Towards Tribalism

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 16, 2008
      If it isn't immediately apparent to everyone by now, holding workshops, classes, and meetups isn't the main, ultimate goal for which I created this email group.  Don't get me wrong, these are all important things and I like doing them, but ultimately they are the means to an end.

      That end is, of course, becoming wild or feral, getting as close as possible to an undomesticated state.  Anyone who's read my shpiel on the main page can figure that out.  Most importantly though, this means living tribally, with a group of friends and family that work as a cohesive egalitarian unit towards living and subsistence.  Learning primitive skills is also important, though slightly less so in my opinion.  Rewilding isn't something you do alone.  So the main point for which I made the group, what I hope to get out of it, is some sort of tribe to eventually form, a group of people willing to live cooperatively and sharing resources and skills; I'm looking to build a community.  I won't venture to guess what exactly this tribe will look like, and it seems unlikely that we could live 100% as foragers given the current state we're in.  Maybe by working out some sort of cooperative living thing, maybe even someday an "eco-village" or something of the sort, we can reap some of the benefits of tribal living by reducing our living costs and such, and having more fulfilling social circles.  Now that I've gotten a "real job" (alas), I'm planning to put aside money from every paycheck to save up for the things that will further this goal, most importantly for some forested land.

      I don't expect everyone who joins the list to want this, of course.  Some, like one member who came and went already, will be entirely interested in primitive skills, and not give a shit about bringing down civilization or living in an egalitarian tribe.  In fact, I doubt most people who join will give a damn about the problems with civilization.  But whatever, we don't all have to think exactly the same; it's probably better that we don't.  All I know is that this is my goal, my purpose for the group.  I'd love to hear from people, and know what they want out of the group.  Communities grow healthy when the members help and support each other.  Let's do that.

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2008
        Pssst, when I said, "I'd love to hear from people, and know what they want out of the group." I meant you all. :P

      • redtailrewild
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 18, 2008
          Daniel,

          I'm hoping this group will help me connect with a few local people who
          would like to unplug from the matrix and rewild together. I'm not
          entirely sure what that will look like, but I'm thinking that moving to
          Maine might be part of the journey. Thanks for starting this group.

          --Redtail

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
              Well, I don't live in a wigwam if that's what you are asking. I live
              in a small modern home with oil heat, electricity, refrigiration, hot
              water, etc. My girlfriend's mother owns the home, and I've lived with
              the two of them for almost 5 years now. How about you?

              On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:16 PM, Daniel Quiray <zalon13@...> wrote:
              > Sounds great! What area are you living in now?
              >
              > On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 6:34 PM, redtailrewild <redtail.rewild@...>
              > wrote:
              >>
              >> Daniel,
              >>
              >> I'm hoping this group will help me connect with a few local people who
              >> would like to unplug from the matrix and rewild together. I'm not
              >> entirely sure what that will look like, but I'm thinking that moving to
              >> Maine might be part of the journey. Thanks for starting this group.
              >>
              >> --Redtail
            • Michelle Durand
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2008
                Hi everyone,

                While I'm not ready to abandon my internal plumbing just yet, I do feel that a return to a more natural state of living is important.  I really like this webgroup and the idea of fostering community.  I look forward to working with you all.

                Sincerely,
                Michelle