Website with my braintanned hides, crafts, and what I'm up to

  • cybrmarc2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 11, 2011
      Hey everyone,
      Not sure if I've introduced myself here...and since I'm about to ask for help making a living, I feel like giving you all that.
      My name's Marcus, I live in mid-western NH at a land-trust community called Dancing Bones. These days I'm living in a "wigwam-inspired" underground lodge (I'm told I can't call it a wigwam by many...maybe because it has corrugated metal, a subwoofer, and a coffee machine?)
      Since relocating back to NH after doing the lost early-20-something thing, and living in the woods for about 4 years, I've been learning what's available for foraging and scavenging in the area. My stores are low by now, but I came across a lot of bear fat, dumpsterable deer carcases, fall edibles, berries, some fish, and - the main thing right now: hides.
      I decided to launch into tanning hides as a way to make a living, at least financially, and I've been tanning whole hides for sale to people who do re-enactments, natives who do ceremonies, or whomever. Plus I enjoy the sparks and tribulations of inventing new craft items out of buckskin (like buckskin baseball caps with rawhide brims, or using the edibles I gathered to make jewelry: rib-bone and black walnut shell bracelets).
      So, getting to the original point, I need more people to know about what I'm doing with the hides: they're for sale, I do custom order craft items, and can even customize a hide for what you want it for (dyed, grain on, supple and thick or big and flat, ect.) I'm also starting to teach hands-on classes this spring, for those that want to learn the skill themselves. My website with info on all of that is :
      www.wildabandonskinworks.com

      thanks for making it this far,
      -Marcus
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2011
        Awesome Marcus!

        Thanks for joining, by the way. :)  I've been wanting to come up and check out your lodge for a while now.  Hopefully we can get something together in your area soon.

      • cybrmarc2001
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2011
          Hey Daniel (or anyone else interested in visiting,
          Yeah, let me know when you want to come on by. I'm working on the unseparating of work and play, so I could use some heads up to not schedule tanning a hide on a certain day, to clean my lodge of tools and buckskin scraps, to buy some wine, ect. :)
          Also, we're still doing the once a season wild and local potlucks, so I'll remember to post about those on here too. Next one won't be until spring has sprung.
          Finally, I wanted to mention I'm doing a hide tanning class on April 16th. I'll trot around with people all day, showing, demonstrating and inviting you to work on hides in every stage of the process and then at the end I'll have scraps of finished skin we can work on starting small projects with and the finishing techniques I've come across. Goes from 10am-4pm, a wild-food infused lunch is included, and in return I ask for $50/person to continue crafting my life here in the woods.

          thanks,
          until next time