Should Condi invite Bill Gates to be one of her new deputies?

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 27, 2006
      Wow! I was doing a web search trying to find any exisiting links between Condi and Bill Gates - of Microsoft and the billionaire philanthropist - you know the guy!

      Bill Gates holds a child on a trip to Mozambique in 2003
      That's him.

      And here's his Gates Foundation website -

      And here's my thanks to him on behalf of the people of Scotland (not that I am elected to speak for the Scots or anything but never mind that just now)

      "Leadership" is indeed the correct word to describe the charity - loads of money and organisational competence too - of Bill and Melinda Gates - now backed too by fellow billionaire philanthropist Warren Buffet.

      BBC: Bill Gates: billionaire philanthropist ___ BBC: Buffett donates $37bn to charity

      The Bill & Medinda Gates Foundation website

      Quite frankly this sort of good work goes a long way to establishing the moral authority of SOME of the richest and most powerful people in the world.

      I'm impressed, heartened and hopeful for the future.

      Thank you Bill, Medinda & Warren. From the people of Scotland, thank you for your kindness and great generosity.

      Thank you and bless you.

      Peter Dow, Scottish National Standard Bearer

      Anyway back to Condi and her website - the U.S. Department of State website - look at this question which I found there in a daily press briefing from just one week ago -

      QUESTION: Following the resignation of Deputy Secretary Zoellick -- who'll be, of course, here about another month -- would the Administration consider putting in place, for instance, Bill Gates of Microsoft who's been doing much of the work already in Africa or someone of stature?

      And that absolutely fits in with my hope that Condi would get in a "big-hitter" as I put it - "someone of stature" as the press guy put it.

      Now Bill Gates is a HUGELY busy guy but Condi could not possibly go wrong by at least offering him a job - and he could one of Condi's deputies even in an honorary capacity - so that he could still work on with Microsoft and the Bill & Melinda Gate Foundation.

      Bill Gates is such an asset - to computing, to America and to charity - that Condistas must put him down on our list of guys to recruit to Rice for President, Team Condi or some such. And where better for him to be introduced to the idea of President Rice than as one of Condi's deputies in the US Department of State?

      It might be good for Condi to have 2 deputies though - one for stuff like Bill Gates is doing - relief for the poor of the world etc, - and another deputy for doing tough stuff like dealing with Iraq and North Korea and all that rough stuff where there are bad guys who need taking out.

      Bill Gates is great but I don't know if he is quite the warrior that Condi is when she sees a need to hit the bad guys hard.

      Still it was a great question to ask - thanks press guy!

      Peter Dow,
      Owner Rice for President Yahoo Group

    • Bob Wilson

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006

          Bob,

          Well I wondered what Bill Gates's PARTY politics might be so I did a search and found articles like this -

          http://www.highbeam.com/library/docFree.asp?DOCID=1G1:53662235

          Which say that he has a history of supporting democratic and liberal causes. Now that rules him IN as a Condi supporter. Why?

          Have you checked out the link in this group's Links section yet - the one that is listed under -

          Liberal Democracy speech at Blackburn, England. BBC VIDEO
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4865344.stm

          That is Condi supporting liberal democracy. Confused? Don't be - it is quite simple really.

          The Republicans (with a big "R") are democrats (with a small "d").

          The Democrats (with a big "D") are republicans (with a small "r").

          In other words both parties support the principles of liberal democracy.

          Now I know that there is a lot of name calling about "liberals" on radio talk shows and things. Now a lot of that is based on ignorance of what the word "liberal" actually means.

          If you like the Statue of Liberty and the liberty - the freedom - the free country - the free society - the liberal society - for which the Statue stands - then you are a liberal in that sense.

          Some talk shows are stirring up a lot of distrust and fear, for no good reason. Let's deal with the issues one by one and stop the name-calling.

          Bill Gates is a great American, and a great human being. The whole world admires him for what he is doing - and admires America for helping him.

          If Condi can bring Bill Gates in officially on Team America - that is good for everyone - all Americans - Republicans and Democrats alike.

          Maybe though having Bill Gates on her team would be so good for Condi and her chances of being President one day - that you might find that actually Hillary Clinton and those who support Hillary for President would be disadvantaged in their hope for another President Clinton - so they might therefore be AGAINST Bill Gates joining up with Condi at the US State Department! 8-|

          I don't know though. It depends if Hillary and company want to put the interests of America first or not. But anyway - never mind them - Condi should bring Bill Gates in if he has the time  because it is the right thing to do.

          It's always more complicated than some of the radio talk shows want to make out.

          --- In rice-for-president@yahoogroups.com, Bob Wilson <yoemanbob@...> wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > It might be good for Condi to have 2 deputies though - one for stuff like Bill Gates is doing - relief for the poor of the world etc, - and another deputy for doing tough stuff like dealing with Iraq and North Korea and all that rough stuff where there are bad guys who need taking out.
          >
          > Bill Gates is great but I don't know if he is quite the warrior that Condi is when she sees a need to hit the bad guys hard.
          >
          > Still it was a great question to ask - thanks press guy!
          >
          > Peter Dow,
          > Owner Rice for President Yahoo Group
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > Yahoo! Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and 30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

        • Eric and Kathy Craft
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
            Hi Peter,

            Though Bill Gates is into philanthropy big time, his politics would prevent him from working with Condi in any way that could potentially help Dr. Rice's career.  It's a shame because in one aspect, Bill Gates would make a good Republican.  That is the aspect that if you want something done right, don't wait for government to do it.  Do it yourself.  Sadly, Bill Gates is more likely to back morons like Al Gore, John Kerry or Hillary Clinton, than any Republican no matter how good they are.

            Bill Gates' public stand in favor of the death tax is also the kiss of death for any Republican politician that would dare to share a stage with him.  No Republican can come close to a win in the primaries if there is even a hint that they may support a death tax.

            Peter,  You seem to have a Utopian view of what American politics should be.  Unfortunately no matter how badly that you want these views to be true and how strongly that you feel about them, it does not and will not make your view of American politics a reality.  No matter how much that you want it to be so, in the American politics of the reality of the here and now, the word democratic at least in the terms of the American Democratic Party (DNC) http://www.democrats.org/ has little or nothing to do with democracy, no matter how much that you believe it or want it to be so.  The same can be said of your description of liberals in the reality of the here and now.  No matter how much you want them to have something to do with liberty, they do not have the first thing to do with liberty.  Please try to understand that Condi is a Conservative Republican http://www.rnc.org/ in the reality of the here and now.  A Liberal Democrat would never support her candidacy for President of the United States.

            The level of outright hatred among Liberal Democrats in American politics for all who are not part of their Marxist cause will not permit them to support any candidate who believes in personal freedom of any sort.  Contrary to the reality of the true nature of our politicians and their causes, you are projecting what you want their nature to be on to them and acting like it is reality.  To make any sense at all to American voters, please try to understand the realities and true nature of our politics.  Our politics are what they are, not what you so desperately want them to be.

            For a reality check, go to any US based Liberal Democrat message board and tell them that you believe that Condi represents Liberal Democratic values and then do the same at a US based Conservative Republican site.  If you do that, you will get a crash coarse in the reality of American politics.

            If Condi is elected president, the world will not all of a sudden become birds singing and butterflies fluttering.  There will still be evil bastards trying to kill us and we will still be doing everything in our power to kill them first.

            Eric...

            Peter Dow wrote:

            Bob,

            Well I wondered what Bill Gates's PARTY politics might be so I did a search and found articles like this -

            http://www.highbeam.com/library/docFree.asp?DOCID=1G1:53662235

            Which say that he has a history of supporting democratic and liberal causes. Now that rules him IN as a Condi supporter.

          • C.D.Hoit
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 28, 2006
              Right on Eric and Kathy........

              Unless you are in the middle of it, it IS hard for folks to understand the meanings. You have stated them very succinctly. Thanks

              Davyd

              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 29, 2006
                Bob I had forgotten about Gates, and of course there is the small tid bit that the previous Democrat White House almost brought Microsoft down. A Republican White house in 2000 ended the case against Microsoft, how Ironic.

                Lets not forget that Warren Buffet also has Democrat attachment, and has made constant predictions over the last few years of a US economy crash. This has somewhat tarnished his image as an economic guru.

                Angelo Zenga

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 2, 2006
                  Hi Eric,

                  Look I think Condi and Bill Gates could work together or share a stage, now and then or even regularly, on some State department issues without there being a hint that they therefore agree on absolutely everything.

                  Condi can think for herself and come to her own view on death taxes or any other matter when appropriate.

                  Condi’s politics didn’t stop her being Secretary of State, they wouldn’t change just because she chose to work with Bill Gates and I don’t believe her politics would stop her becoming President either – quite the contrary in fact.

                  People don’t have to agree on EVERYTHING to be able to work together.

                  I mean you and I Eric share this Rice for President Yahoo Group (a stage of a sort) yet we no doubt disagree on loads of things some of which don’t matter for the purposes of Rice for President.

                  You have your views, I have mine, but since we both want Rice for President, we can share this stage, this Yahoo group, and discuss where we agree or disagree as is relevant to the task in hand.

                  Is it not part the skill of being a president to reach out to find compromise and ways of working together even where people disagree vehemently on some issues?

                  I think it is and therefore I believe Condi could easily work with Bill Gates if that was to advantage of the work of the State department.

                  I’m just going to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear Eric to your comments about “morons” and “Marxists” because such comments are so wide of the mark that I do not wish to dignify them with a detailed response.

                  I’m not utopian except in the sense that I am aiming high and only settling for the best achievable. Reaching for the stars but with my feet on the ground, so to speak.

                  The difference between us - is that I look for the interpretation first whereby people mean what they say - but you Eric seem to be insisting that some Americans do not mean what they say - particularly when those Americans are in the Democratic Party.

                  Well I am too far away just to accept such a partisan view. Maybe if I was an American, I’d know better - but I don’t.

                  On the global stage, Condi is right to share a stage with all sorts of people - the world is a big and varied place - yet most of us in the world can come together to win the war on terrorism.

                  Likewise, Bill Gates is helping to cure diseases etc. in the developing world without requiring those he is helping to agree with him in every respect.

                  I just believe that the two of them – Condi and Bill - could work together well, for the good of America and for all mankind.

                  That possible collaboration would be fully consistent with the America I know and love.