent appeal of democracy."
      July 29, 2005

      "We will defend the peace by opposing and preventing violence by terrorists and outlaw regimes."

      "I am never going to underestimate al-Qaida, never."
      March 11, 2005

      Well maybe we will get a proper manifesto out of Condi if and when we draft her to a candidacy for the presidency.

      - Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      "Ryan Gray," <ryanpatgray@...> wrote:
      I am a great admirer of Dr. Rice and I agree with her on those issues I
      have heard her speak about. I would certainly support her over any of
      the pro-surrender candidates who have announced they will run in 2008.
      I do have a question however, there are many issues I have NOT heard
      her speak about. What are her views on taxes? What are her views on the
      2nd Amendment? What are her views on the minimum wage? I simply do not
      know. Could someone on this list please point me toward some resources
      where I could learn more about her views on these and other issues?

      Thank you,

      Ryan

    • Ryan Gray
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
        Thank you, now I am more certain than ever I want her
        to get the Republican nomination - and win the general
        election.

        Great work,

        Ryan

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail
      • rjcondistor85
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2007
          Welcome to the group who gives the hardest working woman in the
          business the respect she deserves, and for more appreciation, why
          don't you take a stroll through the photos section; I
          recommend, "For the Love of Rice". Have fun and keep pushing for our
          dear secretary of state.

          Thank you

          rjcondistor85
          --- In rice-for-president@yahoogroups.com, Ryan Gray