Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [rewildnewengland] Re: Central Meeting?

Expand Messages
  • Daniel Quiray
    Okay, we ve all been much too silent lately! We seem to have two potential meet-ups in the works here: one in/around Worcester, and one in/around Boston. I
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 12, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Okay, we've all been much too silent lately!

      We seem to have two potential meet-ups in the works here: one in/around Worcester, and one in/around Boston.

      I suggest Tortilla Sam's in Worcester for the proposed centralized meeting.  I've been there a couple times and know it's not too hard to get both paleo and vegetarian food there, and it's good too.  Also, I don't think the atmosphere would suck for something like a meet-up.
       
      As for the Boston area, I don't have a clue.  My Boston knowledge is lacking, as I never really spend time there.  Amber requested somewhere close to the commuter rail.  Any ideas?  Coffee shops are usually a good call.

      I should be able to make both provided that they're on weeknights.  Maybe we can also try to have another meeting in the northern half of Rhode Island, since that's worked decently before.

      --
      Daniel N. Quiray

      Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
      Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
    • Daniel Quiray
      Hello? Is this thing on? :P I guess I ll have to suggest something more specific myself, and then see how it works for people. First, I d like to have another
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 20, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        Hello?  Is this thing on? :P

        I guess I'll have to suggest something more specific myself, and then see how it works for people.

        First, I'd like to have another meeting at Brewed Awakenings in Johnston, RI, either Wednesday the 25th or Friday the 27th.  7 or 8 PM seems good for people on most standard work schedules.  

        A week later or so, Wednesday March 4th or Friday March 6th seem like a good time to meet in Worcester, MA for people more centrally located.  Like I said, Tortilla Sam's is a good place, though I'm going to check up on some cafes and similar places conducive to hanging out.  If we can find a good place, I would like to make meetings in Worcester at least a semi-regular thing.

        And finally, to follow a similar pattern, the week after on either Wednesday March 11th or Friday March 13th, I'd like to try meeting people somewhere in Boston.  There HAVE to be some neat places in Boston, so that shouldn't be a problem.


        There are a few things I'd specifically like to plan with people soon at these meetings, aside from just general community building.  In addition to talking about important topics in rewilding (community, gift and barter economies, social structures, etc.), and perhaps going over my Rewilding 101 stuff again for those who haven't heard it, I'd like to put together some seasonal activities having to do with things like gardening.  If we could find a place a handful of us could garden together, that would be great, but if that proves unworkable for some of us I was also thinking of hosting a seedball making party to help us engage in a little 'guerrilla gardening'.  A few months from now we could also plan some foraging walks.



        --
        Daniel N. Quiray

        Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
        Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
      • Joey Lott
        I m interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based such as the foraging idea. Thanks, Joey
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          I'm interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based such as
          the foraging idea.

          Thanks,
          Joey

          On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:
          > Hello? Is this thing on? :P
          > I guess I'll have to suggest something more specific myself, and then see
          > how it works for people.
          > First, I'd like to have another meeting at Brewed Awakenings in Johnston,
          > RI, either Wednesday the 25th or Friday the 27th. 7 or 8 PM seems good for
          > people on most standard work schedules.
          > A week later or so, Wednesday March 4th or Friday March 6th seem like a good
          > time to meet in Worcester, MA for people more centrally located. Like I
          > said, Tortilla Sam's is a good place, though I'm going to check up on some
          > cafes and similar places conducive to hanging out. If we can find a good
          > place, I would like to make meetings in Worcester at least a semi-regular
          > thing.
          > And finally, to follow a similar pattern, the week after on either Wednesday
          > March 11th or Friday March 13th, I'd like to try meeting people somewhere in
          > Boston. There HAVE to be some neat places in Boston, so that shouldn't be a
          > problem.
          >
          > There are a few things I'd specifically like to plan with people soon at
          > these meetings, aside from just general community building. In addition to
          > talking about important topics in rewilding (community, gift and barter
          > economies, social structures, etc.), and perhaps going over my Rewilding 101
          > stuff again for those who haven't heard it, I'd like to put together some
          > seasonal activities having to do with things like gardening. If we could
          > find a place a handful of us could garden together, that would be great, but
          > if that proves unworkable for some of us I was also thinking of hosting a
          > seedball making party to help us engage in a little 'guerrilla gardening'.
          > A few months from now we could also plan some foraging walks.
          >
          >
          > --
          > Daniel N. Quiray
          >
          > Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
          > Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
          >
        • Daniel Quiray
          Fantastic! Would you happen to be near any of the proposed meet-ups? So far I ve only been able to put together foraging trips in RI, but I d definitely like
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            Fantastic!

            Would you happen to be near any of the proposed meet-ups?  So far I've only been able to put together foraging trips in RI, but I'd definitely like to try for some foraging elsewhere in New England.

            On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Joey Lott <joey@...> wrote:

            I'm interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based such as
            the foraging idea.

            Thanks,
            Joey





            --
            Daniel N. Quiray

            Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
            Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
          • asfblue
            Hi, I am here! Sorry I fell off the radar there for a while... I am still into meeting up. A couple ideas for a Boston location: For standard fare,
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi, I am here! Sorry I fell off the radar there for a while... I am
              still into meeting up. A couple ideas for a Boston location: For
              standard fare, Sweetwater Cafe, in downtown Boston, is a bar that has
              decent food, some big tables, & the music's never too loud, so it
              could be conducive for conversation. There's also Trident Bookstore &
              Cafe on Newbury St- nice independent bookstore w/ coffee, sandwiches &
              entrees, etc. "Alternative" alternatives: Grasshopper- a vegan Asian
              restaurant in Allston that's really good, Diesel Cafe in Somerville- a
              really cool coffee shop that has sandwiches & stuff too. I might have
              more ideas as time nears & we have a better idea of how many people
              are interestded in coming & where they're coming in from... [Any
              input, Michelle, my fellow Boston-ite? :) ] Also, Wednesday March
              11th works for me (or that Monday or Tuesday), but the 13th does not.
              Thanks~
            • Joey Lott
              I m in Vermont, which isn t particularly close to any of the mentioned locations. But assuming the timing works, I d be willing to drive for an outdoor event.
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                I'm in Vermont, which isn't particularly close to any of the mentioned
                locations. But assuming the timing works, I'd be willing to drive for
                an outdoor event.

                On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:
                >
                > Fantastic!
                >
                > Would you happen to be near any of the proposed meet-ups? So far I've only
                > been able to put together foraging trips in RI, but I'd definitely like to
                > try for some foraging elsewhere in New England.
                >
                > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Joey Lott <joey@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> I'm interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based such as
                >> the foraging idea.
                >>
                >> Thanks,
                >> Joey
                >
                >
                >
                > --
                > Daniel N. Quiray
                >
                > Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
                > Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
                >
              • fargohinge
                joey, where in vermont are you? I m just north of montpelier.. maybe we could carpool? -laura ... I ve only ... like to ... such as
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  joey, where in vermont are you? I'm just north of montpelier.. maybe
                  we could carpool?
                  -laura

                  --- In rewildnewengland@yahoogroups.com, Joey Lott <joey@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > I'm in Vermont, which isn't particularly close to any of the mentioned
                  > locations. But assuming the timing works, I'd be willing to drive for
                  > an outdoor event.
                  >
                  > On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Fantastic!
                  > >
                  > > Would you happen to be near any of the proposed meet-ups? So far
                  I've only
                  > > been able to put together foraging trips in RI, but I'd definitely
                  like to
                  > > try for some foraging elsewhere in New England.
                  > >
                  > > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Joey Lott <joey@...> wrote:
                  > >>
                  > >> I'm interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based
                  such as
                  > >> the foraging idea.
                  > >>
                  > >> Thanks,
                  > >> Joey
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > --
                  > > Daniel N. Quiray
                  > >
                  > > Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
                  > > Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
                  > >
                  >
                • Daniel Quiray
                  I hope you guys can carpool or something. Hopefully, you can get something going up in Vermont, too! (Kris and I totally want to move up there!) This
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    I hope you guys can carpool or something.  Hopefully, you can get something going up in Vermont, too! (Kris and I totally want to move up there!)

                    This Wednesday, I'll be going to Brewed Awakenings (Johnston, RI) at around 7 PM.  I hope to get some further planning of spring-time events done there, though it's just as likely to devolve into card games like last time (card games, luckily, make a very good rewilding past time).

                    Also, we scouted out a great coffee place in Worcester today.  The location is Acoustic Java on Main Street.  Hopefully, we can meet some people up there, talk a little about rewilding, and maybe make some plans.

                    I've been thinking more about the necessity of what we're trying to put together, especially considering the way things are turning.  Unless you're living under a rock (hmmm, a rock...probably not good roofing...), you know how bad the economy is and how it effects our lives.  Everything is getting more expensive, especially food.    Aside from the overarching goal I've stated I have here to build a community (or several!), I think it's becoming more immediately necessary to become more independent with regards to our food.  Foraging and horticulture are things that are going to be really helpful to us soon.  Permaculture and guerrilla gardening now can be investments in our food self-sufficiency later.  Knowing some tricks to subsistence hunting and fishing will likewise help us sustain ourselves and our families.  Even thinking from the civilized point of view, as so many of us try to have one foot in and one foot out of civilization, these things just make sense in a purely cost/gain sense.  At the very least, our wallets will thank us.



                    --
                    Daniel N. Quiray

                    Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
                    Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
                  • fargohinge
                    There s actually tons of really cool stuff going on up here... alot of interest in things generally related to rewilding, although i ll admit the trend seems
                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                    • 0 Attachment
                      There's actually tons of really cool stuff going on up here... alot of
                      interest in things generally related to rewilding, although i'll admit
                      the trend seems to be more toward permaculture. Besides Roots School,
                      which teaches primitive and earth-based living and survival skills,
                      tracking, and awareness, there is Transition Town Vermont, a gathering
                      of folks seeking to address peak oil/climate change/general absurdity
                      of the global culture by facilitating the further growth of community.
                      Also groups of people meeting implementing permaculture locally,
                      several good herbalism schools, yestermorrow design school, and i
                      could go on...even if some of it is in a more watered-down form than
                      I'd prefer, it's definitely more of a social norm up in these neck of
                      the woods..
                      I'm really excited to network outside of the immediate local
                      community, after having lived in connecticut and massachusetts
                      extensively and feeling like I was the only one involved in such
                      things, I'd love to connect with ya'll and see what you're up to!
                      I'll keep checking in for updates...
                      -Laura
                      --- In rewildnewengland@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...>
                      wrote:
                      >
                      > I hope you guys can carpool or something. Hopefully, you can get
                      something
                      > going up in Vermont, too! (Kris and I totally want to move up there!)
                      > This Wednesday, I'll be going to Brewed Awakenings (Johnston, RI) at
                      around
                      > 7 PM. I hope to get some further planning of spring-time events
                      done there,
                      > though it's just as likely to devolve into card games like last time
                      (card
                      > games, luckily, make a very good rewilding past time).
                      >
                      > Also, we scouted out a great coffee place in Worcester today. The
                      location
                      > is Acoustic Java on Main Street. Hopefully, we can meet some people up
                      > there, talk a little about rewilding, and maybe make some plans.
                      >
                      > I've been thinking more about the necessity of what we're trying to put
                      > together, especially considering the way things are turning. Unless
                      you're
                      > living under a rock (hmmm, a rock...probably not good roofing...),
                      you know
                      > how bad the economy is and how it effects our lives. Everything is
                      getting
                      > more expensive, especially food. Aside from the overarching goal I've
                      > stated I have here to build a community (or several!), I think it's
                      becoming
                      > more immediately necessary to become more independent with regards
                      to our
                      > food. Foraging and horticulture are things that are going to be really
                      > helpful to us soon. Permaculture and guerrilla gardening now can be
                      > investments in our food self-sufficiency later. Knowing some tricks to
                      > subsistence hunting and fishing will likewise help us sustain
                      ourselves and
                      > our families. Even thinking from the civilized point of view, as so
                      many of
                      > us try to have one foot in and one foot out of civilization, these
                      things
                      > just make sense in a purely cost/gain sense. At the very least, our
                      wallets
                      > will thank us.
                      >
                      >
                      >
                      > --
                      > Daniel N. Quiray
                      >
                      > Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
                      > Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
                      >
                    • Daniel Quiray
                      Great! Feel free to post any of those events up there that you think we d be interested in. Hel, I might just have to take a drive up and check some out. I
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Great!  Feel free to post any of those events up there that you think we'd be interested in.  Hel, I might just have to take a drive up and check some out.  I actually have money now, even if it isn't much at all.

                        On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:33 AM, fargohinge <fargohinge@...> wrote:

                        There's actually tons of really cool stuff going on up here... 




                        --
                        Daniel N. Quiray

                        Rewild New England - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildnewengland/
                        Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop.etsy.com
                      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.