Re: [rhythm bones] Signing On with A LONG ONE & Bones Fest VII Appreciation

  • Adam Klein
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hey Kim, glad you found us.

      I find bones of any kind slip until you learn to hold them in place with
      the "Spock" muscles of your fingers. (Or the "Mork" muscles) But if your
      hands sweat a lot, I suppose baby powder might help if you can't find
      fiddle rosin. I would worry about rosin if you like to change the position
      of the bones a lot to get different timbres.
      Sorry I didn't meet you at Bones Fest VII. I was working in Colorado
      playing bones, banjo and jembe in front of opera patrons (after the show).
      By the way, aside from wood ones I use rib bones, which aside from being a
      little lighter than shin bones are no less slippery unless you leave them
      in their natural state after finding a skeleton in the woods while hiking,
      probably having sat there for 20 years. I didn't. I sanded them smooth.
      As for rosin, you could probably just rub the bones right onto in if the
      rosin isn't in a wooden trough, just the way you rosin a bow. Also,
      dancers' rosin should also work. Or whatever baseball batters use.

      Adam Klein
      bonist since 1979