Workshop/Meetup Recap

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 3, 2008
      Thanks for everyone who came tonight!  We had an enthusiastic group, and plenty of good discussion that spun off of my material.  I was glad not to be the only one talking, not just because the input was good, but also because I don't generally like the top-down, teacher-to-student type format.  We've all got stuff to contribute, after all.

      So, to quickly recap the stuff we talked about, I ended up not following my outline exactly, and instead compared hunter-gatherer-gardener life to civilized life in many ways, including diet & health, leisure time, social relationships, and stress, and in all areas the h-g-g's came up better.  I also tried to clear up some misconceptions about rewilding and primitive living, and discussed ideas about "primitive purity" and how we can't focus on doing everything like a perfect primitive, or else we'll just become hypocrites.  Just so people knew I wasn't just making claims out of nowhere, I brought what materials I could to reference, like Marshal Sahlin's "The Original Affluent Society", Jason Godesky's "The Thirty Theses", and other similar stuff (in case any of you want sources).  We ended up also doing plenty of ranting about the insanity of a culture that destroys the environments it depends on, and sampling some of mine and Kris's fruit leather, which came out pretty good!

      We also talked a bit about future events we might want to do.  So far, there's plenty of interest in having a foraging walk, potentially at the Heritage Memorial Trail off of Rt. 44.  This is great place to take a walk, and there seems to be a fair amount of forage along the paths.  I might try advertising it as a free event for teaching people about foraging, maybe at local stores like Foodworks, since the Weed Walk facilitated by them was so successful at attracting a good crowd.  We talked about doing it maybe on a Wednesday in the next two weeks.  Let me know when a good time is for everyone, and we can work out a good day.  Obviously, this would need to be done during the day.  There was also interest in getting together to learn how to make bows, which I can also facilitate, but we should probably do sometime soon as it's mostly an outdoor activity and we might not want to do that in the cold.

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2008
        Okay, so here's a bit of an update on the foraging walk thing.  We'll need to do this soon before there isn't any more foraging to do.  Next Wednesday my partner and myself will be going to the Heritage Memorial Trail right off of Rt. 44 in Glocester.  Nothing is required as far as bringing stuff, but what I suggest is that you bring some bags, baskets, or whatever to collect stuff in.  What we need to figure out is the time to meet for this.  What time is good for everyone?