Winter Crafts and Non-Profit Corporations

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 9, 2008
      Well, the foraging season is basically over, aside from the handful of roots we might get in the next few weeks.  It's hunting season now, and I doubt very many of us will getting together to go hunting.

      Instead, I propose that we get ahead on planning some winter crafts.  Winter has traditionally been a time for mending and crafting, making things like baskets, clothing, and other necessary tools and goods that will be used throughout the year.  I want to try to get together some workshops or something to craft things.  There are only a handful of things I feel qualified to teach others about, so I'm hoping someone else has a suggestion or three and could facilitate.  My ideas thus far include:

      knitting & crocheting
      basket weaving
      sewing
      wood carving
      rocket stove making (almost finished mine!)
      bow & arrow making

      Feel free to suggest anything useful or just plain fun.  I'm also hoping to get together another workshop to discuss the basic ideas behind rewilding.

      In other news, I'm considering starting a non-profit organization, specifically for the purpose of acquiring and managing land to allow people to live in an indigenous way.  It would serve as a legal means by which to facilitate and protect a 'tribe'.  My reasoning for starting it as a legal non-profit organization would be to avoid having individual ownership of the land, and instead having it communally owned by the 'members', however we end up defining membership.  This would also avoid most or all taxes on the land, as well as likely being a protection from seizure should one member go into debt.  I'm still working on the exact requirements and logistics of such a project, but I figured I'd ask and see if any of you would be interested in helping or had any ideas.

    • redtailrewild
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2008
        Daniel,

        I'd be interested in doing some wood carving. I could use some
        guidance. I've got a bundle of autumn olive shoots that I foraged
        nearby to make a basket out of. I'm also interested in bow and arrow
        making -- or just shooting, I've never shot a bow before.

        When the snow falls, I'd be interested in doing some mammal tracking.
        Doing some basic cooking around a firepit would be cool too.

        --Redtail
      • Michelle Durand