Dinner Parties?

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2010
      First, I just thought I'd mention my new blog for anyone who hasn't already seen it: http://29000acorns.blogspot.com/

      I decided to start it to make more of my writings publicly available, and admittedly to hopefully help me get a job.  I'm putting a lot of my essays on the relationships of rewilding, privilege, and other social issues on there.

      The big thing I want to discuss is the idea of rotating dinner parties.  It was Nancy Reagan or some other conservative figure that used to say that American needed more family dinners.  Well, as much as I hate mainstream political types, there's some wisdom there.  Strong family and community units form over things like shared meals.  Food is an important cultural medium.  It's also delicious if you're a good cook like I am.  In addition, I think dinner parties or something like them would be a prime way to start establishing gift economies on a small scale.

      Here's what I'm thinking: we have people in different areas volunteer to host rotating dinner parties or potlucks or something.  If we have four individuals or couples signing on to this, and decided to have these parties once a week, each individual or couple would only have to host once a month.  It would be less often if more people signed on.  And yet we would regularly interact, and from these regular gatherings be able to plan other activities such as the foraging and skillshares I put together each month.  It would be a small cost for big benefit.

      I'm volunteering to be one of the hosts in this area.  I hope some of you like the idea and choose to host also.