Re: Non-Profits

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2008
      I've been doing some more thinking.  I haven't written out an official sounding thing yet for it, but obviously the organization will need a "staff" of some sort, especially for workshops and in the event that land is actually acquired.  I'm thinking that the staff will be people who are voted in by the existing staff members, and there will have to be someone who is the manager, or something of that sort, who will likely just be the one to handle the finances, be the spokesperson should the need for one pop up, and other such things as that.  The manager will also be voted in by the staff.  I'm thinking of doing it this way specifically to model at least loosely a sort of tribal setup.  I think at least a 2/3 majority should be required for voting people in, but if I could figure out a consensus system that would also work out legally, that would be optimal.

      I guess beyond that, we'll need to figure out policies for how donations will be distributed and spent, what would constitute reasonable reimbursement for people teaching classes and workshops or contributing time, etc. etc., as well as a policy for openly disclosing financial statements to anyone who requests them.  That last part would be something I should probably look at other groups for ideas...perhaps some of those groups Steve mentioned!

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2008
        I've been looking more into standards for non-profits, and one thing that I think I'll need to modify is that the governing board that makes the decisions about finances shouldn't have more than 20% of its members be people who are getting reimbursement from the organizations funds.  One way to remedy this is that nobody would be reimbursed at all, and all donations would go towards materials and spaces for classes and workshops, as well as buying land.  Another is to have a specific financial committee.