November Gathering and Book Club

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2009
      Hey Rewilders!

      Sorry to ignore you for the past couple of weeks! I've been busy starting to organize the book club and trying feebly to write a novel for NaNoWriMo.

      I still intend to have another monthly gathering at the end of the month. I gathered a ton of vines so I think we should attempt to make baskets. What we need first, though, is a location to have it. As the weather gets colder it makes sense to find indoor places. Does anyone have a place that would be appropriate?

      Also, I started putting together a Facebook page for a book club.  It's focused mostly on local meetings for people in the Rhode Island area, but I intend to have the Facebook forum open to people who want to contribute and read along.

      I'm hoping to start the in-person reading discussions this month, so we should figure out the best times for people. I was thinking of every other Friday evening or night. How does that work for everyone? I'm also looking for a good location that isn't out of the way for everyone. My first impulse is to take advantage of the huge new library here in Burrillville, but since most of the local people are in or around Providence it seems better to move it closer to the heart of local civilization. Someone suggested Reflections Cafe in Providence.  Of course, if nobody minds driving up to Burrillville I'd certainly prefer not to drive as far myself. :)

      Instead of covering part of a book, I think we should start off reading some essays. There are two that I really want to cover:

      "The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race" by Jared Diamond
      available athttp://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/claessen/agriculture/mistake_jared_diamond.pdf

      and

      "The Original Affluent Society" by Marshall Sahlins
      available at http://staffwww.fullcoll.edu/amande/sahlins.pdf

      These are both really short essays, under 5 paged each, so I'm thinking about throwing in something a bit more substantial. At some point or another I think we'll basically need to discuss Jason Godesky's (one of the major contributors over at rewild.info) series of essays that examine and shatter many assumptions civilized people hold, aptly titled the Thirty Theses (http://www.anthropik.com/anthropik/thirty/index.html). Perhaps we can discuss a few of them along with the two other essays? They're not exactly Jason's final draft, but they're a good bunch of essays and well footnoted. I think the first ten would be a good number (it's just over 50 pages), but if others don't want to read quite that much in addition to the other essays, we can just do five.

      Let me know what you think, and if you have any ideas.