Re: [rewildnewengland] Sunday Gathering

  • Joshua Fecteau
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 18, 2010
      Daniel and everyone,

      Thank you for sharing the autumn olive love!  That spot is absolutely loaded!  In two short hours, my girlfriend and I were able to gather more than 7 gallons of fruit.  We spent a few hours cleaning them at home (removing stems, leaves, and the occasionally nasty one) and now we have tons of clean,beautiful berries to use in recipes.

      Speaking of which, does anyone have an autumn olive recipe they would like to share?

      We will be making several gallons into fruit leather.  We cook the berries in a bit of water, mash them up, and put them through a colander to remove the seeds (we've heard of others that skip the cooking and simply put them through a foley food mill to remove the seeds, something we'll try if we get a food mill someday).  Then we spread out the puree on trays and dehydrate overnight.  We're also going to add some puree to apple sauce.

      What do you all do with them?

      --Josh
    • Kristin Bowser
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 18, 2010
        Josh,

         I have used this ketchup recipe with autumn olives.  Just use less sugar.  Or, use maple syrup like I did, and make sure to reduce the water too.  I forgot the cumin, and it was still delicious.  Dan ate it with burdock root chips during his three-week wild food diet.

        Fruit leather and applesauce are about the only other thing I do with them.  There is a chutney recipe with autumn olives on a blog somewhere.  Dan and I want to try it, but it requires a ton of other fruit and veggies.  Also, I found the cooking method much more effective than the food mill method.

        Kris

        --
        Lightning Pop-- http://lightningpop.etsy.com
        Diy and creative recycling