Re: [revelation-list] Re: Nero

  • Otto Erlend Nordgreen
    Message 1 of 47 , Dec 7, 2007
      Like Ian Paul, I think the evidence at hand points towards a Domitianic date for the Book of Revelation. This would be in harmony with the testimony of Ireneaeus. I am, however, open for a date during the time of Vespasian; both Rev 11 and 17 may be seen as reflecting a post-70 CE situation (cf. arguments presented by scholars like Giet, Feuillet, Bachmann, Giblin).

      A case could be made for an earlier date (say, pre-70 CE); but as it seems impossible to say for sure when the Apocalypse was written, our interpretation of the text should not be (too) depending on a certain date of composition.

      I was wondering if there are others who (seriously) think a Vespasianic date makes sense.

      Best regards

      Otto E. Nordgreen
      Oslo, Norway

    • Laszlo Hubbes
      Message 47 of 47 , Dec 10, 2007
        Dear Dr. Ian R. Brown,

        I would full-heartedly suggest among many others

        Christopher Rowland's and Judith Kovacs's volume on Revelation in the
        Blackwell Bible Commentaries series. (Blackwell Publishing, 2004) - A
        brilliant multi-aspect and multi-level commentary on the Apocalypse, with an
        added emphasis on its reception history.

        Best regards,

        Hubbes Laszlo

        --
        HUBBES L�szl�-Attila, PhD
        www.apokaliptikum.lap.hu

        librarian
        "BOD PETER" LIBRARY,
        Str. Gabor Aron ut 14,
        520008, Sfantu Gheorghe (Sepsiszentgyorgy),
        judetul Covasna.
        Tel.: + 40 (267) 315577
        Tel./Fax: + 40 (267) 351609
        e-mail: biblio@....