Re: [rice-for-president] Re: Congress: Major Tammy Duckworth - Blackhawk down, still fighting! (was US Politics)

  • Bob Wilson
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 1, 2006
      Peter;

      Pelosi has too much of an ego to drop out.  But it would be so nice if she did.  I agree with the impeachment part.  If the Dem's try that, they would be only hurting themselves.  Bush has done nothing wrong.  The only reason Clinton got impeached, was that he did not tell the truth, in front of the American people.

      Although, I repsect Duckworth for her serve to the nation.  What is her command background?  Was she a CO of a unit, command or staff?  What is her background with working with other service groups?  DId she go to the War College?

      The services has not forgotten what the dems try to do in 2004 and 2000 election.  What is that you say?  They tried to get all their votes removed, because of some reason or another.

      Bob

      Peter Dow <peterdow@...> wrote:
      Bob,

      Well I reckon Pelosi as the minority leader would normally be the front-runner but she's blown it by putting impeachment of the President on & off the table.

      She drops out and that opens up the field.

      Now this is war time Bob. So as Speaker you need someone with war time experience. Some who knows how to lead. 3rd in line to the Presidency remember.

      10 plus years in congress doesn't make a war-time leader. How long was Foley there for? Would 10 more years have helped him get Speaker. No.

      No, the democrats are going to need to put someone in that the nation can have confidence in.

      I only know that I'd back Duckworth for Speaker but I can't really name any other Democrat.

      We don't get to see the House representatives as much as the Senate. I can name Democrat Senators like Kerry, Boxer, Obama.

      But the House Democrats haven't featured over here much - I'd never heard of Pelosi until this week.

      Hey it might never happen. The Dems might lose.

      As for Art 32 - I guess that's what I'd fall foul of on day one if I was an enlisted American soldier/airman/ marine.

      Over here there are Queen's regulations - which I could never agree to being a republican.

      - Peter

      Bob Wilson <yoemanbob@yahoo. com> wrote:
      Peter;

      It would take Tammy 10 years to even come close to being Speaker.  As a freshman congresswomen, she would get all the low end assignments.  Although, she might get something in defense.

      But ounce a Dem always a Dem.  And thanks for having an open mine, that means a lot in my book.

      Bob

      Eric;

      I agree with you, I do not have the time nor the desire to list everything in this article which goes against the UMCJ and what the military stays for.  You have to ask yourself, did she feel this way before going over there.  Or is this some policital statement to help get elected.  One can respect the individual and rank.  But if any officer or enlisted made this statement while on active duty would be looking at an Art 32.

      Bob

      .

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 1, 2006
        Eric,

        Winner takes all?

        So not one penny of federal money

        (1) (now) goes to districts with Democrat representatives?

        (2) (if the Democrats win) would go to districts with Republican representatives?

        Come on Eric. That sort of stupid meanness - everything to the winning party, nothing to the losing party, would prokove tax-payer revolts etc.

        I guess it would also be against the law and the constitution too.

        Look I'm not an expert on the American domestic politics - but I can't believe that Americans would be so daft to invent a winner-takes-all system.

        No I think the truth is that Tammy's district would get its fair share however she voted on the war on terror.

        - Peter Dow,
        Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

        Eric and Kathy Craft <thecrafts@...> wrote:
        On 10/31/06, Peter Dow <peterdow@talk21. com> wrote:

        > A Democrat majority might work out OK for the war on terror. Maybe.
        >
        > IF enough Democrats are like Tammy Duckworth and are not "cut and run" types - then they can combine with Republicans to form a majority against "cut and run".

        If Duckworth wants a penny of federal money from the government for
        her district, she would have to walk lockstep with a Democrat majority
        Congress. That would mean a surrender in the war against Islamic
        Fascism. That's politics.

        Eric...

      • Eric and Kathy Craft
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 1, 2006
          Hi Peter,

          > Winner takes all?

          No, it is not "winner takes all". It is a means that a party uses to
          control it's own Representatives.

          > So not one penny of federal money

          If her party holds the majority and she goes against her party's line,
          none of her projects will make it out of any committee. There will be
          no pork for her district.

          > No I think the truth is that Tammy's district would get its fair share however she voted on the war on terror.

          You have a bit of a glossy view of American politics. US politics is
          hardball and cut throught. There is nothing nice and little fair
          about it. For the most part, politicians here follow their party line
          or they get crushed by their own party in their next primary election.
          Ugly, but true.

          Eric...
        • Bob Wilson
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 1, 2006
            Peter;

            I can't believe I have been adding so much input into this site.  But, Eric is right.  The party in control, controls the budget.  Until we get a line item veto, even the President has no control of the budget.

            Bob

            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 2, 2006
              Peter;

              Now I understand were you are coming from.  The BBC article