Take Two Re: Murder

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 16, 2009
      Edited for clarity, emotion, and with a bit less caffeine:I think it's pretty messed up the way our culture disregards the lives of other creatures. Yesterday's accident on the runway in New York, or really, the coverage of it, serves as an example. Airliners routinely kill innocent birds, as many of the news personalities have said, and we seem to make no issue of it. Sure, there are plenty of things that kill plenty more birds, such as skyscrapers and high tension lines on cell towers. These are all problems, symptomatic of our disregard for the natural world, and the immense toll that our unsustainable lifestyles have on the world we should be safeguarding. I simply offer up the news coverage of the emergency landing as a recent, small-scale example. People have the habit of thinking of environmentalism purely in terms of carbon footprint, as is the popular thing right now. It is more than that, of course.Discuss.

      On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:
      I'm pretty fucking pissed right now.  I don't know how well you all follow the news, but I'm guessing most of you have seen or read about the plane that had an emergency landing in the Hudson yesterday.

      The television announcers are repeatedly saying that it was so fortunate that nobody died. Fuck that, and fuck them. At least two murders occurred. Not just accidental deaths, but murders! I think serious attention needs to be drawn to the fact that it is definitely, most assuredly murder. It is callous and uncaring murder for the sake of profits and convenience. Many, many cultures define murder as killing that has nothing to do with survival. The Hebrew translations of the Bible say as much. The deaths of these birds, which happens daily and in large numbers, serves to feed nobody, and you can sure as Hel bet that these murdering airline companies don't work to preserve and better fowl habitats. No bellies are being filled with goose meat from these poor creatures tonight, while so many human people starve and eat poisonous filth. This the perfect example of the natural world being ground down in the machines of civilization, in this case quite literally.

    • asfblue
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2009
        Part of the reason why the lives of other creatures are disregarded is
        that often they are not considered to have lives at all. In this
        case, the geese were merely objects that interfered with the plane as
        evidenced in language like "radar data confirmed the aircraft
        intersected a group of primary targets, almost certainly birds" in an
        AP news story. So we need radar to tell us what happened (in more
        abstract language of course), when the pilot saw what happened & two
        sentences later is quoted as describing "the smell of burning birds"?
        As you pointed out, air travel does routinely kill birds, though not
        just when a plane strikes them, but in the construction of airports
        (destruction of habitat) & of planes (mining) & the pollution inherent
        in all of these (obviously affecting many non-humans [& humans too!],
        not just birds).
        & still, the birds are described as if they were somehow "in the
        way". I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to think the
        creature with wings is the one who has business being in the sky.

        [Also, thanks for adding me to the group. Always comforting to talk
        to folks who see through the madness.]
      • Roxanne Amico
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 18, 2009
          Hey--I just found this discussion you started about this, Dan--Thank you!  I've been thinking the same thing.  One thought I can add right now...  I was thinking about how this happens all the time--Both how the news reports it and how the birds do get killed all the time and no one reports that.  That the real heroes are the birds everyday.  But ultimately, I am re-reading two books right now, __Walking on Water__, by Derrick Jensen, and __While the World Burns--50 Simple Things You Can Do To Stay In Denial__ by Jensen and MacMillan....  My thoughts about this the past few days:  I wonder if the birds were on a suicide mission.  Nonhumans have been doing this in droves lately--throwing themselves into the machine of human civilization.  Either way, it's heartbreaking that they died like this, and I am grateful to you, Dan for how you articulated this, right in the beginning, how their lives were given for no food, fed no one, while so many starve......

          Guess I said more than one thing!
          Thank you for this discussion--Been stuck in my head about this since hearing it, and yelling at the radio everytime I hear it covered.

          -Roxanne

          * * *
          derrick jensen & radio roxanne-premise one:
          http://www.spiritmorphstudio.com/radioroxanne10-7-2008.html

          ~ http://www.spiritmorphstudio.com/ ~
          Earthstream Creative Projects, Inc.
          http://www.myspace.com/radioroxanne
          http://mobilebroadcastnews.ning.com/profile­/RoxanneAmico
          "so hear the voices, let them speak.  we're talking about presence acknowledged."
          (studs terkel)
          "if miracles are needed, let them issue from our hands" (one people)

          *superb online marketing consultation:  www.othymes.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18, 2009
            just a tid bit,

            i was reading these emails about the birds, and pondering the thought, how desensitized are we to the world around us? and then (no lie) the next thing to pop up on my yahoo mail page was a large ad for a video game:

            "Duck Hunter"
            "The Number One First Person Shooter!"

            complete with pictures of happy cartoon ducks, waiting to be shot with a plastic pistol.

            sometimes the world slaps you back before you can even finish a thought.

            matteo potenza

            "Do the best that you can in the place where you are, and be kind."
            - Scott Nearing

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2009
              Somehow I missed these emails today when I checked email earlier.

              Thanks everyone, for getting what I was saying and understanding my grief and anger.  I sent this same message to a couple other groups, and basically was called every mean name you can think of.  Oh, and apparently I'm a hypocrite for complaining about this and also being interested in hunting and fishing. :\

              Also, I loved "As the World Burns".  If you liked that, you might also want to check out the illustrator's webcomic Minimum Security.  It's the only vaguely rewilding themed comic I know, and definitely the only one with a rabbit sporting and RPG.
              .