Re: [revelation-list] 144,000

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 18, 2007
      On 18 Dec 2007, at 17:08, KennethGentry@... wrote:

      > I understand the untold multitude to be the eventual RESULT of the
      > protection
      > of the marked 144,000. The 144,000 are "first fruits" (Rev 14) which
      > lead to
      > a later, larger harvest.

      OK, but I wonder whether this relates to my earlier question about
      what our shared assumptions are as a discussion group.

      I think I have a difficulty with this approach, with has to do with
      methodology. You appear (correct me if I am wrong) to be working from
      a fairly high-level theological construction of what is happening in
      relation to covenant themes, and then doing your exegesis in the light
      of that, both in this post and the previous one. Your statement that
      it takes a whole commentary to justify your exegesis of this
      particular texts points to such an approach.

      The difficulty here is that it is the text itself which is the source
      of any theology we might do. So logically (if not temporally) exegesis
      of the text must be prior to any higher level theological framework.

      Without that discipline, all readings will be inherently circular. So
      I could come to the text with a *different* theological conviction, do
      my exegesis in the light of that, and so find the text supports my
      quite alternative position.

      Ian
      Revd Dr Ian Paul
      Dean of Studies, St John's College, Bramcote, Nottm NG9 3DS
      w 0115 925 1114 x 254 h 0115 922 9699 m 07974
      351502
      http://www.stjohns-nottm.ac.uk
      Also Managing Editor, Grove Books Ltd Ridley Hall Road Cambridge
      CB3 9HU
      01223 464748 Fax 01223 464849
      http://www.grovebooks.co.uk