7666Re: [RI_Ancestors] Maine port

  • Sue Mullane
    Mar 26, 2014
      Not sure what Family Search has on Portland.  You can do a search by location when you get to their website-first click the Search button and then click catalog.  Put in United States, Maine, Portland and see what comes up.  They will list the microfilm available for that location.  If you have any problems you can call them for help.  You can also create an account for Free which is nice.  Sue

      On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:34 PM, "nmhattox@..." <nmhattox@...> wrote:

      Would I order these films from Family History center?
      A big Thank you is coming your way.
      Nancy
      -----Original Message-----
      From: mbriggs3 <mbriggs3@...>
      To: RI_Ancestors <RI_Ancestors@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tue, Mar 25, 2014 6:30 pm
      Subject: Re: [RI_Ancestors] Maine port

      On Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:44 PM, "nmhattox@..." <nmhattox@...> wrote:

      Does anyone know what city in Maine was an immigration port? I know my great great grandparents lived in Lewiston, Maine before moving to Pawtucket/ Lincoln area of RI. I also know they (GGgrandparents) were born in Ireland, but my ggm was born in England so they must have gone to England before coming to US. I haven't had any luck with RI records so would like to try Ships' Immigrtion list for Maine. There are an awful lot of O'Neils, O"Neills, as well as Anthony and Maria. I can only distinguish them from all the other O'Neil families when the whole family is listed together or at least with 6 out of the 8 children.

      Nancy MacKay Hattox

      Passenger Lists for Maine
      • United States. Immigration and Naturalization Service. Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Portland, Maine, 1893-1943; Index, 1893-1954. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Record Service, 1944, 1986. FHL film 1412619; passenger lists FHL films 1449398-430
      • United States. Immigration and Naturalization Service. Book Indexes, Portland, Maine Passenger Lists 1907- 1930. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Record Service, 1944. FHL films 1375989-6000 These are by arrival of ship 1907-1926, 1930.
      • United States. Bureau of Customs. Copies of Lists of Passengers Arriving at Miscellaneous Ports on the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts and at Ports of the Great Lakes, 1820-1873. National Archives Microfilm Publication. Washington, D.C.: National Archives, 1964. FHL films 830231-44 Includes incomplete 19th century passenger lists for Portland-Falmouth, 1820 to March 1868, and Passamaquoddy, 1820 to 1859

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic