Re: [rewildnewengland] December!

  • Matthew Brault
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2009
      Hey Daniel,

      I hope your doing well. I'm trying to make it possible to go to the gathering this month, seriously :P! Personally, i'm open to anything and everything that I can learn, but I suppose survival basics would be great for everybody - fire making/maintaining (esp. in wet conditions), water, shelter, clothing. Learning how to identify, prepare, and ethically harvest edible and medicinal plants/mushrooms is really high on my focus. Learning how to make and use organic traps and snares would be great. Learning how to ice fish/regular fish with natural materials. Learning how to cook without modern appliances. Learning these ancestral skills during the winter would be really useful, because the winter is such a stumbling block (for me). Like I said earlier though, I'd love to learn anything and everything :)

      I could help teach a few thing's, like how to make leather bags/pouches from recycled leather clothing, making arrowheads out of glass bottles, kolrosing (an ancient scandinavian technique for permanently decorating wood using the bark of trees). I can bring along a hand drum if anyone wants to jam/dance.

      I will most likely be at my fathers place this 25th, which will either be in Warwick or Coventry, RI. It's probably going to be my only chance of getting to go to the gathering. I could get dropped off somewhere, I hope! Getting home is my only worry.

      I hardly login to this email much, Matthew.Brault@... is my main email account and will ensure that I get back to you swiftly.

      Best wishes,
      Matthew

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 19, 2009
        Hey Matthew (and everyone else)!

        This sounds like some great stuff.  We should try to get some folks together soon.  I want to add something that I think is important.  When we learn skills, I want us to learn more than 'survival' skills because wild humans do much more than survive: they thrive.  As my friend Jason likes to put it, we should practice thrival rather than just survival.  I think using this as our frame of reference in learning our skills can do a lot to aid us in rewilding.

        If you're going to be in Warwick or Coventry, I might be able to bring you back somewhere, depending on the day and my work schedule.

        Also, I think I'm going to be having another of my Rewilding and Anti-Civ Thought 101 talks (revised version) at a coffee shop again soon, since Kris and I met a few cool people at a party the other night, and a few of them seemed into the rewilding stuff I told them about.  If anyone is interested, it'll likely be at Brewed Awakenings in Johnston again, since I'm now working across the street (ick).  Maybe a week from today?