the lives of birds

  • asfblue
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18 6:12 AM
      Part of the reason why the lives of other creatures are disregarded is
      that often they are not considered to have lives at all. In this
      case, the geese were merely objects that interfered with the plane as
      evidenced in language like "radar data confirmed the aircraft
      intersected a group of primary targets, almost certainly birds" in an
      AP news story. So we need radar to tell us what happened (in more
      abstract language of course), when the pilot saw what happened & two
      sentences later is quoted as describing "the smell of burning birds"?
      As you pointed out, air travel does routinely kill birds, though not
      just when a plane strikes them, but in the construction of airports
      (destruction of habitat) & of planes (mining) & the pollution inherent
      in all of these (obviously affecting many non-humans [& humans too!],
      not just birds).
      & still, the birds are described as if they were somehow "in the
      way". I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to think the
      creature with wings is the one who has business being in the sky.

      [Also, thanks for adding me to the group. Always comforting to talk
      to folks who see through the madness.]
    • Roxanne Amico
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18 6:24 AM
        Hey--I just found this discussion you started about this, Dan--Thank you!  I've been thinking the same thing.  One thought I can add right now...  I was thinking about how this happens all the time--Both how the news reports it and how the birds do get killed all the time and no one reports that.  That the real heroes are the birds everyday.  But ultimately, I am re-reading two books right now, __Walking on Water__, by Derrick Jensen, and __While the World Burns--50 Simple Things You Can Do To Stay In Denial__ by Jensen and MacMillan....  My thoughts about this the past few days:  I wonder if the birds were on a suicide mission.  Nonhumans have been doing this in droves lately--throwing themselves into the machine of human civilization.  Either way, it's heartbreaking that they died like this, and I am grateful to you, Dan for how you articulated this, right in the beginning, how their lives were given for no food, fed no one, while so many starve......

        Guess I said more than one thing!
        Thank you for this discussion--Been stuck in my head about this since hearing it, and yelling at the radio everytime I hear it covered.

        -Roxanne

        * * *
        derrick jensen & radio roxanne-premise one:
        http://www.spiritmorphstudio.com/radioroxanne10-7-2008.html

        ~ http://www.spiritmorphstudio.com/ ~
        Earthstream Creative Projects, Inc.
        http://www.myspace.com/radioroxanne
        http://mobilebroadcastnews.ning.com/profile­/RoxanneAmico
        "so hear the voices, let them speak.  we're talking about presence acknowledged."
        (studs terkel)
        "if miracles are needed, let them issue from our hands" (one people)

        *superb online marketing consultation:  www.othymes.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18 9:04 AM
          just a tid bit,

          i was reading these emails about the birds, and pondering the thought, how desensitized are we to the world around us? and then (no lie) the next thing to pop up on my yahoo mail page was a large ad for a video game:

          "Duck Hunter"
          "The Number One First Person Shooter!"

          complete with pictures of happy cartoon ducks, waiting to be shot with a plastic pistol.

          sometimes the world slaps you back before you can even finish a thought.

          matteo potenza

          "Do the best that you can in the place where you are, and be kind."
          - Scott Nearing

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18 4:53 PM
            Somehow I missed these emails today when I checked email earlier.

            Thanks everyone, for getting what I was saying and understanding my grief and anger.  I sent this same message to a couple other groups, and basically was called every mean name you can think of.  Oh, and apparently I'm a hypocrite for complaining about this and also being interested in hunting and fishing. :\

            Also, I loved "As the World Burns".  If you liked that, you might also want to check out the illustrator's webcomic Minimum Security.  It's the only vaguely rewilding themed comic I know, and definitely the only one with a rabbit sporting and RPG.
            .