1717Condi visits the Church of the Nativity, Bethlehem (Was: MUSIC VIDEO - The birth of the Draft Condi movement. The Nativity Story.)

    Oct 27, 2007
      Condi at the Church of the Nativity:
      NEWS VIDEO  Rice visits Church of Nativity  http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/ver/247.1/popup/index.php?cl=4564976
      U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, center, is seen during her visit to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2007. Rice, a devout Christian, visited Jesus' traditional birthplace Wednesday in a symbolic bid to urge Israel and the Palestinians to move quickly to resume formal peace negotiations. Rice has been meeting with Israeli, Palestinian and Egyptian leaders this week as part of
preparations for a U.S.-hosted peace conference in November or December.

      Condoleezza Rice prays for Mideast peace at Jesus birthplace

      U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, center, is seen during her visit to the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem, Wednesday, Oct. 17, 2007. Rice, a devout Christian, visited Jesus' traditional birthplace Wednesday in a symbolic bid to urge Israel and the Palestinians to move quickly to resume formal peace negotiations. Rice has been meeting with Israeli, Palestinian and Egyptian leaders this week as part of preparations for a U.S.-hosted peace conference in November or December.
      (AP Images / Oleg Popov)

      CHRISTIAN TODAY

      Condoleezza Rice prays for Mideast peace at Jesus birthplace

      U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice lit a candle and prayed for peace in the Holy Land on Wednesday when she stopped at the grotto where Christians believe Jesus Christ was born.

      by Ethan Cole, Christian Today US Correspondent

      U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice lit a candle and prayed for peace in the Holy Land on Wednesday when she stopped at the grotto where Christians believe Jesus Christ was born.
      Bethlehem was one of several stops Rice made during her visit to the West Bank and Israel ahead of the U.S.-sponsored Middle East conference later this year. Her visit was meant to show citizens in the Holy Land that the United States is serious about bringing peace to the divided region.

      “Being here at the birthplace of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, has been a very special and moving experience,” said Rice, the daughter and granddaughter of Presbyterian ministers, after the tour, according to The Associated Press.

      “It is also, I think, a personal reminder that the prince of peace is still with us.”

      She highlighted that the three largest monotheistic religions of the Holy Land – Judaism, Christianity and Islam – have the opportunity to “overcome differences, to put aside grievances, to make religion a power of healing and a power of reconciliation, rather than a power of divisions.”

      While in the West Bank, Rice heard from community leaders about the difficulties they face living under Israeli occupation. Among the grievances is protest over the cement wall blocking Palestinians from entering Jerusalem. Permits to cross the wall are hard to obtain.

      “We talked to her and said ‘you came to a city to which you crossed many miles and crossed checkpoints and crossed the barrier and saw in Bethlehem how the barrier is suffocating the holy city,’” recalled Issa Qaraqa, a Palestinian lawmaker from Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah party, according to AP.

      In addition to asserting that the barrier severely restricts Palestinians who live nearby, opponents of the wall say it violates international law and that it is an illegal attempt to annex Palestinian land under the guise of security.

      “I hope that Rice has understood by her visit in Bethlehem the situation on the ground in a new light," Qaraqa stated.
      Despite protests, Israel and its supporters have repeatedly defended the wall, arguing that it stops Palestinian suicide bombers and keeps Israel safe.

      But while the United States has stood as a friend and partner of Israel since its independence in 1948, Christians here are becoming increasingly divided over the Israeli-Palestinian claims to their disputed lands.

      Some Christian Zionists believe that Israel should by no means ever have to concede land to Palestinians, arguing that there was never a Palestinian state. Others are in favor of a two-state solution including the 34 prominent evangelical leaders who signed a letter to U.S. President George W. Bush in favour forming a Palestinian state.

      “Historical honesty compels us to recognize that both Israelis and Palestinians have legitimate rights stretching back for millennia to the lands of Israel/Palestine,” the letter read.
      Signers included, among others, Richard Mouw, president of Fuller Theological Seminary; David Neff, editor of Christianity Today; and Richard Stearns, president of World Vision.
      While, Rice did not comment on Israel’s West Bank separation, she did note that she grew up in the segregated U.S. South where people turned away from violence when they felt they could get a fair chance in life.

      YAHOO NEWS / REUTERS

      Bethlehem visit "moving experience" for Rice

      By Arshad Mohammed Wed Oct 17, 7:30 AM ET
      BETHLEHEM, West Bank (Reuters) - Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice toured the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem on Wednesday, lit a candle and voiced hope that religion could be a force for reconciliation in the Middle East.
      "Being here, at the birthplace of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, has been a very special and moving experience," Rice, the daughter and granddaughter of Christian clergymen, told reporters after visiting the church.

      Her visit, she said, helped remind her that "these great monotheistic religions that have inhabited this land together have an opportunity to overcome differences, to put aside grievances, to make the power of religion a power of healing, a power of reconciliation, rather than a power of division."

      Residents of Bethlehem, in the occupied West Bank just down the road from Jerusalem, looked on with seeming indifference as Rice's motorcade swept into the city with sirens blaring.

      "Peace Be With You," read an Israeli Tourism Ministry sign on a high concrete wall Israel has constructed near the entrance to the city of Jesus' birth, a barrier that Palestinians consider a hated symbol of Israeli occupation.

      With the smell of incense wafting through the air, Rice, who has described herself as deeply religious, visited the grotto revered as the birthplace of Jesus and lit a candle as a priest chanted nearby.

      Rice came to the region on Sunday to try to bridge gaps between the Palestinians and Israel over parameters for a Middle East conference expected to be held in Annapolis, Maryland, in November or December.
      Tourism, the lifeblood of Bethlehem's economy, has dried up over the past seven years of Israeli-Palestinian violence.

      Rice then met Palestinian civic leaders, business people and academics for a discussion at a Bethlehem hotel in which aides said she hoped to convey to ordinary Palestinians how serious Washington is about achieving peace and to hear their views.

      BARRIER

      The average number of visitors to Bethlehem has plunged to as low as 20,000 a month from about 100,000 before the Palestinian uprising began in 2000 as the last major U.S. peace effort collapsed. Unemployment is estimated at 65 percent.

      More than 3,000 Christians, about 10 percent of the community in Bethlehem, have left the city since 2000, according to United Nations statistics.

      Israel has defended the construction of the wall at Bethlehem's entrance and a barrier snaking through the West Bank as a way to prevent Palestinian suicide bombings.

      The World Court has called the project illegal because it is being built on occupied land.

      After her visit to Bethlehem, Rice traveled to the West Bank city of Ramallah for further talks with Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, whom she last met on Monday.
      Rice also planned to meet Israeli Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni later and have dinner with Prime Minister Ehud Olmert.
      She has been trying to help Israeli and Palestinian leaders agree on a common document that would serve as the basis for the international meeting to be held later this year, and that U.S. officials hope could lead to formal peace negotiations.

      Photo
      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (R) ducks as she walks through the Door of Humility during her visit to the Church of Nativity in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, October 17, 2007. (David Furst/Pool/Reuters)

      Photo
      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice speaks to the media after her visit to the Church of Nativity in the West Bank city of Bethlehem October 17, 2007. (Oleg Popov/Reuters)

      Photo
      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (L) stands with Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem Theofilos III (R) during her visit to the Church of Nativity in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, October 17, 2007. (Kevin Frayer/Pool/Reuters)

      Photo
      US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (C) stands with Palestinian Tourism and Women's Affairs Minister Khulud Duaibees (2ndL) and Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem Theofilos III (2ndR) in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem. Rice wound up a Middle East tour on Thursday saying there was a "moment of opportunity" for peace but warning that much work was still needed to be done(AFP/POOL/Oleg Popov)

      Photo
      Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (C) speaks to the media after her visit to the Church of Nativity in the West Bank city of Bethlehem, October 17, 2007. (Oleg Popov/Reuters)

      Peter Dow adds -

      Jesus would say to us, would he not -

       "RICE FOR PRESIDENT! My Kingdom is not of this earth but Condi's 'Kingdom' (or 'Republic', which is a modernised form of a Kingdom) IS INDEED of this earth, as is the USA!"

      Now, the USA is supposed to be a mainly Christian country, so come on guys, listen to what your saviour is telling you about this.

      Let us not leave the American 'Kingdom' in the hands of no-hopers like Giuliani.  Put your faith is Jesus's most important modern successor - the Messiah 2 - Condoleezza Rice.

      Now why do I  dare to guess what Jesus would say to us?

      Well I am certainly not a messiah but maybe I am the closest thing Condi has to her John the Baptist on the internet in 2007 - not that I am a baptist or anything but I perhaps I am trying to herald Condi as the messiah in much the same way as John the Baptist heralded Jesus as the messiah, did he not?

      All messiahs need a "John the Baptist" type supporter or two.

      Or something.

      All this talk of Baptists reminded me of Condi address to the Southern Baptists in 2006, and so I've also updated this group link to my music video on YouTube a based on that speech -

      America likes to be with Condi - MUSIC VIDEO (Hosted on YouTube)
      A music video celebrating what I would say was THE political highlight of 2006. Condoleezza Rice's speech to the Southern Baptists Convention, June 14, 2006. The video replays some main points in Condi's speech and the standing ovations which with the Baptists applauded Condi. The music is a cover-version of "To Be With You" by Mr. Big. Hosted on YouTube
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=jE5yKyPvF2k

      Anyway, repeat after me -

      "Our Condi,  who is on earth,
      Hallowed be thy Name.
      Thy kingdom come.
      Thy will be done,
      On earth as it is in heaven.
      Give us this day our daily bread.
      And forgive us our trespasses,
      As we forgive them that trespass against us.
      And lead us not into temptation;
      But deliver us from evil:
      For thine is the kingdom,
      The power, and the glory,
      For ever and ever.
      Amen"

      Also I've updated the group link for the below mentioned video on YouTube

      Nativity Story. The birth of the Draft Condi movement. MUSIC VIDEO (Hosted on YouTube)
      Allegory using the Christmas story. Condoleezza Rice is summoned to Washington but there is no room at the White House. The world needs a leader so the wise found Condi. The 3 wise Condistas. Nativity scene. A movement is born. The music & original images from "The Nativity Story" movie.
      http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=EcNftsPMjhA

      - Peter Dow,
      Owner, Rice for President Yahoo Group

      Peter Dow <peterdow@...> wrote:
      Ok as a bit of Christmas fun, I've retold the Christmas story in a video as a metaphor for the birth of the Draft Condimovement.
      The birth of the Draft Condi movement. The Nativity Story.

      Condoleezza Rice is summoned to Washington but there is no room at the White House. The world needs a leader so the wise found Condi. The 3 wise Condistas. Nativity scene. A movement is born. RICE for President. DraftCondi.org

      The music and the original (before photo-edit) images are from the movie "The Nativity Story".
      Ways to view the video -

      zshare -
      ******* outdated ********

      YouTube -
      ******** outdated **************

      Also I'll see if I can attach the video to this email though Yahoo groups might remove that attachment.

      Images in the video -

      Images also attached.

      Well my fellow Condistas maybe you'd like to include the video or the images as part of your Christmas email to friends and family.

      In any case,

      HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
      Or Happy Holiday Season or whatever!

      Peter Dow,