Johannine methodology

  • KennethGentry@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2007
      I agree with you that exegesis is first. And in this case the pre-drama,
      introductory, didactic statements by John in Rev 1:1, 3 inform us that the events
      are shortly to come to pass. So whatever is going on must be in the near
      future. And when we look at the NT expectation elsewhere (e.g., Mt 24:34; Heb 8:13;
      etc., etc.) we see recurring emphases on some dramatic events about to take
      place.

      A part of exegesis involves not only the near context but the broader
      context. And in this case the broader context involves numerous first Christian texts
      that expect the end of the old covenant era.

      Furthermore, ever major academic Revelation commentary I read speaks of
      John's rather sophisticated, high-level theological exegesis himself. There is a
      method in John's madness, you might say. I feel that I am following his
      methodology of engaging broader Scripture themes.

      My mentioning I would almost have to give a commentary to explain my answers
      simply meant to recognize that for every two or three texts I could mention,
      there would be contrary analyses. And all of these analyses (including my own!)
      come from within broader structural themes. All statements require
      interpretation. There are no brute facts. All words occur within contexts. Hence, my
      lament.

      Kenneth L. Gentry, Jr., Th.M., Th.D.
      Director, GoodBirth Ministries
      <A HREF="www.goodbirthministries.com">GoodBirth Ministries</A>

      Owner, KennethGentry.Com
      <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A>
      "Serious Studies for Serious Christians"

      Revelation Commentary Project
      If you would like to give toward funding my research on
      Revelation please go to <A HREF="www.KennethGentry.Com">KennethGentry.Com</A> then click
      on "Revelation Commentary Project."
      </HTML>