Re: [rewildnewengland] Requesting Feedback

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 29, 2008
      On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:37 PM, matteo potenza <thatwasthegreatest@...> wrote:

      Hey Dan,

      Thanks for sharing the essay. there are some compelling, well constructed thoughts there. congradulations! you have apparently read more than a couple of books of your own volition in this lifetime and dared to take their implications to heart.

      Thanks for the compliment!  Some people have certain gifts that guide what part they'll play in a task as big as rewilding; my gifts are largely intellectual and academic, though I did give my own natural affinity a boost by learning to read very quickly (1,000+ words a minute at my best).  Not to say I'm bad at the practical stuff. :)

      If you haven't already, i highly recommend you read "The One Straw Revolution" by Masanobu Fukuoka. It offers a holistic, radically simple and non-Cartesian approach to agriculture and life.

      I took this book out of the library book, read a few chapters, and while I enjoyed it (sounds a lot like permaculture), it ended up as so many of the library books I take out do: partially read and in a pile of other books needing to be returned, lest I incur a fine.  Perhaps I'll take it out again and finish it, after I finish the three Jensen books, Steve Brill's "The Wild Vegetarian's Cookbook", "Gaia's Garden", and that book about Luddite artistic traditions.  And probably a couple others I took out.  Yea, I have a problem...

      As well, "The Good Life" by Helen and Scott Nearing is a must read for anyone interested in New England homesteading and sustainability. (How could you not be compelled to read about the life of a man who published a book entitled "Oil and the Germs of War" in 1923?) These titles offer, in my opinion, great examples of how utterly practical and desirable it is to get back to the land (if you have access), and be a more responsible agriculturalist.

      I just requested the first of those from the library, the other one apparently isn't in the RI library system.

      I think one thing you should discuss more in the essay is rewilding as a means of living more within our organismic range. One of the key principles of such a movement, i would think, would be to emphasize our need to re-establish a communion with our surroundings. It may ultimately be no boon to us to have access to the whole world if we don't know a thing about where we are. Specifically I am thinking of knowledge of the local flora and fauna and deeper community awareness among other things. Maybe a discussion of how globalization has ultimately disenfranchised the consumer and the laborer by enabling one and exploiting the other. Also, how knowing everything you need is provided close to home shifts the mythology/spirituality of a community.

      Hmm, I like that.  I'm thinking some good, concrete examples would be best.  Concrete examples can only help, especially in the cases you mention.  Despite our culture's obsession with materialism and owning stuff, people routinely say that what makes them happy is good experiences more than products and possessions.  Experiencing the world and the other creatures in it should be talked about a lot.   One of the broad subjects I've been putting effort into learning about lately is making primitive living comfortable, at least to the degree that many of us first-worlders enjoy now. Much of this has included learning to make things for grooming, and also comforts such as good cooking (just learned how to make vinegar!).  These sort of things, explained in concrete ways to show that primitive living need not mean sacrificing creature comforts (and really should include more creature comforts), helps scores in winning peoples' opinions.  And as one of my friends mentioned after doing just a little foraging, she felt like she was in a plentiful world (to which I responded "good, now remember that civilization is ruining that!").

    • redtailrewild
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2008
        Daniel,

        Thank you for sharing this essay -- it makes perfect sense to me.

        --Redtail