Re: [rewildnewengland] Re: Central Meeting?

  • Michelle Durand
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 28, 2009
      Hi Amber, I'm in Boston (waves).

      On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:

      My preference would be a meeting on a weekday night, since I'm currently working the night shift Saturday and Sunday.  Any location ideas?

      On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:58 PM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:
      Well, as much as I loathe Boston in general, I'm totally up for going there to get together with people (Kris has been saying we should go to Boston sometime soon, anyway).  I'll leave it up to others to suggest a place, since my knowledge of Boston is very meager.

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 12, 2009
        Okay, we've all been much too silent lately!

        We seem to have two potential meet-ups in the works here: one in/around Worcester, and one in/around Boston.

        I suggest Tortilla Sam's in Worcester for the proposed centralized meeting.  I've been there a couple times and know it's not too hard to get both paleo and vegetarian food there, and it's good too.  Also, I don't think the atmosphere would suck for something like a meet-up.

        As for the Boston area, I don't have a clue.  My Boston knowledge is lacking, as I never really spend time there.  Amber requested somewhere close to the commuter rail.  Any ideas?  Coffee shops are usually a good call.

        I should be able to make both provided that they're on weeknights.  Maybe we can also try to have another meeting in the northern half of Rhode Island, since that's worked decently before.

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 20, 2009
          Hello?  Is this thing on? :P

          I guess I'll have to suggest something more specific myself, and then see how it works for people.

          First, I'd like to have another meeting at Brewed Awakenings in Johnston, RI, either Wednesday the 25th or Friday the 27th.  7 or 8 PM seems good for people on most standard work schedules.

          A week later or so, Wednesday March 4th or Friday March 6th seem like a good time to meet in Worcester, MA for people more centrally located.  Like I said, Tortilla Sam's is a good place, though I'm going to check up on some cafes and similar places conducive to hanging out.  If we can find a good place, I would like to make meetings in Worcester at least a semi-regular thing.

          And finally, to follow a similar pattern, the week after on either Wednesday March 11th or Friday March 13th, I'd like to try meeting people somewhere in Boston.  There HAVE to be some neat places in Boston, so that shouldn't be a problem.

          There are a few things I'd specifically like to plan with people soon at these meetings, aside from just general community building.  In addition to talking about important topics in rewilding (community, gift and barter economies, social structures, etc.), and perhaps going over my Rewilding 101 stuff again for those who haven't heard it, I'd like to put together some seasonal activities having to do with things like gardening.  If we could find a place a handful of us could garden together, that would be great, but if that proves unworkable for some of us I was also thinking of hosting a seedball making party to help us engage in a little 'guerrilla gardening'.  A few months from now we could also plan some foraging walks.

        • Joey Lott
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 20, 2009
            I'm interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based such as
            the foraging idea.

            Thanks,
            Joey

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
                Hi, I am here! Sorry I fell off the radar there for a while... I am
                still into meeting up. A couple ideas for a Boston location: For
                standard fare, Sweetwater Cafe, in downtown Boston, is a bar that has
                decent food, some big tables, & the music's never too loud, so it
                could be conducive for conversation. There's also Trident Bookstore &
                Cafe on Newbury St- nice independent bookstore w/ coffee, sandwiches &
                entrees, etc. "Alternative" alternatives: Grasshopper- a vegan Asian
                restaurant in Allston that's really good, Diesel Cafe in Somerville- a
                really cool coffee shop that has sandwiches & stuff too. I might have
                more ideas as time nears & we have a better idea of how many people
                are interestded in coming & where they're coming in from... [Any
                input, Michelle, my fellow Boston-ite? :) ] Also, Wednesday March
                11th works for me (or that Monday or Tuesday), but the 13th does not.
                Thanks~
              • Joey Lott
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 22, 2009
                  I'm in Vermont, which isn't particularly close to any of the mentioned
                  locations. But assuming the timing works, I'd be willing to drive for
                  an outdoor event.

                  On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:

                  > Fantastic!
                  >
                  > Would you happen to be near any of the proposed meet-ups? So far I've only
                  > been able to put together foraging trips in RI, but I'd definitely like to
                  > try for some foraging elsewhere in New England.
                  >
                  > On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 12:31 PM, Joey Lott <joey@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I'm interested in the ideas for events that are activity-based such as
                  >> the foraging idea.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks,
                  >> Joey
                  >

                  > --
                  > Daniel N. Quiray

                • fargohinge
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
                    joey, where in vermont are you? I'm just north of montpelier.. maybe
                    we could carpool?
                    -laura

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 23, 2009
                      I hope you guys can carpool or something.  Hopefully, you can get something going up in Vermont, too! (Kris and I totally want to move up there!)

                      This Wednesday, I'll be going to Brewed Awakenings (Johnston, RI) at around 7 PM.  I hope to get some further planning of spring-time events done there, though it's just as likely to devolve into card games like last time (card games, luckily, make a very good rewilding past time).

                      Also, we scouted out a great coffee place in Worcester today.  The location is Acoustic Java on Main Street.  Hopefully, we can meet some people up there, talk a little about rewilding, and maybe make some plans.

                      I've been thinking more about the necessity of what we're trying to put together, especially considering the way things are turning.  Unless you're living under a rock (hmmm, a rock...probably not good roofing...), you know how bad the economy is and how it effects our lives.  Everything is getting more expensive, especially food.    Aside from the overarching goal I've stated I have here to build a community (or several!), I think it's becoming more immediately necessary to become more independent with regards to our food.  Foraging and horticulture are things that are going to be really helpful to us soon.  Permaculture and guerrilla gardening now can be investments in our food self-sufficiency later.  Knowing some tricks to subsistence hunting and fishing will likewise help us sustain ourselves and our families.  Even thinking from the civilized point of view, as so many of us try to have one foot in and one foot out of civilization, these things just make sense in a purely cost/gain sense.  At the very least, our wallets will thank us.

                    • fargohinge
                      Message 10 of 15 , Feb 24, 2009
                        There's actually tons of really cool stuff going on up here... alot of
                        interest in things generally related to rewilding, although i'll admit
                        the trend seems to be more toward permaculture. Besides Roots School,
                        which teaches primitive and earth-based living and survival skills,
                        tracking, and awareness, there is Transition Town Vermont, a gathering
                        of folks seeking to address peak oil/climate change/general absurdity
                        of the global culture by facilitating the further growth of community.
                        Also groups of people meeting implementing permaculture locally,
                        several good herbalism schools, yestermorrow design school, and i
                        could go on...even if some of it is in a more watered-down form than
                        I'd prefer, it's definitely more of a social norm up in these neck of
                        the woods..
                        I'm really excited to network outside of the immediate local
                        community, after having lived in connecticut and massachusetts
                        extensively and feeling like I was the only one involved in such
                        things, I'd love to connect with ya'll and see what you're up to!
                        I'll keep checking in for updates...
                        -Laura
                        --- In rewildnewengland@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...>

                        Message 11 of 15 , Feb 25, 2009
                          Great!  Feel free to post any of those events up there that you think we'd be interested in.  Hel, I might just have to take a drive up and check some out.  I actually have money now, even if it isn't much at all.