Re: 666 and sixes

  • drjenney2
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2007
      --- In revelation-list@yahoogroups.com, KennethGentry@... wrote:

      > One problem I have with this sort of argument is that it looks at
      "666" as if
      > it were a series of three sixes, whereas actually the text reads
      that it is
      > one number: six hundred and sixty-six.

      True, but only in our regularized text (UBS, NA, etc). P47 (3rd
      century and our earliest witness), for example, has the three Greek
      letters standing for 600 + 60 + 6, as do several later manuscripts.

      Elsewhere, I have argued the liturgical basis for the Apocalypse is
      the 2nd temple celebration of Sukkoth (the Feast of Tabernacles). It
      too has a curious relationship to the number six, as evidenced by a
      first century six-sided drinking vessel depicting symbols from the
      feast (Engle, A. "Amphorisk of the Second Temple Period." PEQ 109
      (1977): 117-22.).

      Blessings,
      Dr. Timothy P. Jenney
      Adjunct, Regent University & Asbury Theological Seminary-Orlando
      Moderator