Re: Sprouting and Worcester Meeting

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
      Well, I hope everyone enjoyed my sprouter making tutorial.  I have a fresh batch of sprouts almost ready to eat!

      I was just wondering if anyone is going to try to make it on Friday.  I hope to get there around 6pm.  Once again, the location is Acoustic Java, at 932A Main Street in Worcester, MA.  Their website is http://www.acousticjava.com/.  They have food for vegetarians and meat eaters, and both coffee and tea.

    • asfblue
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
        Cool design- thanks for sharing! I attended a lecture last night on urban gardening & learned some neat techniques for square-foot container gardening & growing vine plants upside-down in hanging buckets. I'm excited to use these & begin to have a real connection and relationship with my food.
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
          That sounds wicked cool!  Would you mind sharing some of what you learned, if not at an actual meeting then maybe here?  I might live out in the country, but I always find some of the inventive ideas of urban gardening fascinating.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
            I'd love to share the ideas- it was really cool hearing options for self-sustainability in the city (to some extent, anyway... cities are obviously the epitome of reliance on faraway resources). One of my favorite moments at the lecture was, during a discussion of container gardening, this guy in the audience described how he "walks" his tomato plants- taking them outside to the sunniest part of his lawn, & bringing them in if there was danger of frost.

            So I'll post the details here soon, but I'm curious if you were still planning a Boston meet-up? There's a cool place called City Feed & Supply on Centre St in Jamaica Plain that does sandwiches & coffee drinks that might be a fun spot & they're open until 9 p.m. I like it there a lot, & I love JP in general so I'm always trying to lure people here :)

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2009
              That stuff sounds wicked cool.

              And yea, I was hoping to head up to Boston to hopefully meet some of you on Friday.  Chances are that I won't be working that night.  Is that place you mentioned easy to find for someone inexperienced in the ways of navigating Boston?

              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
                Oh, also:  What time should we meet?

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
                  I am actually not going to be in town on Friday. Obviously don't make the meeting contingent on my being able to attend, but I could definitely make it any day next week, if you wanted to wait... Otherwise maybe I can make it down to one of the seemingly more frequent Worcester meetings.
                  Also re: City Feed- it's on Centre St in Jamaica Plain, which is the main drag through town, so it's easy to find. I don't drive so I can't offer my own set of directions, though if people are interested in going there, I'm sure you could find directions online. Or if human-generated directions are preferred, I can ask my trusty car-owning roommate, who's good with those sorts of things.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2009
                    Well, since meeting in Boston is mostly to be accessible to Boston residents, and I don't particularly feel like driving up there without much of a purpose, we can easily put it off for next week.  What day is best for you?

                    .