Amazing 5-year-old Blues & Bones Player

  • Scott Miller
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2009
      Check out this recent YouTube featuring bluesman Michael Baytop
      (vocals, harmonica, bones) with five-year-old Nicholas Spicer on bones.

      Of special interest is the two-finger grip Nicholas employs (rather
      than the traditional American one-finger "minstrel" style grip). This
      young bone player knows how to jam too, and you don't want to miss his
      marvelous solo at the end of the piece.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdLRWbCeZi8

      A thank you to blues musician and bone player Jim Lande who told me
      about the video. "For the last several years Nicholas watched his dad
      (Miles) playing with [blues group] MSG," reports Jim adding, "Nicholas
      said he wanted to play and I made three small pairs in different sizes."

      (Jim Lande is a DC area musician who appears on the Archie Edwards
      Blues Heritage Foundation CD, "Don't You Weep and Moan.") Some of you
      might recognize the name Archie Edwards who recorded "Blues 'N Bones"
      in 1989 with Richard "Mr. Bones" Thomas. Both are gone now.

      Scott Miller
      Saint Louis, Missouri

      ..