Self Defense Workshops

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2009
      One of the things the new communities we're trying to create will need to be able to do is defend themselves.  More to the point, individuals need to know something about self defense if they're smart enough to realize that the police aren't there to protect you 24 hours a day (or at all, really).  My feminist inclinations also make apparent to me the importance of women especially being trained to defend themselves, considering the violence civilization basically enforces against women.

      So, to further the goal of us being able to defend ourselves at least somewhat, I'm hoping to put together a handful of workshops centered around various self-defense topics.  For the first, I've gotten my brother to teach us all some basics of martial arts, some exercises he does in training, some strikes and holds, and stuff like that which might help save our lives some day.  He's a trained fighter in Muay-thai and Brazilian Jujitsu (and possible some other styles I'm forgetting), has fought and won some major tournaments, and was offered a professional fighting contract.  Basically, he's really fucking trained, and I think we can benefit from a couple hours of his time.

      In the future I hope to have workshops at which people can learn more ways to protect themselves, like proper use of certain hand-to-hand weapons (knives, stick-fighting, etc.), firearms safety and use, de-escalation strategies, and so on.

      If anyone is interested, let me know.  Hopefully we'll be able to find a time when everyone is available and my brother can come to teach us, and maybe we can find a good spot for us all to learn something useful.

    • Misko Stephane
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2009
        Great move!

        Misko Stephane Collette
        http://kinoodoodaym.blogspot.com/

        misko.kinoo@...
        (819) 582-5457

[...]

        Rewild New England - http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rewildnewe ngland/
        Lightning Pop - http://lightningpop .etsy.com

      • will_lacerate
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 28, 2009
          Incorporating Krav Maga, a martial art the Israeli Military Uses would be beneficial. It is basically anything that hurts. Also fighting stronger, faster, quicker, or long-reach opponents has to be incorporated.